CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Shrewsbury Town matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trev
First Team
First Team

Topics: 51

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I along many around me thought the first half was the worst we have played for many a game. All game we kept lumping it forward and you could count on the fingers of one hand how many of these headers GA won. He looked over weight today and I suppose we play like we do because GA is just not fast enough to beat defenders to through balls. Sorry but I think everything is catching up with him like age, level of the league and fitness. I just can’t see him scoring from open play in the near future, RB should look to unload him over Christmas for a younger model.

Also not over impressed with the RB performance to get the team playing with the passion we used to see today it seemed most of the team just did not want to be there. Under Evans we had some below par first half’s but when they came out for the second half it was like watching a different team RB needs to find how to switch them on.

If we play like we did today against Reading it will be a cricket score.
Crawley Dan
Coach
Coach

Topics: 179

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander - shocking
Pitch - shocking
RB's lumpball tactics and substitutions - shocking
Taking Adams off for Jones.. laughable.
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley Dan wrote:

Adams has been our best player this season (closely followed by Akpan)

Today though they were both VERY poor.

Adams deserved to be subbed - it was just one of those days for him and we needed to change it.

Jones had one decent cross in his five minute cameo - that was one more than Adams had in the previous 85
Alex BH
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 54

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst Adams' set pieces and shooting were poor, he is always at the heart of our best attacking moves and always makes himself available. Our strikers today were anonymous and quite frankly without the midfield chipping in with goals and getting forward so often then we would be struggling big time.

Slowly the realisation is dawning on me that the play offs might be out of reach. Difficult to see where the next win will come from because today was one of those games I thought we would win. But as it turned out I was kind of relived we got a draw.

As others have said, the time has come to give Akinde a start, he can't be any worse than Ajose or Alexander.
2oo2Red
Coach
Coach

Topics: 62

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant wrote:
Crawley Dan wrote:

Adams has been our best player this season (closely followed by Akpan)

Today though they were both VERY poor.

Adams deserved to be subbed - it was just one of those days for him and we needed to change it.

Jones had one decent cross in his five minute cameo - that was one more than Adams had in the previous 85

Adams was the only one creating something. If you think a player could come on for 4 minutes and do a better job then you are an idiot who has only ever watched and never played the game at any level.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
What little wind there is must be blowing your way as I can hear nothing from the Broadfield.

I was there and couldn't hear nothing, apart from some jumped up jobsworth *beep* steward moaning at people who had half a little toe on the yellow bit of the terrace, even if they were on the back step. Rolling Eyes

He was eventually sent away by his boss. Don't think we'll see him again!

I thought that was more entertaining than much of the game Smile .

"We stand where we want,
We stand where we want,
We are Crawley,
We stand where we want"

I thought he was going to start handing out parking tickets.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
Why are some of our fans surprised by John Akinde playing well.
He has always shown good control and decent balance for a big man.
He also works hard and puts doubt in the opposition defenders.I bet if he was given a run of 16 league games his goal return would be far better then Alexanders.It is about time our manager woke up and smelt the coffee before we have a total *beep* disaster on our hands.

Regarding Segio Torres.Is it really fair to judge him as a player on this game.He certainly had a poor match today, but he has hardly had the opportunity to show what he is capable of.A fair run in the team would show if he is good enough for league one football.I remember him doing pretty well for us in the FA cup against league one and championship clubs.

Regarding our manager.
Not convinced.

IMO John Akinde only has one problem - his label. If he was called "advanced midfielder" rather than "striker", there wouldn't be a problem. Again, although he didn't look like scoring, he caused havoc when he came on and brought about our equaliser.

Although a lot has been made of us starting to struggle more "at this level", it should be remembered that Shrewsbury came up with us last season. Last season we played a better game than them twice (though we lost at theirs) so I'm not so sure that "at this level" really works for yesterday - especially looking at Shrewsbury's league position.
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
lee 66 wrote:
Why are some of our fans surprised by John Akinde playing well.
He has always shown good control and decent balance for a big man.
He also works hard and puts doubt in the opposition defenders.I bet if he was given a run of 16 league games his goal return would be far better then Alexanders.It is about time our manager woke up and smelt the coffee before we have a total *beep* disaster on our hands.

Regarding Segio Torres.Is it really fair to judge him as a player on this game.He certainly had a poor match today, but he has hardly had the opportunity to show what he is capable of.A fair run in the team would show if he is good enough for league one football.I remember him doing pretty well for us in the FA cup against league one and championship clubs.

Regarding our manager.
Not convinced.

IMO John Akinde only has one problem - his label. If he was called "advanced midfielder" rather than "striker", there wouldn't be a problem. Again, although he didn't look like scoring, he caused havoc when he came on and brought about our equaliser.

Although a lot has been made of us starting to struggle more "at this level", it should be remembered that Shrewsbury came up with us last season. Last season we played a better game than them twice (though we lost at theirs) so I'm not so sure that "at this level" really works for yesterday - especially looking at Shrewsbury's league position.

During the time Akinde was on the pitch he got himself into 3 good positions to score.It is important to note that the 3 chances were all in and around the 6 yard box.He was unlucky with all three,especially the stretching header where he was a whisper away from scoring.He also was unlucky when the ball fell to him just outside the 6 yard area,only their defenders pouncing desperately to smother the ball prevented a goal.
The other good chance came from a cross from the left,Akinde should maybe have tried to head the ball towards goal but instead chose to try and bring the ball under control,he was a bit unlucky the ball slipped past him and the chance was lost.

Point is, he gets himself into dangerous positions through his own hard work and desire to get a chance to score.It is just something we have failed to see Alexander do for to many games now.We can all see Alexander struggling to cope with being the main man up front,
just how many times does he get himself into the 6 yard area looking to cause danger and chaos,like Akinde did for the brief time he was on yesterday.So lets take the responsibility and pressure of him and give it to Akinde.We could try playing Akinde and Alexander up top with Billy Clarke sitting in the hole just behind them.It could give us a real chance of seeing the strikers score the goals we all want to see.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, Akinde looked interested. Got into the danger area, jumped, tackled. Reminded me of Accy away sat season when he was our best player.

I'm not sure he is a goal scorer but we need to try something different up front.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d_c_bryan wrote:
West Standers were calling for GA's head, especially after that weak attempt at tackling their defender in first half stoppage time. Our strikers are not League 1 standard so RB had better get some decent ones in next month.
I'm so resigned to innefective strikers, I couldn't even be botheted to get my FA Cuo tickets after the game.

I was really incensed by that, twice GA bottled it in 50/50 tackles when we needed to build some pressure. I can accept that sometimes the ball doesn't run for you, I can't accept players giving less than 100%.

When things aren't going your way you have to fight to turn the corner.
Ashdown Red
First Team
First Team

Topics: 31

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akinde causes chaos when he comes on. I would give him a run in the team alongside GA. Big John is stil young, only 23 years old. GA could be the one to improve his play.

Once again we battled well to draw the match. I thought that Shrewsbury were a better team than their league position showed. They had 3 players who i would like to see play for Crawley.

Josh was terrific, probably the best i have seen him play this year.

Did anyone notice the Referee? I thought he had a decent game.

We all need to get behind the team and the manager. Their is some difficult matches coming up.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
During the time Akinde was on the pitch he got himself into 3 good positions to score.It is important to note that the 3 chances were all in and around the 6 yard box.He was unlucky with all three,especially the stretching header where he was a whisper away from scoring.He also was unlucky when the ball fell to him just outside the 6 yard area,only their defenders pouncing desperately to smother the ball prevented a goal.
The other good chance came from a cross from the left,Akinde should maybe have tried to head the ball towards goal but instead chose to try and bring the ball under control,he was a bit unlucky the ball slipped past him and the chance was lost.

What about the chance he made for them? Would have been better if he'd been offside! Laughing
Tels
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had a front 2 that put in as much effort as Morgan and Rodgers did for them yesterday we would be far better off! They reminded me of Barnett and Tubbs worked hard and defended from the front. I did think they would struggle to last the game at that work rate and I don't think it was a coincidence that we scored after Rodgers was subbed. Too much arial attacking yesterday maybe due to the pitch or just a lazy approach. RB was giving the midfield the hurry up and come on most of the game - did not here any guidance or enthusing towards the front men though..
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our "tempo" to use a managerial word, was pretty non existent yesterday with laboured play and some appalling distribution by the back four who obviously had some sort of falling out with the midfield as even when the midfielder was available and unmarked they would still lump it forward to give possession back to Shrewsbury, who at least attacked with some conviction and pace. Some of our players looked as though they had been out all night on the razz, we just didnt seem to have any life in our play.
But the most disappointing thing for me is the managers comment on the BBC site that we "dominated the game" and Josh Simpson controlled the game. Now I thought Josh was one of the few who played ok and two nicely taken goals, but apart from a bit of huff and puff in the last 10 minutes I couldnt see any time we "controlled" or dominated the game?
We were playing against one of our opponents from last season who we had pretty much dominated in both games last season, they were devoid of confidence having not won away all season and I think it was mainly the fact that they got nervous and dropped deeper in defence for the last half hour that got us back in the game?
He might be convincing himself, but to most watching there yesterday we put in a pretty poor performance against one of the sides we should be beating. Our good and poor performances this season have been spread across good and poorer pitches (ours being one but not unplayable as we have shown on occasions) so it cannot just be laid at the door of our pitch.
Matt88
First Team
First Team

Topics: 36

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes having a striker in and around the box causing havoc can leave the other striker with half a yard of space. Sometimes it's not all about the goal scoring, it's about drawing out defenders, creating chances.

This I think Akinde does well, yes he can't score for toffee, but that's not the be all and end all. Look at the crap Torres last season Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: