CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Mike Jones
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Mike Jones Reply with quote

I know he is not the most popular player around... but I get the impression that Mike Jones is really a central midfield player and not a natural wide one...
Shocked

Admin edit: Discussion split from "Akpan going" thread
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
I know he is not the most popular player around... but I get the impression that Mike Jones is really a central midfield player and not a natural wide one...
Shocked

So is Sergio but it didnt stop Barker playing him wide left in his last appearance and he looked lost! Evil or Very Mad
Also I thought Jones was a wide player who was going to excite us with his play?
oakie
First Team
First Team

Topics: 55

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Shocked

fishing
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
Also I thought Jones was a wide player who was going to excite us with his play?

He isn't.. and he doesn't... but his best moments have been spotting an opening and slipping the ball through... which to me suggests he should be in the centre.

ps. It is a genuine opinion Oakie, Albeit trying to second-guess RB.
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
mickf wrote:

He isn't.. and he doesn't... but his best moments have been spotting an opening and slipping the ball through... which to me suggests he should be in the centre.

His best moment was his very first pass to set up a goal when he came on as sub in his first appearance and looked quite exciting. Still waiting for the next moment!
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
thad wrote:
mickf wrote:

His best moment was his very first pass to set up a goal when he came on as sub in his first appearance and looked quite exciting. Still waiting for the next moment!

As I recall... from a central position... Very Happy
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
mickf wrote:
thad wrote:
mickf wrote:

As I recall... from a central position... Very Happy

Not exactly I seem to remember wide left (near us in GFS actually) cutting inside and knocking it through, so maybe a bit of both! Confused
Mind it shows how few moments there have been when we can dissect his one and only (or did he lay on another goal in a home game?)
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick - In common with a lot of Crawley fans, I think there are others who have a stronger case... but I just felt that he had been overlooked as a possible option in the the talk of Akpan leaving... as RB seems to think highly of him.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking a bit weak in the first few starts (fitness?) I think he is looking the part these days.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
After looking a bit weak in the first few starts (fitness?) I think he is looking the part these days.

Agree, he really gets stuck in now, I think a lot of people are warming to him. I think he will now feature heavily.
seano
First Team
First Team

Topics: 27

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
Simon wrote:

Agree, he really gets stuck in now, I think a lot of people are warming to him. I think he will now feature heavily.

He featured heavily already, having said that I do agree and I've been pretty impressed with him for a month or so now
Broadfield Dave
First Team
First Team

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree. Everything about him cries out ‘central midfielder’, and yet he’s always deployed out wide. Doesn’t seem to matter as he often drifts in, but with Hope on his way hopefully we’ll see more of Jones in the centre where he could be a very useful little engine alongside Simpson and/or Bulman.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Big Spending' Dave wrote:
Completely agree. Everything about him cries out ‘central midfielder’, and yet he’s always deployed out wide. Doesn’t seem to matter as he often drifts in, but with Hope on his way hopefully we’ll see more of Jones in the centre where he could be a very useful little engine alongside Simpson and/or Bulman.

I think Jones is actually better on the ball than Akpan although Akpan is a better athlete. Maybe it'll be a different style if Jones moves inside. He certainly won't be suspended as much!
Cakeburner
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 692

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have previously alluded to Jones playing in a central role and i think it would suit him ....... i also concur that after a shaky start he seems to be one of the more consistent performers, although now he seems to be performing he seems to be taken off more, strange Confused

And given the jeers he's had from the crowd, he's obviously taken the criticism onboard and got on with it and appears to be winning over his doubters, obviously not every player has such a good reaction to criticism but in this case it's certainly helped ? Or perhaps he's just a bit more match-fit ? Wink
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact his play isn't suited to being out wide is one of the points I've been making to the Jones bashers (eh Dan) during the course of the season as a way of pointing out what he does actually do that they don't notice.

Last edited by Ian on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: