CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

The definitive sack Yates thread..
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: The definitive sack Yates thread.. Reply with quote

As there are certain forumites determined to hijack every other thread with a dig at the manager... I will attempt to give the matter it's own thread.

I have not always enjoyed watching CTFC this season, I buy my ticket and am entitled to my opinion, but I am not sure the manager is solely to blame or that there is any real point in making changes at this stage of the season.

The criticism of Yates amounts to:
- He has placed a pragmatic need for points above the need for entertainment....

That's it... he has made his priorities clear... so... c'mon...
- Is there anyone out there who thinks he has got that priority wrong..?
- or is there a rival manager who would have taken an alternative approach with guaranteed success...?

dontknow

We live in a civilised country - Is football the only area where the shouts of the angry mob supersede any regard to individual rights, reasonable dialogue, employment laws and a sense of fairness... which are all matters that the citizens of this great nation usually hold in high regard. And I know all about angry mobs!

In my professional life I have sacked people and also addressed calls to sack people, what matters is that you operate in an objective manner and deal in facts.

To publicly call for someone to be sacked is IMHO not cricket... by all means present an articulate compelling argument about the positive benefits of making a change... but to just mindlessly call for someone to go... is negative, insensitive and very very boring..!

My proposal is to consign it to this thread and people can then take part or ignore it, their choice.
Sulton111
First Team
First Team

Topics: 30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Thad i will start as everyone else has gone shy

I don't think for one Minute MY should be sacked before the end of the season, i don't see the point in wasting the money finding a new manager and staff with 10 or so games left of the season, wwhat could a new Manager change at this stage?

I do think MY had trouble bringing in any sort of quality on a Permanent basis rather than the loans as they have been very good in most cases.

While he was straddled with players on big money contracts and had little of a budget left he knew this before taking on the job, he also didn't manage to move many if any of the large wage earners on so the lack of quality in the squad i believe sits partially at his door.

The football has been dire at times, Hartlepool being a great example of MY lack of tactical awareness and starting with a team hell bent on defending a 0-0 when we are all but safe will not bring supporters through the gates, there has been few games this season where a friend of mine has said wow your a good side.

I would say though that he has got us to safety, he was certainly a steady hand at the helm and he knows how to get a result when his back is against the wall.

In short he is a decent mid table L2 manager who is destined for a career in mid table obsecurity.

If the owners want to push the club forward we need a forward thinking manager who has good contacts in the game that can get us playing the right way without breaking the bank - is there such a manager?

if money was no object Steve Cotterill would be my choice
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pretty good assessment Sulton... more performances like we played against Newport will have them rolling up... more performances like Hartlepool and even shopping seems like a better option...

Rolling Eyes

...but as the matches featured a similar group of players, it is very difficult to seriously calculate to what extent the manager is accountable..?
nemo
Coach
Coach

Topics: 81

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nemo on Tue May 24, 2016 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep Yates and bring back Steve Evans as director of football
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacking Yates now would be daft. He was brought in to maintain league football on a shoestring budget. Job done (well, nearly).
If funds are made available for a higher playing budget next season, I think Yates could do pretty well if given a couple of years. Not sure how the financial fair play stuff would work though - I believe there are ways around it, but question how creative the accountancy ought to be.
I do like MY's style. No glitz or glamour, just try to get the job done. Sometimes done well, sometimes not.
Sulton111
First Team
First Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
That is a pretty good assessment Sulton... more performances like we played against Newport will have them rolling up... more performances like Hartlepool and even shopping seems like a better option...

Rolling Eyes

...but as the matches featured a similar group of players, it is very difficult to seriously calculate to what extent the manager is accountable..?

Cheers Thad and i agree it is indeed difficult to calculate his accountability, however it always seems to be the manager who is judged by performances rather than the players
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't see Mark Yates being part of Mr Erens football philosophy, therefore, he'll be thanked for all his efforts and let go at the end of the season with a glowing reference in his back pocket.
redz75
Coach
Coach

Topics: 273

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got another year's contact so he is likely to be the manager next season - if you look at his previous management at Kidderminster and Cheltenham his second third seasons have been better, getting Kiddy to the FA Trophy final and Cheltenham to the playoffs. He also has a good eye for young talent - had Buckland at Cheltenham, also Marlon? Pack, Wes Thomas all have gone on to play at higher levels.

I would at least give him ago next season and see how he does with his own team as most of the current squad are out of contract
Warren
Coach
Coach

Topics: 299

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barring RR&R, I don't think anyone can complain with the job MY has done this season.

I'll admit to not being impressed or delighted when we brought him in in the summer, but fair play, he's done exactly what was needed after relegation from League One and has stabilised us.

I don't think he's done anything wrong, and with the players at his disposal, within the budget he was given, I wasn't expecting champagne football under his stewardship, and, admittedly, barring Newport, recent home performances have been pretty drab IMO.

We've no idea where Eren wants to go because, barring the "Championship in 8-10 years" statement, he's not really said too much.

Personally I'd give MY a go at attempting to kick us on next term. He'll get to piece together his squad, with so many out of contract come May time.

I expect an overhaul, and, with a bit of cash to splash, I reckon he'd do a good job and maybe oversee a flirt with the play-offs?
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY does know the league and what is required, and he knows the players around, so is a good choice in my book.

I hope he is kept on to build the team for next year and forward.
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
MY does know the league and what is required, and he knows the players around, so is a good choice in my book.

I hope he is kept on to build the team for next year and forward.

Can't argue with that. He hasn't got the squad he wants at the moment but should be given the chance to do so next time.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey chaps - excellent opinions, well expressed.. Surprised

Sulton111 wrote:
....however it always seems to be the manager who is judged by performances rather than the players

And that highlights one of the anomalies unique to our club... usually it is a question of sheer mathematics.... you cannot get rid of all of the players so ditch the coaches.....

...only at the end of this season... we will likely have more coaching staff left on contracts than we have players...! Laughing

I suspect Mr Eren has a clear strategy and 2nd guessing.. I'd suspect it involves a holistic approach to the entire football operation, possibly a more continental style management structure with a "head coach" in charge of the 1st team... so whether Yates & Dack remain involved is probably highly subject to whoever is appointed in the other roles...(?)
Sulton111
First Team
First Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder is MY would be a better coach than manager like Ritchie Barker?,

Maybe we just need to change the coaching setup a little rather than wholesale changes?
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulton111 wrote:
While he was straddled with players on big money contracts and had little of a budget left he knew this before taking on the job....,

On that point... I have been informed by a highly credible source... that one of the short-listed candidates terminated the interview process very abruptly when they were told the budget and the salary....

..don't kid yourselves - pay attention RR&R - that there was a wide-open field of potential managers prepared to take the job on in the first place..!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: