CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |


Norwich City matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
backofthenet
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Last Visit: 28 May 2017
Posts: 3197
Topics: 421
Location: Oop North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant wrote:
The penalty at the end. Stonewall but the ref couldn't give it as it was his blindside. But the linesman had the same view as us so why he didn't flag is a mystery.

Good performance and good atmosphere too


If you look at the highlights Deadman indicated it came off the defenders chest, although I thought there were too many players in his way for him to see. Maybe that's what the Lino told him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mickf
Coach
Coach


Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Last Visit: 14 Dec 2014
Posts: 3026
Topics: 49
Location: Southgate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think a big club like Norwich would stock more than about 20 pies/pasties? As soon as the first coachload had descended on the kiosk they had run out, even one of the stewards thought it "tinpot". And ridiculous "over stewarding" with as said before families and friend not being able to sit together, they do make it harder for themselves than they need by antagonising people before the start.
Having said all that I like Norwich and the fans (apart from the little toe-rags) and a fine city despite what some were singing!
But I feel it was definitely an opportunity lost and one I think our team of a couple of years ago would have taken, but we just cannot score goals just like last season(McCleod first half, Tomlin second when he wouldnt even shoot and the other two blocked on the line and I still cannot see where we are getting any goals from midfield or outside the box).
But it was still a good performance with more passing in the one game than we have done all the other games combined, thought Henderson looked much more the part, the defence excellent and Izale tireless (but he needs to take the chances). Still not sure Smith can run, but a bit better last night and Bobson is definitely worth persevering with.
Lewis Young was talking of needing to grasp this opportunity to show his ability when he signed, well I dont think he has tried very hard and would put O'Connor and his effort in every time (although I would prefer a bit more the finished product).
I do worry our goalscoring record is just carrying on as last season though and that might be our big downfall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AllRed63
Squad member
Squad member


Joined: 06 Mar 2013
Last Visit: 02 Nov 2014
Posts: 354
Topics: 15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
You would think a big club like Norwich would stock more than about 20 pies/pasties? As soon as the first coachload had descended on the kiosk they had run out, even one of the stewards thought it "tinpot". And ridiculous "over stewarding" with as said before families and friend not being able to sit together, they do make it harder for themselves than they need by antagonising people before the start.
Having said all that I like Norwich and the fans (apart from the little toe-rags) and a fine city despite what some were singing!
But I feel it was definitely an opportunity lost and one I think our team of a couple of years ago would have taken, but we just cannot score goals just like last season(McCleod first half, Tomlin second when he wouldnt even shoot and the other two blocked on the line and I still cannot see where we are getting any goals from midfield or outside the box).
But it was still a good performance with more passing in the one game than we have done all the other games combined, thought Henderson looked much more the part, the defence excellent and Izale tireless (but he needs to take the chances). Still not sure Smith can run, but a bit better last night and Bobson is definitely worth persevering with.
Lewis Young was talking of needing to grasp this opportunity to show his ability when he signed, well I dont think he has tried very hard and would put O'Connor and his effort in every time (although I would prefer a bit more the finished product).
I do worry our goalscoring record is just carrying on as last season though and that might be our big downfall.


Should've taken the SnackBar along Mick - sounds like you would have done a roaring trade!! On the pen, I don't think Deadman fancied running round for another half hour! I've got a few Man U supporters at work praying we lose 5-0 on Saturday - I've told'em it ain't gonna happen - we don't fold!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 26 May 2017
Posts: 16179
Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
You would think a big club like Norwich would stock more than about 20 pies/pasties?

Agree that it is a nice welcoming friendly place...

...but what an awful disappointment the food was.... was I wrong to expect a slightly better standard given the "Delia" brand....? well the food is a bit like her nowadays... dried up and crusty... not even any onions for the burgers & hot-dogs... terrible value too... c'mon, lets be 'avin you..!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mickf
Coach
Coach


Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Last Visit: 14 Dec 2014
Posts: 3026
Topics: 49
Location: Southgate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
mickf wrote:
You would think a big club like Norwich would stock more than about 20 pies/pasties?

Agree that it is a nice welcoming friendly place...

...but what an awful disappointment the food was.... was I wrong to expect a slightly better standard given the "Delia" brand....? well the food is a bit like her nowadays... dried up and crusty... not even any onions for the burgers & hot-dogs... terrible value too... c'mon, lets be 'avin you..!

Well I was one of the early ones and got a very nice peppered steak pie which was a proper pie, but there wasnt much else and what was there disappeared very soon! Tinpot! Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 30 May 2017
Posts: 5728
Topics: 63
Location: DFS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People keep moaning about the food.
Work around it by drinking a bucket load of beer,almost enough to make you puke.You won't then feel the need to eat.Simples.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lee 66
Coach
Coach


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 23 May 2017
Posts: 2358
Topics: 104

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I was that impressed with us if I'm honest.We were better then the last couple of matches but that isn't saying much really.We were facing a Norwich side missing a big chunk of their first team ,yet for much of the game we failed to get the basics right.How many times did our players have a poor first touch and then struggle to regain control of the ball and over stretch.

Some of the passing was good but again a lot wasn't .I lost count the number of times a player made the wrong choice when in possession.I was urging someone to run into the space that opened up and take the ball forward.Instead they passed sideways,went back or were simply tackled.
It may seem overly critical but we are judging league One players here,not the Frankie Vines team that faced Gillingham back in the early conference days in a cup competition with only part timers.

We are still lacking that one ingredient needed,Quality.Its clear most of the players put in a shift,although one or two could do better in this area.
But it's the lack of Quality in areas of the pitch where you can hurt the opposition that we have yet to show.We have seen glimpses of it from Edwards when he attacks fullbacks but that's about it.We certainly haven't seen much quality in the midfield and this area still remains a real concern in my eyes.
Getting goals was highlighted by JG at the start of the season as being of paramount importance,yet for all the endeavour and graft shown up top I haven't seen much quality to go with it.

Is the team coming together and improving?
Maybe,it's still very early days,but hopefully they are.I think we're have a good indication after Saturdys match with MK Dons.I just hope the Q word starts showing up or at the vey least we get the badics right and stop making silly little errors or decisions that cost you matches.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 30 May 2017
Posts: 15160
Topics: 214
Location: The Parish of Rusper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:
First goal in open play, well done him.


Apart from McLeod's at Barnsley and against Ipswich and Walsh's against Bradford of course. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Astral Voyager
Coach
Coach


Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Last Visit: 25 May 2015
Posts: 1834
Topics: 111

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armchairfan wrote:
People keep moaning about the food.
Work around it by drinking a bucket load of beer,almost enough to make you puke.You won't then feel the need to eat.Simples.


Or pretend you are Danielle Westbrook and sniff lots of Ajax therefore oppressing the need for food

Here to help guys
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam
Coach
Coach


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 24 Jul 2016
Posts: 2458
Topics: 191

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:
First goal in open play, well done him.


Apart from McLeod's at Barnsley and against Ipswich and Walsh's against Bradford of course. Rolling Eyes


Our goals at Barnsley and against Bradford both came directly from corners.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Astral Voyager
Coach
Coach


Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Last Visit: 25 May 2015
Posts: 1834
Topics: 111

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:
First goal in open play, well done him.


Apart from McLeod's at Barnsley


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gswzRNeRA5c

Stand against the wall Stitch!!!

Click to view this image at its original size
Click on the image to view it at its original size
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 30 May 2017
Posts: 15160
Topics: 214
Location: The Parish of Rusper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Ian wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:
First goal in open play, well done him.


Apart from McLeod's at Barnsley and against Ipswich and Walsh's against Bradford of course. Rolling Eyes


Our goals at Barnsley and against Bradford both came directly from corners.


No they didn't. Neither Walsh or McLeod took the corners. McLeod headed one home and Walsh headed the other home.

The ball was in play and the opposition were able to challenge, therefore the ball was in open play.

These goals were scored direct from corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXKuW55ytNM

A goal scored from penalty, a direct free kick, DIRECT from a corner or a from a goal kick would be not from open play. Thought you knew the game Sam.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam
Coach
Coach


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 24 Jul 2016
Posts: 2458
Topics: 191

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Sam wrote:
Ian wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:
First goal in open play, well done him.


Apart from McLeod's at Barnsley and against Ipswich and Walsh's against Bradford of course. Rolling Eyes


Our goals at Barnsley and against Bradford both came directly from corners.


No they didn't. Neither Walsh or McLeod took the corners. McLeod headed one home and Walsh headed the other home.

The ball was in play and the opposition were able to challenge, therefore the ball was in open play.

These goals were scored direct from corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXKuW55ytNM

A goal scored from penalty, a direct free kick, DIRECT from a corner or a from a goal kick would be not from open play. Thought you knew the game Sam.


A corner is a set piece. Therefore the goals didn't come from open play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 30 May 2017
Posts: 15160
Topics: 214
Location: The Parish of Rusper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:

A corner is a set piece. Therefore the goals didn't come from open play.


BangHead

So the defenders weren't allowed to challenge for the ball once the corner had been taken?

The goal was not scored directly from a corner. It was scored as a result of a corner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach


Joined: 19 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 24 May 2018
Posts: 2868
Topics: 59
Location: Worth actually

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea of from open play is meant to be that the opposition can challenge the person delivering the ball as well as the person receiving the ball (although there is a grey area regarding keeper clearances from hand).

Arguments aside the point that was trying to be put across was that apart from scoring goals from set play routines we haven't... Well, scored any and for a team that was set up to score more goals that is a worry.

Jim Baker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum






This forum is run independently from and has no connection with the Crawley Town Football Club official site
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group :: Spelling by SpellingCow.


  Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit