CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Norwich City matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guildford roader
First Team
First Team

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team is starting to gel much more, a notch up with some excellent build up play. Good to see Henderson increasingly taking control of midfield. Main concerns are our ability to defend against pacey attackers (particularly those cutting inside our fullbacks) and not being clinical in front of goal/lack of confidence to SHOOT.
Ross
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 157

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back 5 looked solid to me (bar GK mistake) but my only little worry was Dickson likes to hold onto the ball a bit too long, use the ball quickly.

Lewis Young was terrible, How he gets near the pitch I'll never know he gives hope to a lot of youngsters though that aren't very good that it's still possible to earn a living from football.

I thought Henderson and Smith worked well together but Henderson's touch let him down on numerous occasions and broke up some of our movements forward.

Izale worked his nuts off I thought, chased almost everything he could and at times the Norwich defence didn't know how to use him at all.

Our goal was well worked and the ball was drilled hard and low into the danger area, everyone swings a leg at it and you don't know where the ball will go. Sadly after we done it and scored we never tried that ball again that was frustrating.

We should have had a penalty, Stonewall.

Gavin Tomlin although when with the ball looked ok, He's not going to work to get it or even run to get it to be precise looks either very very very unfit or just lazy.
Gary M
First Team
First Team

Topics: 21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking to myself at half time that Lewis Young was the worst Crawley player I had seen since non league days and then Tomlin came on.........!!
reigatered
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was proud of the team last night. It was a very capable display against a top Championship side. We were their match for the whole game, even after conceding that very poor first goal. It was only their ability to counter attack with great pace and more clinical finishing that amounted to the difference.

Everyone associated with the club can be very pleased with the standard of performance, we were a great advertisement for League One football.

Many fine individual performances, but my vote must go to McCloud for his energy and threat. Great committment, which he has shown in all the games I have seen him play this season.

Great support from the fans too. A good night despite the scoreline. Only disapointment was Delia's catering!
srn151161
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great team performance from the team last night..We are not going to set the world alight with this squad but budget levels dictate that.

We gave Norwich a run for their money and in no way disgraced ourselves.

Have a feeling our season will be dictated by how often we score first..we look good on the counter attack but not so good at breaking teams down..
Crawley Dan
Coach
Coach

Topics: 179

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, like Saturday, I was happy with how we played. The thing that is starting to frustrate me is how we are happy to play the ball side to side, around the midfield and defence, but as soon as it comes to that final pass to create a chance - we don't make it. We need to start, getting in behind/getting shots off from the midfield.

Izale McLeod ran himself silly, as usual and I thought Oyebanjo was brilliant as well. I will also add, that I'v said it countless times and I will say it again - Lewis Young is CRAP! Was nowhere all game, contributes absolutely nothing and was easily beat for Norwich 2nd goal. We need to sign a GK, DM, Winger and Striker if we are to be comfortable in league 1 I feel.

Good turn out from our fans, great noise all game. Shame the stewards were an embarrassment and caused a lot of hassle for themselves that really was not needed.

Roll on MK Saturday!
Astral Voyager
Coach
Coach

Topics: 111

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley Dan wrote:
Again, like Saturday, I was happy with how we played. The thing that is starting to frustrate me is how we are happy to play the ball side to side, around the midfield and defence, but as soon as it comes to that final pass to create a chance - we don't make it. We need to start, getting in behind/getting shots off from the midfield.

Izale McLeod ran himself silly, as usual and I thought Oyebanjo was brilliant as well. I will also add, that I'v said it countless times and I will say it again - Lewis Young is CRAP! Was nowhere all game, contributes absolutely nothing and was easily beat for Norwich 2nd goal. We need to sign a GK, DM, Winger and Striker if we are to be comfortable in league 1 I feel.

Good turn out from our fans, great noise all game. Shame the stewards were an embarrassment and caused a lot of hassle for themselves that really was not needed.

Roll on MK Saturday!

Ha ha their stewards are cringeworthy one of their not so slim fella kept charging about like a jobsworth one year i went and got a barrage of abuse from the Millwall fans behind me..even his mates were laughing at him...silly billy.Good job our stewards are not the same!

Last edited by Astral Voyager on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
matcowdrey
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally a good, gutsy performance, but the difference in the end was the ability to make it count in the final third.

Jenson's mistake for the first was a terrible shame for someone who's performed so well so far and he clearly (wrongly) thought he'd let the side down by his reaction at the final whistle. His save in the second half is still a mystery to me. I was convinced the ball was in the net (as were most around me) and the next thing it was in his hands. I'm hoping to see that properly on the highlights.

We were generally ok at the back, but the lack of defensive cover from midfield is still my main concern. The midfield are keen to press on (which is always encouraging) and Oyebanjo put a good, effective shift in, but when they midfielders do track back (with the exception of Bawling who worked his socks off) the tackles are weak and few.

As has already been said, Young was hugely disappointing again. The bigger worry for me though was Tomlin. He seemed at best indecisive and at worst, utterly clueless.

The biggest positive for me was McLeod. His work rate was first class, but more impressive for me was that he's started to hold the ball up much better than he has previously. If only he had someone to work with...!

Yes it should have been a penalty, but also we should have made some of the other opportunities count. It's easy to blame the referee for not giving the decision (and don't get me wrong, it was an appalling decision), but we had our destiny in our own hands long before that chance.

Finally, the stewards...! I've said my piece largely on twitter already, so apologies for any repetition, but overzealous would be putting it mildly.

They took the shine off of what could have been a much more enjoyable evening away. The enforced seating in allocated seats, combined with Crawley's inability to sell tickets together meant that some families were split up and children unable to sit with their parents. Common sense should have prevailed, but sadly it didn't.

The number of stewards focused on the travelling support was excessive in the extreme, even down to 4 of them being assigned to the men's toilets at half time...!!!

So, now we can concentrate on the league. I mean, MK Dons away, how hard can that be...!!!??? Wink
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matcowdrey wrote:
So, now we can concentrate on the league. I mean, MK Dons away, how hard can that be...!!!??? Wink

Red Devils twice in a week.

Deja-vu for MK?
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We gave them a fright and on another day... who knows...? Norwich need to thank god for small Murphy's..

...but we do need to be a bit more decisive in the final third and a bit more physical when the opposition break, but approach play was excellent and in the main so was the effort... special mention to Oyebanjo, Edwardes & Bawling who I think is going to become a fans favourite....

..the energy and application of McCleod was amazing, he didn't even seem to get tired but must be frustrated by having to do so much on his own, I'm hoping Matt Harrold might provide that missing piece.

Only downside is that Young & (more surprisingly given his experience) Tomlin need to toughen up quickly, they are too indecisive and lightweight.

But that is really just nit-picking about a great team performance that hopefully we can build on.

Last edited by thad on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross wrote:
The back 5 looked solid to me (bar GK mistake) but my only little worry was Dickson likes to hold onto the ball a bit too long, use the ball quickly.

Lewis Young was terrible, How he gets near the pitch I'll never know he gives hope to a lot of youngsters though that aren't very good that it's still possible to earn a living from football.

I thought Henderson and Smith worked well together but Henderson's touch let him down on numerous occasions and broke up some of our movements forward.

Izale worked his nuts off I thought, chased almost everything he could and at times the Norwich defence didn't know how to use him at all.

Our goal was well worked and the ball was drilled hard and low into the danger area, everyone swings a leg at it and you don't know where the ball will go. Sadly after we done it and scored we never tried that ball again that was frustrating.

We should have had a penalty, Stonewall.

Gavin Tomlin although when with the ball looked ok, He's not going to work to get it or even run to get it to be precise looks either very very very unfit or just lazy.

Very fair summary.

Henderson's delivery from corners needs some work. I would say about half didn't beat the first defender.
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of positives from last night. And the realisation that giving Young a contract was a complete waste of money.

We just need some bite in midfield, someone to direct things because at the back we look ok and up front we will create chances and on any other day you would expect McLeod to put away.

Jensen error for the first, but he'll save us more than he'll lose us.

Young just outmuscled for the second when he was supposed to be covering.

Those two errors cost us. And the penalty at the end. Stonewall but the ref couldn't give it as it was his blindside. But the linesman had the same view as us so why he didn't flag is a mystery.

Good performance and good atmosphere too
Graeme
Coach
Coach

Topics: 68

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad most people (who were there) seemed to think the same as me.
Good team performance. Only difference they took thier chances and we didnt. Not convinced it was a penalty.

I am surrounded by Norwich fans at work, all were very impressed. Several wished thier 14000 could make as much noise as us.
They were in the mainstand opposite us and all he could hear was us.
Think we made a few friends. Very Happy
Andrew
First Team
First Team

Topics: 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

far2jammy wrote:
69 and RRR go and follow Man U they need some of your positive attitude at the moment

I'll think you'll find 69 was if you look at the MK Dons v United thread. And still manages to get his two-pennies worth on this one. Man's a genius (RRR take note) Wink
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:
  It's too early for judgements

laughing4 laughing4 laughing4 laughing4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: