CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Mid-Season report
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Mid-Season report Reply with quote

As the Plymouth game is the 23rd fixture in a 46 game league season... my analysis as we hit the mid-season point is quietly optimistic.

We are unquestionably still a work in progress and when you remember that we have a management team and owners still getting acclimatised, we have been quite brave... we play an open-style of football - yes, occasionally too open for comfort... but as we already have 29 points on the board, I'd say that any impartial assessment would conclude that we are doing as well as could reasonably be expected and things can only improve.

dontknow

I know some of you guys have expectations & aspirations and maybe feel that my summary lacks ambition, however I'm very pleased with the steady progress at the club on and off the field. More of the same and I will be a very happy Crawley Town FC fan in 2017.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mid-Season report Reply with quote

thad wrote:
As the Plymouth game is the 23rd fixture in a 46 game league season... my analysis as we hit the mid-season point is quietly optimistic.

We are unquestionably still a work in progress and when you remember that we have a management team and owners still getting acclimatised, we have been quite brave... we play an open-style of football - yes, occasionally too open for comfort... but as we already have 29 points on the board, I'd say that any impartial assessment would conclude that we are doing as well as could reasonably be expected and things can only improve.

dontknow

I know some of you guys have expectations & aspirations and maybe feel that my summary lacks ambition, however I'm very pleased with the steady progress at the club on and off the field. More of the same and I will be a very happy Crawley Town FC fan in 2017.

If this translates to 55+ points over the season, it would be hard to quibble and would be a decent feat for a side that was widely tipped for relegation. 60 is quite achievable.
matt_putland
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 98

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are many causes for optimism.

The quality of football on show this year in comparison to the past 2 or 3 years is a massive step forward.

Drummy has opted to bring in technically adept players such as Enzio, Roberts, Banton and shortly Dean Cox as opposed to the cloggers of yesteryear who invariably came with a reject stamp from Stevenage.

The club also seems more stable off the pitch which is a hugely refreshing change.

There are improvements needed on the pitch, in the full back positions i'm not sure there is enough quality and I'd like to see another forward on board to share the goalscoring burden with Collins.

That said, currently sat 5 points from a play off position I don't think a tilt at that is unrealistic. Historically the magic figure to make the L2 playoffs is between 70 and 75 points. That probably means winning just over half of the remaining matches. Ambitious but not impossible
Wodin
First Team
First Team

Topics: 53

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....to all the above Smile
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt_putland wrote:
The club also seems more stable off the pitch which is a hugely refreshing change.

Part of that stability is the quiet supportive calm exuded when we went through a spell of poor results, which gives encouragement for the long-term.

Everybody held their nerve and just got on with it - well, apart from a few hysterical attention-seekers on the forum who love to create panic. Wink

I'd love a trip to a playoff final at Wembley for the gains it will deliver to our club and maybe more pertinently, our town... in truth that will require a level of consistency that we have yet to attain but hey-ho, don't stop dreaming... after all, we are only five seasons away from winning the Champions League..!
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt_putland wrote:
I think there are many causes for optimism.

The quality of football on show this year in comparison to the past 2 or 3 years is a massive step forward.

Drummy has opted to bring in technically adept players such as Enzio, Roberts, Banton and shortly Dean Cox as opposed to the cloggers of yesteryear who invariably came with a reject stamp from Stevenage.

There are improvements needed on the pitch, in the full back positions i'm not sure there is enough quality and I'd like to see another forward on board to share the goalscoring burden with Collins.

That said, currently sat 5 points from a play off position I don't think a tilt at that is unrealistic. Historically the magic figure to make the L2 playoffs is between 70 and 75 points. That probably means winning just over half of the remaining matches. Ambitious but not impossible

Yes, agree with all of that.

Not sure about Jason Banton though, I thought he was a SSC player these days?
Broadfield Dave
First Team
First Team

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly haven't seen as much improvement in the quality/excitement of football that I was expecting, and am still concerned that the squad has too many who would struggle for a game in the Conference South, but that we every now and again put in a strong and slick performance is at least a step up from previous years.

It's concerning that we're so often soft as sponge at the back, conceding 3 or more to any average team that commits men forward or has a lump of a striker up top. We have decent individual options so that comes from organisation, which is severely lacking most of the time. If a new left back isn't signed in January then I will truly despair.

As long as Cox has the desired effect though and we finally figure out how to get even remotely regular service to Collins (and that has improved of late) then we should be fine. Mid-table is absolutely acceptable this year, as long as we show progress. Slowly, it seems to be getting there.
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

Topics: 59

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer the style of play from the previous couple of seasons and people keep telling me that everything is wonderful behind the scenes but, dear lord, something has to happen with our defence. Every team who lump the ball down the channels scores goals against us and seeing that is the preferred method of play for most of the teams in this division we are being seriously undone by teams that are not as good as us.

Also, we seem to play well in a couple of games then go to pieces in a couple (I'm not on about winning or losing just how we play). It frustrates me so it must do the same to our management but still it happens.

In summary; not bad but if we applied ourselves we could do better.

Jim Baker
Graeme
Coach
Coach

Topics: 68

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid-Season report Reply with quote

thad wrote:

dontknow

I agree totally with this. If we made the playoffs it would be just luck but if we don't and ended up midtable I would be more than pleased with things on and off the field. But I hope we build on this and the core of the team move on to next season.
John The Gas
Coach
Coach

Topics: 85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like my School reports - Can do better.

JTG
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid-Season report Reply with quote

thad wrote:

dontknow

Thad , as always, you are the most articulate and intelligent person on this forum. Your 1/2 way through assessment is spot on. Well done sir.
salut
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely an improvement on last season, which is the absolute minimum needed. I think we can and will improve as this season was always about laying foundations.

I will stick with my start of season prediction of 13th which is much higher than most people thought we would finish. However, I also said Accrington would be promoted which looks far-fetched at present!
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mid-Season report Reply with quote

thad wrote:

dontknow

Nail on head, Thad.

For a team that was consider dead in the water by the bookies, could we reasonably be doing any better than we are?

Certain areas need improving, of course, but with Mr Cox coming in it could be an interesting second half. It'll be fun to look up rather than down even if neither are likely.

If we keep the majority of the squad together for next season and make some good additions then we really might have a should next term.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD is still on trial unproven but i now drink from.a glass half full rather than half empty.

Time will tell but the overall match day experience has improved and for that I say well done. Its not impossible with a good run to get into play offs. We should be up as champions in this poor league but promotion can still happen. We are on course or thereabouts. Job part done with more to do.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a bit of positive affirmation chaps, for balance my reference to "hysterical attention-seekers on the forum who love to create panic" was something posted about me in the past.

On a personal note it is a major step forward to refer to owners with the confidence of knowing precisely who they are... no smoke & mirrors... you cannot really progress without that bond of trust and - others may disagree - IMHO it has inhibited us in the past two seasons.

For a tangible measure of how far we have come I offer you Messrs Smith & Young, neither are world-beaters, but this season they have become reliable team players that we have come to expect a decent shift from... that must be to the credit of the two players and also those who have worked with them...

scratch

Gotta question why it took a novice like DeeDee to find the right formula while managers with loads more experience failed.. it makes me wonder if the talent was always there but it was the belief that was missing. .?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: