CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Football, Passion - and a bit of perspective.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
backofthenet
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 421

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Football, Passion - and a bit of perspective. Reply with quote

From another forum, the views of a Rotherham fan after their play-off win over Preston -

Quote:

After this win tonight and thinking of appearing at Wembley, I can't help but think particularly about my mum and Dad.

Mum was a mad keen Miller from childhood, smitten by the best ever Millers team of the immediate post-war years, she was even a passenger on the legendary GET 7, which was the registration of the bus the team used to travel to Darlington where they did, indeed, get 7.

Dad was a movie fan, none too fussed about footie, but in order to keep the girl of his dreams he had to get interested, fast. One the day of their wedding, in 1951,Rotherham were due to play at home against Brentford. Mum's ultimatum was to go to the match, or the wedding was off. It was a 1-1 draw, so was the game and they stayed married for over 60 years.

Due, no doubt, to the team that the Millers possessed at that time (not entirely unlike the current period) dad became as committed a Miller as anyone else and they both took me along when I was three years old in 1968.

Mum and dad both passed away within 10 days of each other just a few short weeks before New York Stadium opened. Mum from long standing ill health, dad because his heart was broken. When the pipe band played Amazing Grace at that first match I cried my eyes out.

Their ashes are scattered in the grounds of Boston Castle, on the hill overlooking the family stand and I'm sure they've been there for the last two seasons, cheering and willing on the Millers and I hope they are loving this progress our club is making from its own near death a few short years ago.

If you've stayed with my indulgence this far, thank you. Night night, mam and dad.

We all have different reasons for our passion for and perspective on the club we support.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: