CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Retained list 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
I know Mark gave 100% all the time but his distribution was generally of the hoof variety.

As is Fadz's................

Wink
lurker
Youth team
Youth team

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
Simon wrote:
I know Mark gave 100% all the time but his distribution was generally of the hoof variety.

As is Fadz's................

Wink

Fadz can't consistently pass a ball 5 metres away, let alone distribute it long distances.
Crawley Ben
Coach
Coach

Topics: 176

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
Crawley Ben wrote:
ant wrote:
Not surprised by the length of the retained list. The only one I'm really shocked about is MArk Connolly who I thought had done enough to earn himself a new deal.

If it was a choice of Jones or Clarke then Jones just edges it for me - he doesn't pick up the same number of injuries and silly bookings as Clarke.

Will be gutted if Dannie doesn't sign - JG, make him player coach now. Failing that - captain.

Proctor is worth a punt.

Paul Jones in goal - With JG releasing both keepers I'm pretty confident he has something lined up. Espeically with Paul Barron being full of tricks there

Ant - in respect of Mark Connolly I *guess* that maybe he wasn't prepared to take the drop in pay that has been talked about (50% if that's true?). I could well be wrong of course, but I can't see why else JG would have released him IMO.

Ben

Not sure Ben. If that was the case wouldn't the club try to pacify fans by at least saying he was offered and turned it down.

I wonder if JG has looked at it and thought we have cover at CB, and could probably find a better footballing right back (Dumbuya style - maybe what we thought we had got when Hurst signed). In other words he has paid the price for being versatile.

That's a fair point you raise there Simon, no doubt JG will have someone in mind. As long as he is better than Hurst was I don't really mind who he gets in at RB.

Ben
Earl60
Youth team
Youth team

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadfield Dave wrote:
guildford roader wrote:
The main thing is we have Fadz, Walsh and Drury on the books.

I was actually rather disappointed to see that Drury is still under contract. Considering he is presumably one of our highest earners, I think he's been quite poor this season.

Who knows what's going to happen in the summer? Your disappointment may not last
Graeme
Coach
Coach

Topics: 68

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most I am totally baffled by this list.
On the surface it looks like JG only wanted the four and thought the others just were not good enough. I would agree all have their faults but I am amazed we didnt even make an offer to keep Billy Clark and Paul Jones.
All I can suppose is that he think they can be replaced by better players for roughly the same cost. I suppose we have to trust JG's judgement (I hope he is right Confused )
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme wrote:
As most I am totally baffled by this list.
On the surface it looks like JG only wanted the four and thought the others just were not good enough. I would agree all have their faults but I am amazed we didnt even make an offer to keep Billy Clark and Paul Jones.
All I can suppose is that he think they can be replaced by better players for roughly the same cost. I suppose we have to trust JG's judgement (I hope he is right Confused )

Not sure about P Jones but I think the situation with B Clarke was that we had a one year option on extending his contract. I suppose it's fair to assume that if the club have that bit of power over whether he stays or goes, if they want to keep him they can't reduce his pay for that year; he was signed in the Evans "flash the cash" era. My guess is that it's not about getting a better player for the same money but more about a player of equal or lower ability for less money.
Players everywhere, except perhaps for the very top, will have their wages examined as the FPP regs tighten further. A bit like most industries really. The big boss says "Work for less money and/or accept lower staffing levels or the whole company goes bust and everyone loses." Football isn't immune.
bandy1954
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 66

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have a bl00dy death wish or what? We are turfing out even the likes of Paul Jones!

I often hear player being criticised for having no loyalty to a club but it goes the other way too. He played every single match for this club and he gets chucked out as a thank you. *beep*!
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
Not sure about P Jones but I think the situation with B Clarke was that we had a one year option on extending his contract. I suppose it's fair to assume that if the club have that bit of power over whether he stays or goes, if they want to keep him they can't reduce his pay for that year; he was signed in the Evans "flash the cash" era. My guess is that it's not about getting a better player for the same money but more about a player of equal or lower ability for less money.

Interesting point there Paul, we were talking about it on Saturday. We were half expecting the club to exercise the option (even if a higher salary) and then sell him. Then again I suppose we don't always know the full story though, maybe the Sheffield U interest was just paper talk and we never had any offers so didn't want to take the risk?

I can't remember what we paid for him, however wasn't it at that time where we sold Tubbs and Barnett and we had our hands tied a bit.
AllRed63
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandy1954 wrote:
Do we have a bl00dy death wish or what? We are turfing out even the likes of Paul Jones!

I often hear player being criticised for having no loyalty to a club but it goes the other way too. He played every single match for this club and he gets chucked out as a thank you. *beep*!

Quite agree matey! I think Paul suffered from playing too many matches - obviously not physically - but to me mental tiredness contributed to some of his mistakes. He needed a break to sharpen up.
Wodin
First Team
First Team

Topics: 53

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said earlier...billy and jones top earners....therefore sentiment doesn't come into it
matcowdrey
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average wage in L1 is around the 125k mark. I can't see how we could possibly justify wages any more than 80% of that in our current circumstances.

Maybe some of the players just timed their moves right and made hay while the sun shone (and I have no issue with that whatsoever) but the club has to be very, very sure than a player is worth the investment if they want to pay them more.

We know that we've got at least one player on the books at around the 200k mark. He's only sustainable because we're likely to get a return on that investment.

I realise that there is a difference between a player turning down an offer and not even having one put on the table, but they must have had some preliminary discussions with the players to get an idea of expectation. If they were that far apart then I'm not surprised that no offer was made.

Some players may well have irons in the fire. Some will simply have an inflated opinion of their worth. Some will be undervalued.

What is for sure is that there is a very long list of out of contract players at the moment running in to the hundreds. I'm sure there are some there that would be very pleased of a job paying 100k a year, even if it is at Crawley. Wink
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.crawleyobserver.co......-1-6040969

Quote:
Striker Jamie Proctor says hes yet to decide if hell stay on at Crawley Town next season.

Speaking to the Crawley Observer today (Tuesday May 6), Proctor said: Ive not made any decision yet, the season has obviously only just finished and the offer has only just come in.

Weve got a fair amount of time to decide so Ill be considering it, I want to make the right decision, speak to the club and go from there.

Im pleased to be one of those offered a deal, Im one of the lucky ones with a choice to make.
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose we should be grateful our best three players Drury ,Mcfaz and Walsh are under contract as is the captain. Whether anyone at Crawley is on 200k is doubtful I would have thought that will be 15 - 20percent of our entire playing budget.

You never know if Sadler ,Proctor and Bulman sign up we will have seven of our first choice 11 retained

Still think one of the big three will be sold which is why it's a shame we didn't retain Mark Connolly.
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:
Whether anyone at Crawley is on 200k is doubtful I would have thought that will be 15 - 20percent of our entire playing budget.

200K is about 4k a week.

SOme of the released players were on more than that. One of the ones under contract for next season is on double that.

Tubbs at Bournemouth was on more than that - that's why he left for them

Startling that I know. But those are the crazy figures we agreed to pay.

Gary Alexander was on a similarly mind boggling amount
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's a bit staggering and suggests how far we have to reduce wages.

I doubt our total income is 2m GNP which suggests a wage cap of 1.2m. A fist team squad of 18 excluding the two youngster already siigned would average out at 66k per player.

Some will get more some maybe less but not sure we can carry 200k a year!

Last edited by Crawley69 on Tue May 06, 2014 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: