CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

A few words for all those....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: A few words for all those.... Reply with quote

...Lightweight Arsenal fans who left early when their team were being stuffed last night....

...that'll flippin' learn ya..! Smile Very Happy Smile
mustaphashot
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 293

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why supporters expect the Fat Lady to sing after 30 minutes I shall never know.

She might clear her throat, or even approach the stage, but sing- NEVER.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A few words for all those.... Reply with quote

thad wrote:
...Lightweight Arsenal fans who left early when their team were being stuffed last night....

...that'll flippin' learn ya..! Smile Very Happy Smile

Yawn Yawn.

How many Crawley fans leave the ground from 35 minutes onwards, especially after conceding a goal, only to return to their spot 25 minutes later after a burger and a pint?

Commentators and reporters I expect to be ignorant of this fact of fan life, I do not expect you to be.

Ian
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A few words for all those.... Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
How many Crawley fans leave the ground from 35 minutes onwards, especially after conceding a goal, only to return to their spot 25 minutes later after a burger and a pint?

It is not at all unique to gooners - although they did fork out good money to miss a cracker last night - I have witnessed the phenomena for decades.... of the many Crawley fans...

...leaving the ground from 35 minutes onwards, especially after conceding a goal, only to return to their spot 25 minutes later after a burger and a pint...

...and while I am not immune to the attractions of burgers & pints... and don't particularly enjoy seeing my team being beaten... I always see it through to the bitter end... and have never understood those with a different mindset....(?)

dontknow

As my mate once said about the opera... you appreciate the pearl fishers aria so much more if you have sat through the pained warblings of fat people wailing in italian for an hour beforehand.
Stuart of Shildon
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A few words for all those.... Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Ian wrote:

It is not at all unique to gooners - although they did fork out good money to miss a cracker last night - I have witnessed the phenomena for decades.... of the many Crawley fans...

...leaving the ground from 35 minutes onwards, especially after conceding a goal, only to return to their spot 25 minutes later after a burger and a pint...

...and while I am not immune to the attractions of burgers & pints... and don't particularly enjoy seeing my team being beaten... I always see it through to the bitter end... and have never understood those with a different mindset....(?)

dontknow

As my mate once said about the opera... you appreciate the pearl fishers aria so much more if you have sat through the pained warblings of fat people wailing in italian for an hour beforehand.
I have to disagree with you thad, i remember at Town mead, where you stuck your hat on the corner flag and walked out of the gate, i can not remember the date but it was when steve wicks was in charge.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A few words for all those.... Reply with quote

optico wrote:
I have to disagree with you thad, i remember at Town mead, where you stuck your hat on the corner flag and walked out of the gate, i can not remember the date but it was when steve wicks was in charge.

Of course everything is possible, particularly if drinking was involved... but I genuinely cannot recall the incident at all...

Now I was certainly there in the Wicks era.. but I have never been keen on hats particularly back in those days when I had a fine head of hair... Embarassed

...the only time I can recall wearing headwear to games back then was the santa hat i've occasionally worn on festive occasions... Embarassed

..also back then my behaviour was moderated by my daughter who kept me on a very short rein... Embarassed

...can you recall if I was being led astray by Big Trev.. who was always diligently in the bar whenever a ref signalled the start or end of play... or perhaps they had an early "happy hour" at the Swan...(?)

scratch

Sorry to harp on... but having smugly told people that the only time I have ever left a match early was when accompanied by a steward.. I'd be very disappointed to discover I'd been kidding myself for many years.
weststandwatcher
First Team
First Team

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A few words for all those.... Reply with quote

thad wrote:

Now Thad, shame on you!!!!

The Pearl Fishers was written in French and is sung in French!

The 'aria' you refer to, is actually a duet "Au fond du temple saint".

As for the 'warblings of fat people', just take a peek at one of the best sopranos in the world.

http://www.annanetrebko.com/

The voice of an angel and the face of a godess....sigh........ she really is just as lovely in person
Ashdown Red
First Team
First Team

Topics: 31

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A few words for all those.... Reply with quote

weststandwatcher wrote:
thad wrote:

As for the 'warblings of fat people', just take a peek at one of the best sopranos in the world.

The voice of an angel and the face of a godess....sigh........ she really is just as lovely in person

Would she be available to sing before the match and at half time? With Reggie conducting it would be a step up from the Devilettes.

Admin edit: Post extracted from within quote
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A few words for all those.... Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Ian wrote:

dontknow

But they don't miss the end. They come back. They just find beer more important than the last 5 or 10 minutes of the first half.

The geezer that the TV picked on has posting photos of himself in the ground at full time all day as if to say "stop bein a div, I'm a football fan and I sometimes have to leave my seat for filling or emptying and we often do it when our team has conceded a goal".

It is, after all, a convenient break in play.

I think you missed my point old bean.

Confused
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey - it was a strange day yesterday when forum users were actually agreeing with my opinions... normal service has been resumed...

Westand... I was quoting my mate... who was deliberately mixing his metaphors for comedic effect... and I thought it fitted in with fat ladies clearing their throats... alas... yes I should have been more careful... as you are clearly a man who knows his arias from his elbow.

Ian... yes it is cheap journalism... and a cheap shot on my part too... guilty.. but I do have an issue with people leaving early when it disturbs my terrace misery and thought they deserved a cheap shot or two.

And I still believe that I have never voluntarily left a match early... unless you lot know better...? Embarassed
far2jammy
First Team
First Team

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was shocked by the numbers leaving 5 mins early against Oldham. Mainly from the east stand the game was 1-1 and we looked likely to score ? It not as if traffic or trains over crowding is a nightmare at Broadfield?
nemo
Coach
Coach

Topics: 81

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A few words for all those.... Reply with quote

weststandwatcher wrote:
thad wrote:

....and its also one of my favourite operas so whats this rubbish about pained warblings for an hour beforehand - obviously philistines!! Evil or Very Mad
weststandwatcher
First Team
First Team

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A few words for all those.... Reply with quote

brian the wateratt wrote:
weststandwatcher wrote:
thad wrote:

....and its also one of my favourite operas so whats this rubbish about pained warblings for an hour beforehand - obviously philistines!! Evil or Very Mad

You tell him Brian!!

Laughing
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes you wonder about all those many people who have watched performances of The Mousetrap (a whodunnit by Agatha Christie) over the decades... how many left the theatre five minutes before the curtain went down Shocked

brian the wateratt wrote:

Watch it - i've got more culture than yoghurt... spent my time at ROH Covent Garden & Glyndebourne too and attended more than my share of ballets... I think the real philistines amongst us are those that interpreted the witty & subtle observation by my friend - who incidentally travels across europe for his regular fix of opera - just a spot too literally..!
mustaphashot
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 293

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A discussion about opera on the Crawley Town fans forum!!
I never thought I would live to see the day.

By the way- I can save you all a lot of time and expense with regard to the Mousetrap. The one who dunnit was......

AAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: