CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

New signing - Lewis Young
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure it is all negativity but Gwion for all his potential and excellent performances in a very few games is still only relatively young and unproven, although hopefully he will do very well.
But Young has had lots of opportunities and seemingly not taken any, so are we in that position of being able to risk one precious place in a small squad on somebody who has not been successful elsewhere but has shown some promise in a weeks trial and a game against County Lge 3 opponents?
Personally would rather as I said before try somebody who had shown goalscoring ability (albeit at a lower or reserve/youth level) or even as Peterborough, Stevenage and Luton have done and sign a "hot prospect" from non league?
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
Not sure it is all negativity but Gwion for all his potential and excellent performances in a very few games is still only relatively young and unproven, although hopefully he will do very well.
But Young has had lots of opportunities and seemingly not taken any, so are we in that position of being able to risk one precious place in a small squad on somebody who has not been successful elsewhere but has shown some promise in a weeks trial and a game against County Lge 3 opponents?
Personally would rather as I said before try somebody who had shown goalscoring ability (albeit at a lower or reserve/youth level) or even as Peterborough, Stevenage and Luton have done and sign a "hot prospect" from non league?

I know what you are saying Mick but you can never really tell.

Dean Howell had about 15 clubs before he came to Crawley, never staying anywhere for too long. Turned out one of the best signings Evans made.

I guess what Thad (I think) was saying the other day is probably true - of the players we sign a third will be good, a third average and a third poor.
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
mickf wrote:

Dean Howell had about 15 clubs before he came to Crawley, never staying anywhere for too long. Turned out one of the best signings Evans made.

I guess what Thad (I think) was saying the other day is probably true - of the players we sign a third will be good, a third average and a third poor.

Not sure we can afford a third of a very small squad being poor can we? Shocked
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
Simon wrote:
mickf wrote:

With the budget we have I think it is inevitable. Nearly everyone we have signed has come from a lower level or is a gamble on future potential.
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
mickf wrote:
Simon wrote:
mickf wrote:

With the budget we have I think it is inevitable. Nearly everyone we have signed has come from a lower level or is a gamble on future potential.

I appreciate we cannot always get the "finished article" the point more was that rather than gamble on potential with this signing we have gone for someone who has largely proven they havent been up to it when it comes down to the daily grind (as against shining in training or a low key friendly) and I would rather gamble on potential? But also I hope he does do well, and reward JG's faith in him.
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managers live and die by the sword and John Gregory will be no different .If it goes badly for him we're no doubt see his head leaving the Broadfield stadium in a basket.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
Managers live and die by the sword and John Gregory will be no different .If it goes badly for him we're no doubt see his head leaving the Broadfield stadium in a basket.

Absolutely - but football is littered with people who did well at one club and failed to deliver at another and equally players who have been discarded who go on to prove everyone wrong...

...I can remember when we signed Martin Hayes, I thought with his CV we would do really well, in the event he was pants... whereas Stevenage reject Charlie MacDonald will always be one of my favourites....

The only thing that is guaranteed is that ten games in we will all be a lot wiser..!
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:

Didn't we already try that, and he didn't want to come to us? And no, I can't remember his name now Embarassed
I hope Lewis doesn't dive as much as his brother.
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:
mickf wrote:

Didn't we already try that, and he didn't want to come to us? And no, I can't remember his name now Embarassed
I hope Lewis doesn't dive as much as his brother.

"More than one fish in the sea" as the saying goes?
jules59
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:

Yes and with a new revamped team,the hope is it will all gel from the start.
It is a JG team,so many new players,I can't wait.This is a real test of JG,hope he passes.
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

Topics: 59

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the blue wires.

Lewis is a midfielder, he will not have a record of scoring goals because if he was a midfielder with a record of scoring goals he wouldn't be at Crawley.

Who has said that one of the other trialists with a record of scoring goals is not going to sign. Who has said they will.

With have four players who can play wide, four full backs, three central defenders and three forwards (plus Isaacs and Richefonde). Personally I would like to see a young forward, a keeper, a defensive midfielder and a centre back sign up. Personally I would Like to win the lottery. It may happen.

Jim Baker
Graeme
Coach
Coach

Topics: 68

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules59 wrote:
lee 66 wrote:

Yes and with a new revamped team,the hope is it will all gel from the start.
It is a JG team,so many new players,I can't wait.This is a real test of JG,hope he passes.

I cant see it gelling immediately, I think we will need a little patience. Remember Wolves were not great in August but slowly got better. Bournemouth were an absolute disaster until Howe returned then again just got better and better.
You dont get promotion or relegation in August/September.
GillsMan
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, we have a tough start to the league. Let's try not to get too negative too early on.
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 208

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil B wrote:

It is difficult to compare - until the season starts. Then see how the players do .

At least allow them a chance before you write them all off ..... Confused

One of the few posts I agree with. I don't agree with all the signings so far, but knowing how players can adapt to different teams around them, until they play a few games we can't tell exactly how they will perform.

We all know that some will be pants, some grafters but average ability and some the next messiah. Until they have a chance to prove themselves, lets give them all a pat on the back for coming here in the first place. After all, its hardly a fashionable club with a distinguished football league history.
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Baker wrote:
All the blue wires.

Lewis is a midfielder, he will not have a record of scoring goals because if he was a midfielder with a record of scoring goals he wouldn't be at Crawley.

Who has said that one of the other trialists with a record of scoring goals is not going to sign. Who has said they will.

With have four players who can play wide, four full backs, three central defenders and three forwards (plus Isaacs and Richefonde). Personally I would like to see a young forward, a keeper, a defensive midfielder and a centre back sign up. Personally I would Like to win the lottery. It may happen.

Jim Baker

People always take the extreme position! I said about his goalscoring record, not that he hadnt scored many, but that he hadnt scored ANY!! Shocked
Somebody else commented that we are hardly a fashionable club, even so the latest hot thing from non league might still be tempted by League 1 football, rather than (possibly) as Young seeing it as the last chance saloon? He may do well he may not, but still allowed to comment on it surely? Confused
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: