CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

John Gregory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rh20devil
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on ssn now Gregory in advanced talks
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought on this guy. If he's been out of the country for a long while, wouldn't that mean he hgas little in the way of contacts? A good reason to hang on to Coppell I think.
Some on here seem to regard Coppell as some feet up on the table "do nothing". I very much doubt that myself. Many years ago I remember reading that he was one of those players who believed in education - and he is quite well educated. Unlike vmany, he probably doesn't even need football.
guildford roader
First Team
First Team

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interesting to know if there is a good relationship between Coppell and Gregory. It would make an extremely experienced management team if the two were prepared to combine. They will certainly know each other - Coppell (man utd) and Gregory (Aston villa) competed as players 35 years ago!!
Sulton111
First Team
First Team

Topics: 30

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great signing JG is a great manager he knows english football extremely well and is very well connected through the likes of dunford, Coppell and deadly doug ellis

The only reservation i have is his man management skill which he lacked at Villa, yes i WAS the only villa fan in crawley before i saw the light, he will not be afraid to drop players that are under performing though even the likes of adams.

He will also bring a great work ethic and a top fitness regime which seems to havr been lacking with some of our player

John Gregorys red army
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulton111 wrote:
A great signing JG is a great manager he knows english football extremely well and is very well connected through the likes of dunford, Coppell and deadly doug ellis

The only reservation i have is his man management skill which he lacked at Villa, yes i WAS the only villa fan in crawley before i saw the light, he will not be afraid to drop players that are under performing though even the likes of adams.

He will also bring a great work ethic and a top fitness regime which seems to havr been lacking with some of our player

John Gregorys red army

Wasnt Michael Dunford still at Everton when Gregory was at Derby?
I can understand a Villa fan liking this appointment as he seemed to do well there but his record after that is pretty sketchy. As long as he isnt after an easy ride because it can be just as tough down in the "real football" world (ask Aidy Boothroyd at Northampton?)
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
As long as he isnt after an easy ride because it can be just as tough down in the "real football" world (ask Aidy Boothroyd at Northampton?)

I can't see Crawley fans giving him an easy ride, can you? Wink
Not sure he will have extensive contacts in the game here after being out of the country for so long. he won't know L1 at all. Not sure about this appointment at all, if it happens. We can do better.
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:
mickf wrote:
As long as he isnt after an easy ride because it can be just as tough down in the "real football" world (ask Aidy Boothroyd at Northampton?)

Not sure he will have extensive contacts in the game here after being out of the country for so long. he won't know L1 at all. Not sure about this appointment at all, if it happens. We can do better.

Wouldn't be my first choice. I always got the impression that he rated his own abilities much higher than anyone else. I also can't imagine he would come cheap.
Mr.T.
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure he will have extensive contacts in the game here after being out of the country for so long. he won't know L1 at all. Not sure about this appointment at all, if it happens. We can do better.[/quote
Agreed.
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthgateRed wrote:
mickf wrote:

Do we ever? Very Happy
But it isnt just us fans, then again I guess managing in Kazakstan isnt all "champagne and cigars"? If he does come then good luck to him and I wish him well, but we may come to look back fondly on RB and his downbeat "I dont really want to be here and only came because I could be nearer home" attitude?
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
NorthgateRed wrote:
mickf wrote:

Do we ever? Very Happy
But it isnt just us fans, then again I guess managing in Kazakstan isnt all "champagne and cigars"? If he does come then good luck to him and I wish him well, but we may come to look back fondly on RB and his downbeat "I dont really want to be here and only came because I could be nearer home" attitude?

I'm sure Crawley is a damn sight nearer home for JG than Kazakhstan!!
get in your box
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His managerial stats

PLAYED 511
WON 173
DREW 138
LOST 200

WIN RATE 33.83%
lochislair
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 129

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulton111 wrote:

He hasn't been in English football for a number of years and wasn't particularly good when he was. And he has hardly set the world alight since either.

Much rather we appointed someone up and coming than someone who has tried repeatedly but never actually got it right. But hey, what do I know?
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lochislair wrote:
Sulton111 wrote:

He hasn't been in English football for a number of years and wasn't particularly good when he was. And he has hardly set the world alight since either.

Much rather we appointed someone up and coming than someone who has tried repeatedly but never actually got it right. But hey, what do I know?

Agree about appointing somebody up and coming, but then the board/owners have tried that and didnt seem to like it!? Also he didnt do a bad job lasting several years at Villa with Doug Ellis (admittedly some time ago).
Maybe it is all tied in with some new investment?
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get in your box wrote:
His managerial stats

PLAYED 511
WON 173
DREW 138
LOST 200

WIN RATE 33.83%

For easy numbers, a 34% win rate and a 27% draw rate.
Over a 46 game season, that would translate to roughly 59 points. Good enough to stay up but not much else. That would probably do for now.
At the moment, 22 points from 19 games would yield about 53 points if continued. Probably still enough but a bit squeaky bummish.
As the investment companies say "Past performance is no guarantee....................."
Ross
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 157

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Sky Sources it's deal done and will be in charge saturday.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: