CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

League restructure
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: League restructure Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27289819

Not sure what to make of this...
Mr Middle
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: League restructure Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:

Like all things with change people will be opposed to it. I can see good and bad points on this.

You have to look at the rest of Europe, it works there so why not use it here.

A league 2 north/south could work as then no club would lose there league status as im sure not all clubs would use this and then its upto the league and premier league as to where the B teams can rise to. i think Barca B and Real Mardid B can only get to the league below La liga, not sure if they finish top that the team in 2nd go up! if they finish bottom then like any club there not good enough and go down!

If it means its helps the young talent at top clubs play regular football and not just loaned to sit on benches. The only knock on effect is it wouldn't help clubs like us who relies on these loan signing!

Tricky on!!
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the FA thinking ahead a bit.

I could only see this working if it was used to blood young British players. Not if it ends up being packed with average foreigners.

It does make sense to regionalise lower level football as well. The makeup of L1 next season shows how challenging it is for teams like Crawley with our support to compete in a national league.
Alex BH
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 54

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

Topics: 59

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could accept this but only if there was no movement between the two teams within a season (b team one week full of kids, next week full of star players) and there was full and proper promotion. Yes, I'm aware that means a b team could end up in a higher league and/or a and b team's playing each other.

Scenario: A b team cannot get promoted how hard are they going to try in a game? Straight away you have the same issue as now. They are not in a competitive league.

Oh, I believe the football pyramid has decided that the proper place for "reformed" clubs to join the league is step 9 (as for Aldershot, Halifax and Wimbledon). I can see no reason to change this.

Too many issues for it to ever work properly but dangle some extra TV money and it will be accepted.

Jim Baker
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt that there are many pros and cons to this idea that would probably not become apparent until after the knee jerk reaction phase.
One that springs to mind is that the loan market from above could practically dry up if the would-be loan players are otherwise engaged with their parent clubs' B teams. Many lower league clubs (not just Crawley) already have a fairly unhealthy dependency on loan deals in order to survive and maintain their status. So this would mean splashing cash that clubs don't have. So, if they want to play in *our* leagues, they can pay us for the privilege - and not pennies either. Won't happen of course but there's my opening gambit. 48 clubs in L1/L2. 200k each per season. That's about 10 million - so about 500k from each top league club. That's barely their toilet paper bill for a season. OK. Double it then.
AllRed63
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex BH wrote:
NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and furthermore NO!!!!!! A sickening prospect!! Bring back the Football Combination by all means and even the Seanglian League (ho, ho) but tell the Premier League to f... right off!!! And while they're about it, oh, what's the point.........!!!
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllRed63 wrote:
and even the Seanglian League (ho, ho)

Blimey you are going back a long time there.....

Admin edit: Quoting corrected
AllRed63
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
AllRed63 wrote:
and even the Seanglian League (ho, ho)

Blimey you are going back a long time there.....

Yes - when even Crawley Town had a reserve team!!
guildford roader
First Team
First Team

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B League - what a dreadful idea. How's that going to help the national team unless they want youngsters to learn the art of hoof. I hate rugby union cause it's all geared to the national team. Football should take pride in its club/grassroots/community strength and it's national team being quite rightly crap.
Alex BH
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 54

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine Crawley having to play a Chelsea B team stuffed with average, overpaid, foreigners in an empty stadium. They won't have much to play for as they can't get promoted and are only playing for a PL B team not representing a town or city so the team have no fans or no history.

And how would that benefit the England team? It wouldn't. And they won't introduce quota's for the number of English players in B teams because that would probably be illegal like it is in the PL.

The English FL is the best FL system in the world. The attendances and much better than other European lower leagues. It is an asset to English football so to devalue it like this would be an absolute travesty and so shortly after 125 years of the FL is such terrible timing.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: League restructure Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:

Ruin the pyramid, ruin the English game. What happens when Manchester City's B team win League Two? Do they get promoted? What happens when they win the Championship?

It's a no from me.
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is less about improving the England team than improving the situation for the PL teams.
Will make them even more dominant across the country as kids are fed an even greater diet of Chelsea (or Tottenham or Arsenal, Palarse, Man Utd etc) and their U21 teams. Also I am sure it will get the blanket coverage from Sky during midweek and make it even more challenging for the lower league clubs to attract fans to matches.
Thats a no from me then, as if what any of the fans of lower league think will even get a passing thought from the money men and Sky TV.
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: League restructure Reply with quote

Mr Middle wrote:
NorthgateRed wrote:

Like all things with change people will be opposed to it. I can see good and bad points on this.

You have to look at the rest of Europe, it works there so why not use it here.

A league 2 north/south could work as then no club would lose there league status as im sure not all clubs would use this and then its upto the league and premier league as to where the B teams can rise to. i think Barca B and Real Mardid B can only get to the league below La liga, not sure if they finish top that the team in 2nd go up! if they finish bottom then like any club there not good enough and go down!

If it means its helps the young talent at top clubs play regular football and not just loaned to sit on benches. The only knock on effect is it wouldn't help clubs like us who relies on these loan signing!

Tricky on!!

It works in Europe? It might work for the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich but does it work for the smaller clubs lower down their pyramid trying to survive (and keep their own identity) against a tide of media/TV coverage of everything Real Madrid etc
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be far better if premier league teams twinned with league one and championship teams did the same with league two.

As in RL you could have a dual reg system for British players whereby up to 4 could be included in the match day squad of 17. It works both ways the big clubs players get games and lower league reduce expenditure as it dosent cost them wages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: