CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Brighton and Birmingham
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Brighton and Birmingham Reply with quote

Fair play to the supporters of Brighton and Birmingham, their celebrations at their injury time goals gave me genuine goose bumps and showed what football is really all about.

Mrs BICH: "I really don't understand it, I really don't."

As I tried to highlight, if you have to have it explained to you then you'll never understand.

She then wanted to watch Masterchef.
JB
First Team
First Team

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair though, she's probably had 20-odd years of you explaining how it's all about a team from 220 miles away from your lounge Wink
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Derby!
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
Come on Derby!

Nah, I'd love Brighton to be in the Premier League. Something different.

I don't feel any rivalry with our Sussex brothers and sisters at all.
David R
First Team
First Team

Topics: 33

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be forging a relationship with BHA in my opinion, to see them as rivals make us look stupid.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Brighton and Birmingham Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:

As I tried to highlight, if you have to have it explained to you then you'll never understand.

A classic comment on World Cup football from my ex... BangHead

"I like penalty shoot outs... they are really exciting... why don't they just go straight to them and cut out the other 120 minutes..?"
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 208

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighton and Birmingham Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:

A classic comment on World Cup football from my ex... BangHead

"I like penalty shoot outs... they are really exciting... why don't they just go straight to them and cut out the other 120 minutes..?"

After seeing some matches, I sometimes wonder whether you ex may have a point.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighton and Birmingham Reply with quote

notso wrote:
After seeing some matches, I sometimes wonder whether you ex may have a point.

It was the truly dreadful 1990 World Cup where she definitely had a point...
...although Pearce & Waddle might beg to differ.

The last tournament was pretty uninspiring too.... I'm hoping the Brazillian environment will encourage a bit more flow and less of an attritional style this time around.
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David R wrote:
We should be forging a relationship with BHA in my opinion, to see them as rivals make us look stupid.

Why not extend that relationship to all the London clubs who we are competing with for young fans then (not to mention media space, sponsorships etc etc). It is difficult enough as it is without "getting into bed with them".
I dont see them as on the field rivals, but they will always be rivals for the affections of impressionable young kids who are swayed by the "glamour" of football on TV etc. And they are 20+ miles away so what affiliation should I feel for them?
So come on Derby!
RedDevil1979
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 18

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Derby beating them in the play offs isn't going to change the fact that Brighton will probably appeal more to the casual fan, in terms of stadium, glamour and atmosphere. They are knocking on the premier league door, and it won't be long before they get there.

I really don't see the issue. When Brighton are at home, Crawley are away. As it's only the same faces who travel with Crawley, so what if some people head down there to get their football fix when we are playing 200 miles away. I know plenty of Albion fans who now come up to support Crawley when they are away.

I love to see both Sussex teams doing well, so I hope Brighton smash Derby tonight!
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedDevil1979 wrote:
But Derby beating them in the play offs isn't going to change the fact that Brighton will probably appeal more to the casual fan, in terms of stadium, glamour and atmosphere. They are knocking on the premier league door, and it won't be long before they get there.

I really don't see the issue. When Brighton are at home, Crawley are away. As it's only the same faces who travel with Crawley, so what if some people head down there to get their football fix when we are playing 200 miles away. I know plenty of Albion fans who now come up to support Crawley when they are away.

I love to see both Sussex teams doing well, so I hope Brighton smash Derby tonight!

The issue is Brighton are probably seen as a more glamorous club by casual fans, who are potential Crawley STHs. Whether they go up or not, they could be a bigger draw than us for local (Sussex) fans looking for a club to support on a regular basis. More expensive yes, but better quality football too, with much bigger clubs than you find in L1. So a lot of people considering getting a season ticket for next season will probably choose Brighton over us, especially if they get promoted. That will hit CTFC where it hurts most - financially.
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedDevil1979 wrote:

Brighton in the Premier League will add to the appeal of those who are easily swayed by TV/Media coverage (often younger kids), and so beating Derby gets them closer, so obviously it will make a difference. Never seen this thing about "having" to support them just because they are in (East) Sussex!? Like saying Everton fans should also support their near neighbours.
The Premier League/Champions league and TV mass coverage is doing us and other smaller clubs enough damage as it is without us encouraging it!
Ross
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 157

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brighton going into the Premier League will hurt Crawley's income for next year no doubt about it.
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross wrote:
Brighton going into the Premier League will hurt Crawley's income for next year no doubt about it.

With them having an almost (or fully?) taken up ST allocation the through the gate bit is maybe less of an issue but like with the London clubs and on TV the big northern clubs as well, it is all a battle to keep people interested in getting cold and sometimes less excited (maybe) watching their local team live (and buying our replica kit rather than one of the "big clubs"), and Brighton joining that mix can only be bad for us.
guildford roader
First Team
First Team

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would not be cheap following brighton in the premier but we need to provide a fresh, match day alternative. Hopefully JG's new intake will help start that impetus - personally thought entertainment value was generally stale last year. There needs to be a much bigger push in the local area - on the Horsham side of Crawley you'd hardly know there is a third tier club on the doorstep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: