CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

The gazebo has to go.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: The gazebo has to go. Reply with quote

The bloody thing is a burden and embarrassing.It's always three quarters empty and has more poles then a building site.
Looking at it from the outside is no better.It's filthy and flaps about in the wind and looks cheap and crappy.,honestly,what kind of image does it send to the Crawley public about the club.All it does is confirm the perception to many that the club can't be taken seriously and is tin pot.Is there another club in the lower leagues with a gazebo like ours?,I can't think of one,and for good reason too.I know,I know,it's all about money,but our new owner has an 8 to 10 year plan to get the club in the championship.Well let's start by ripping down the flaps and and finding a company to supply the steel etc to build a proper stand....oh hang on.

We could then blazen Crawley Town football club on the side of it.How good would it be seeing huge bright letters that light up at night forcing people to take notice.
Mr Eren please make this happen.
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: The gazebo has to go. Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
The bloody thing is a burden and embarrassing.It's always three quarters empty and has more poles then a building site.
Looking at it from the outside is no better.It's filthy and flaps about in the wind and looks cheap and crappy.,honestly,what kind of image does it send to the Crawley public about the club.All it does is confirm the perception to many that the club can't be taken seriously and is tin pot.Is there another club in the lower leagues with a gazebo like ours?,I can't think of one,and for good reason too.I know,I know,it's all about money,but our new owner has an 8 to 10 year plan to get the club in the championship.Well let's start by ripping down the flaps and and finding a company to supply the steel etc to build a proper stand....oh hang on.

We could then blazen Crawley Town football club on the side of it.How good would it be seeing huge bright letters that light up at night forcing people to take notice.

Did you go to Accrington recently (or in 2012)? Makes you realise what a decent ground we actually have. The gazebo isn't great, but can be improved.
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: The gazebo has to go. Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

Bristol Rovers have an away seating gazebo, and Barnet had a smaller version at Underhill I think.
We can NOT take down the gazebo because then Alan Williams would have to remove from his CV that he planned and oversaw the building and construction of a fantastic new 2100 seater east stand at the Broadfield Stadium.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: The gazebo has to go. Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

Dunno if you all caught the story recently about the two fans from the Netherlands who travelled over to watch us play at Orient.... their interest in us was sparked off by serendipity, staying in a local hotel and travelling by car to a Premier league game in London, they caught sight of the "Hockton's Folly" giant football on a local roundabout and they became fascinated by Crawley Town FC...

...well... you may not agree with Lee's point or where it sits in the priority list... but I think the tale of our Dutch fans neatly illustrates the point that image & perception matters.. luckily they were more impressed by the community art than deterred by the gazebo..!
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: The gazebo has to go. Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

Of course we could do better, however if we hadn't installed it when we did we could have lost our league status due to ground grading.

The new stand at Oldham cost 6.5m and Northampton was budgeted at 4m so it is a significant investment and I can't see us doing anything until it's clear whether we are looking to stay at the Broadfield longer term.

I would imagine there is a bit of a backlog of spend at the ground anyway. Those who sit in the West Stand can see the paint (or is it powder coating) peeling off the top of the BW and KRL stands for example.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The gazebo has to go. Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

Honesty, if someone went out of their way to write a parody of an unrealistic football fan then they could not have done any better than this post from Lee66.

Without the Gazebo Stand we could not be a Football League club, plus it raised our capacity by a thousand. Someone may want to correct me, but I believe the total cost (everything, planning, foundations etc) was 1m. If you can think of another viable option that we can afford then please make some suggestions.

Whilst I agree it could be smartened up in the summer and some external branding would be good, the Gazebo Stand will be here for a long, long time.

And there have been plenty of football clubs in the football league that have used temporary/semi-temporary stands: Bournemouth, MK Dons, Rotherham, Brighton, Blackpool, Barnet and Bristol Rovers - and that's just off the top of my head.

Anyway, the most surprising aspect of Lee66's post is that he has an opinion at all since he does not go to games as he finds them boring.
lee 66
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The gazebo has to go. Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

Honesty, if someone went out of their way to write a parody of an unrealistic football fan then they could not have done any better than this post from Lee66.

Without the Gazebo Stand we could not be a Football League club, plus it raised our capacity by a thousand. Someone may want to correct me, but I believe the total cost (everything, planning, foundations etc) was 1m. If you can think of another viable option that we can afford then please make some suggestions.

Whilst I agree it could be smartened up in the summer and some external branding would be good, the Gazebo Stand will be here for a long, long time.

And there have been plenty of football clubs in the football league that have used temporary/semi-temporary stands: Bournemouth, MK Dons, Rotherham, Brighton, Blackpool, Barnet and Bristol Rovers - and that's just off the top of my head.

Anyway, the most surprising aspect of Lee66's post is that he has an opinion at all since he does not go to games as he finds them boring.

Morning bedwetter.
Hows the "friends" box set going.

The gazebo actually cost 300,000.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The gazebo has to go. Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

Morning bedwetter.

Haha! Even better then!

Thank you for strengthening my point. You're not very good at this debating thing, are you.

Can you name a cheaper option then than 300k that would secure our Football League status?
Born Late 58
Trainee
Trainee

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever been to the away end at the Priestfield Stadium, Gillingham. Same construction, and that's not even covered.
GillsMan
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born Late 58 wrote:
Have you ever been to the away end at the Priestfield Stadium, Gillingham. Same construction, and that's not even covered.

I was just about to mention that one! And it's been like that for years!
Click to view this image at its original size
Click on the image to view it at its original size
Sussex Boy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF it was to be ripped down and replaced and I say IF..

We need to build a stand the same as the West Stand, minus the changing rooms and offices.

If this was to be done it would give the ground an equal more professional look.

If there are any ground improvements to be made by the new owner then that should be it.
David R
First Team
First Team

Topics: 33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GillsMan wrote:
Born Late 58 wrote:

I was just about to mention that one! And it's been like that for years!
Click to view this image at its original size
Click on the image to view it at its original size

That meccano set construction makes the gazebo look like The Empire State building,
(well, not quite)
lee 66
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The gazebo has to go. Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

Morning bedwetter.

Haha! Even better then!

Thank you for strengthening my point. You're not very good at this debating thing, are you.

Can you name a cheaper option then than 300k that would secure our Football League status?

Bich we don't all sit in our bedroom watching "friends" and debating.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The gazebo has to go. Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
lee 66 wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

Morning bedwetter.

Haha! Even better then!

Bich we don't all sit in our bedroom watching "friends" and debating.

Playing the man and not the ball again, Lee66. Poor even by your standards.

And yes, of course the Meccarno end at Gillingham and the small Meccarno extension at Accrington. So, noooooooooooo, no-one uses temporary stands.

It was mentioned above about building a similar stand to the West Stand minus the offices etc. The Gazebo Stand is bigger than the West Stand, to replace the capacity would be a couple of million.

Whilst we're in League Two and struggle to fill the ground and fill the bench I really do think we have other priorities.
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 208

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussex Boy wrote:
IF it was to be ripped down and replaced and I say IF..

We need to build a stand the same as the West Stand, minus the changing rooms and offices.

If this was to be done it would give the ground an equal more professional look.

If there are any ground improvements to be made by the new owner then that should be it.

Except it can't be the same as the west stand. The netting behind the gazebo is the boundary. No way can you built a 'proper' concrete stand in that available space. The land behind belongs to WSCC who I gather want to retain it.

I hate the gazebo with a passion, but with the constraints we have in terms of land space let alone money means that we have what we have, like it or loathe it.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: