CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Football Welcomes (Refugees)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedarkhorse
First Team
First Team

Topics: 19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Football Welcomes (Refugees) Reply with quote

Hi
I missed the game yesterday, but was there anything in the programme about Amnesty's Football Welcomes Refugees

The Evening Standard ran an article about it

http://www.standard.co.uk/spor.....19621.html

Some clubs (like Sheffield United!) gave tickets to locally based Refugees, which I thought was pretty cool.

Ta

Full disclosure, I'm an Amnesty member and pretty active. I'd be interested to know what the Crawley fans would think about this
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. I'm not an Amnesty member but have sometimes been active in other ways.
Purely from a business perspective it makes sense too because we are on Gatwick's doorstep and there's a possibility that some refugees will settle in the area - so they could become long term paying customers once they get on their feet. And even if they don't, what's the harm in a bit of kindness for someone who been through loads of grief?
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large diverse sectors of Crawley dont tend to support the club ive always thought we are missing an opportunity here to reach out to more potential local support.
Damo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
Sounds good to me. I'm not an Amnesty member but have sometimes been active in other ways.
Purely from a business perspective it makes sense too because we are on Gatwick's doorstep and there's a possibility that some refugees will settle in the area - so they could become long term paying customers once they get on their feet. And even if they don't, what's the harm in a bit of kindness for someone who been through loads of grief?

Good post. Great initiative.
Alex BH
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 54

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh *beep* is there any area of society that 'social justice' doesn't interfere with; Politics, the media, education, the workplace and now sport.

If anybody thinks these economic migrants will turn into long term supporters they are deluded, we've tried attracting people in the area, people that have lived here all there lives, and they don't care about Crawley, what makes you think this would be any different?
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex BH wrote:
If anybody thinks these economic migrants will turn into long term supporters they are deluded, we've tried attracting people in the area, people that have lived here all there lives, and they don't care about Crawley, what makes you think this would be any different?

Isn't this simply meant as a gesture of humanity rather than a marketing ploy..?

In fairness... a lot of these people have suffered enough already Shocked
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that one person's refugee is another's economic migrant.
The OP wasn't about economic migrants - it was about refugees. Although there may be some overlap, that is for others to determine. Those who seek asylum are not permitted to work, so letting them into a half-empty ground sounds good to me. It might also be a good thing if those on whatever unemployment benefit is called these days could have a similar concession.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Football Welcomes (Refugees) Reply with quote

thedarkhorse wrote:
Hi
I missed the game yesterday, but was there anything in the programme about Amnesty's Football Welcomes Refugees

The Evening Standard ran an article about it

http://www.standard.co.uk/spor.....19621.html

Some clubs (like Sheffield United!) gave tickets to locally based Refugees, which I thought was pretty cool.

Ta

Full disclosure, I'm an Amnesty member and pretty active. I'd be interested to know what the Crawley fans would think about this

I didn't hear anything about it. I suspect that's because we have a skeleton staff off the field and don't have the people to manage this. It creates goodwill and good PR for the club but it needs a couple of volunteers to help.
thedarkhorse
First Team
First Team

Topics: 19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys (and possibly gals)

It's really heartening to have such a positive response from the fans on here. I was a bit apprehensive when I posted but and am happy I was wrong.

It may run again next year. If so, I'll get in contact with the club in advance and see if I can help them get the ball rolling.
Alex BH
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 54

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Alex BH wrote:

Isn't this simply meant as a gesture of humanity rather than a marketing ploy..?

Oh, how can you be so naive Thad, I thought you were meant to be switched on, the campaign is backed by Amnesty (a political advocacy group) and Kick It Out (another political advocacy group). Of course it's political, it's virtue signalling showing that these clubs are politically trendy. They can keep their social justice and shove it where the sun don't shine.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex BH wrote:
thad wrote:
Alex BH wrote:

Oh, how can you be so naive Thad, I thought you were meant to be switched on, the campaign is backed by Amnesty (a political advocacy group) and Kick It Out (another political advocacy group). Of course it's political, it's virtue signalling showing that these clubs are politically trendy. They can keep their social justice and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Hang-on... If you look back, I was just responding to your (non-political) point about attracting them as fans, which I never saw as part of the intention...

scratch

As it happened I knew Amnesty were sponsors, as the original post graciously declared their allegiance... but to me it actually still remains a simple gesture of humanity.. in much the same way that I arranged for the match-day local hero scheme to honour the family of a soldier who had been killed in action... in a conflict that I have never endorsed..!

FYI: The 2nd part of my post - about their suffering - was intended as a joke.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex BH wrote:
thad wrote:
Alex BH wrote:

I know that some organisations have hidden agenda, but maybe, with this single issue, you're seeing it where none exists? And no, I'm not Thad, but this is an open forum.
You may well have good reasons for objecting to organisations that normally work against political oppression (generally) and racism (in football), but this thread isn't concerning either Kick It Out's or Amnesty's usual activities, it's about Amnesty's desire for clubs to provide refugees with a little entertainment (or not!) and to help them feel welcome.
I'm imagining if I were bombed out of my home and needed to flee to another country. I would be grateful for a local club inviting me to watch them play. It would be a helpful distraction from my other problems.
mustaphashot
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 293

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dear-AMNASTY rears its ugly head, not only in football, but on our beloved CTFC Fans Forum in the talk football section. AMNASTY would have let the Germans walk in during World War 2! There is no place for politics in football, let alone this forum and it upsets me that this thread exists. So here I go: There is certainly a refugee crisis in the UK-there are too many of them here. Can the waiting lists at Crawley and other hospitals cope with any more people. We have more human rights to school places, NHS treatment, care for the elderly than any newly arrived refugee. There is not enough to go round. There are plenty of countries nearer the refugees home countries, so ask yourselves why they try so hard to get to the United Kingdom of Benefits Handouts. Here is a message-We don't want you, no more please!

Now- I am upset that politics has been put on here, These are my views. I don't care if this has to be my last posting on here. Any flak from the liberal, Guardian reading let-em-all in, lefties will just be water off a duck's back. So there!
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I thought it was about letting a few refugees into some under-subscribed football matches rather than wider political stuff.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
Funny, I thought it was about letting a few refugees into some under-subscribed football matches rather than wider political stuff.

That's how I read it too.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: