CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Dannie Bulman Joins AFCW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex BH
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 54

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadler- Solid and reliable if unspectacular. Been replaced already.

Clarke- Sometimes good, largely ineffective. No big loss.

Connolly- Promising. Shame he's left.

Torres- Out of his depth.

Proctor- Couldn't hit a barn door.

Gary Dicker- Slow and sluggish.

Fallon- About as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Then there's the players I've mentioned that have either made sideways moves or gone down a level.

Also we kept a great centreback partnership and our most creative midfielder.

Got rid of non goalscoring forwards.

Let's not pretend last seasons squad was any better than it was. The players can and will be replaced and who knows, maybe the new guys will be better. At this stage I'm optimistic.

The players we have at the moment are shaping up ok.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite players, but don't blame him for moving.

He's only looking after his future.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:
Simon wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:
We are playing at a different level now and you can't just throw 20 players together 6 weeks before the season starts and expect them to be a team. Certainly not if you a shopping in our isle of the supermarket at any rate.

But we are not "throwing 20 people together 6 weeks before the season starts."

We already have 9 players under contract plus the 2 youngsters and there is 2 months before the season starts. 6 or 7 more signings and we are there.

It's not the end of the world. Bully was a great player for us but at 35 his days at L1 were limited and if AFC have given him 2 years that's great. Proctor was a non scoring forward, a L1 version of John Akinde. Paul Jones was a good shot stopper but can be replaced. Ditto M Jones a good versatile utility player but also can be replaced.

I don't see why people are panicking.

Its not just those guys though. We've also lost Sadler, Clarke, Mark Connolly, Torres, and a bunch of others. We maxed out on loan players just to have enough to fill the bench. Virtually the entire squad was dispensed with, and our squad had fantastic team spirit. That's gone now.
We obviously aren't paying very high wages, so doubtful we can actually get the players JG would like. The signings so far have been ok. We have 9 first teamers currently? So that's another 9 to come in to get a L1 squad. We can't survive with just 16 players, 18 is still a small squad. I imagine we will get the maximum 5 loan players in, as their wages will be part paid by their parent clubs, which will help.
Getting the players to gel as a team, and finding team spirit similar to what we've had before is vital. I'm not panicking, but JG has a helluva task ahead of him.

I would expect us to have the current 9 plus another 7 = 16 plus the two youngsters as bench cover = 18. Plus loan signings brought in as needed.

Sometimes the best team spirit is when backs are to the wall as they were in the Hollins era.

Orient had a very small budget last season and still did pretty well.
John The Gas
Coach
Coach

Topics: 85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we now retire the number 15 shirt?

JTG
lochislair
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 129

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2oo2Red wrote:
Gutted by this. AFC Wimbledon have got a great league 1 player, shame we couldn't keep him. The offer we put on the table must have been really, really poor.

I can see Sergio going that way, if he doesn't end up at Oxford.

We offered, at least as far as I heard, to renew at about half his salary. Nobody can afford a 50% pay cut at our level.
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to sign two more defenders , three midfielders and three strikers signed on for the year, plus a couple of loan signings as a minimum.

Defenders we have a back four if everyone stays ...plus Conor .i agree he has done ok for us but I don't think he played one game under Gregory last year which suggest he doesn't rate him to me. Either way we need a couple who can cover. Ironically Mark Connolly would have been perfect as he can play right back and centre back.

Midfielders we have three at the moment and have lost Jones, Bulman, Torres, Adams plus various wide men we had on loan . I think we need at least three to cover that lot.

Strikers - none

Oh and a goal keeper !
Astral Voyager
Coach
Coach

Topics: 111

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet Sunderland fans are gutted Jack Colback has joined Newcastle!!
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
TownMeadLeftover wrote:
Maybe it's not just about money, perhaps he was offered a longer term contract at Wimbledon which is a big factor for an older player like Bulman

thumbleft

But isnt two years with those sanctimonious tossers twice as bad as one year? Confused
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I am concerned - but ultimately the changes may work out OK. My concern is that an L2 club could offer Bulman a better deal than us; it doesn't matter to me that it's AFC Wimbledon.
I'm reaching the point where I'm thinking that our best weapons are John Gregory's charisma and motivational skills. They are good assets when persuading a young, hungry player to sign for us - and when talking a veteran into a swansong. I know it was at a higher level but I wonder how many of Brian Clough's original Forest or Derby squads were rated as individuals when he first acquired them. OK, I realise that JG is no Brian Clough (who is?) - but he doesn't need to be as we are further down the pyramid. The right blend and the right coaching can make a team far better than the sum of its parts.

But I am concerned.
Simon
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know they offered a better deal Paul.

Maybe it was the length of contract that was important at his age.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:

By "better deal", I was including the possibility of contract length. "Better deal" didn't necessarily mean a higher weekly wage. Perhaps I should have clarified.
Simon
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
Simon wrote:

By "better deal", I was including the possibility of contract length. "Better deal" didn't necessarily mean a higher weekly wage. Perhaps I should have clarified.

In that case I'm not sure it is such a surprise. He will be 36 in January and I would have been doubly surprised if we offered him more than a year extension as a L1 player.

I'm slightly disappointed we didn't do something on a player/coach basis, however I don't know if he has any coaching experience and maybe JG has his own plans for the coaching staff.
GillsMan
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:
Crap really . Looks like we won't even be shopping in bargain basement , it will be e bargain basement sales we are waiting for. The chaff of the chaff.

The chaff of the chaff which includes one player who made the L2 team of the season last season and a 27 year old who's played over 100 games in League One??
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 208

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex BH wrote:
Of the players that have left... Paul Jones has gone down a level to Portsmouth, Mike Jones has made a sideways move to Oldham and Bulman has gone down a level to Portsmouth.

Slack Alex Wink
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lochislair wrote:
2oo2Red wrote:
Gutted by this. AFC Wimbledon have got a great league 1 player, shame we couldn't keep him. The offer we put on the table must have been really, really poor.

I can see Sergio going that way, if he doesn't end up at Oxford.

We offered, at least as far as I heard, to renew at about half his salary. Nobody can afford a 50% pay cut at our level.

That depends on what he was on before and how much he was being offered by others!? If the Kingston offer was similar to ours how much of it was down to DB thinking we were trying to push him out anyway and so sod it he would go then! But to bloody Kingston!!!!, are the ones who pleaded with the ref to send him off in our Conf. winning season still there?
I saw on an earlier post mention of AFC Kingston being prudent with their cash, but reading an article on them it seems Ardley has been trying to convince Akinfenwa and Tubbs to joins and form a potent forward partnership. That and financial prudence dont seem to fit together for a smallish League 2 club? Confused

Last edited by mickf on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: