CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Leyton Orient matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
steve leake wrote:
jimjeroo wrote:
Appreciated mate, lower league football prices are now a rip off. But the fact remains Crawley are still getting low attendances which surely needs addressing.
So will there be a bumper attendance on Tuesday?

No Steve because it is a competition that has very little interest to most.

Money is the single most concern of everybody.In times of financial uncertainty, rising food prices and utility costs it's even more of a concern.
Honestly,we all look at how much we we are paying for stuff these days and football is very much included in that.
I agree and if you are going to give a game a miss this has to be the one, be lucky to get 1500 for this
canuck chris
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say with utter confidence that I went to every Gilbert rice floodlight cup match in the 70's/80's...now that was tinpot.
How spoilt the Crawley fan of today is that they have to endure Gillingham on a Tuesday evening instead of Redhill. Just saying....
d_c_bryan
First Team
First Team

Topics: 19

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuck chris wrote:
I can say with utter confidence that I went to every Gilbert rice floodlight cup match in the 70's/80's...now that was tinpot.
How spoilt the Crawley fan of today is that they have to endure Gillingham on a Tuesday evening instead of Redhill. Just saying....

Boo hiss, I used to support Redhill in the 70's when I lived nearby, seem to remember we were both in the Premier Midweek Floodlight League then and Redhill beat Crawley 5-1. Three points for an away win but only two for a home win.
jimjeroo
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notso wrote:
steve leake wrote:
jimjeroo wrote:
Appreciated mate, lower league football prices are now a rip off. But the fact remains Crawley are still getting low attendances which surely needs addressing.

I'm going, purely because of the price and no other reason. If it was any higher I would give it a miss. Too many future games to worry about, the JPT really is Mickey Mouse nowadays.

Same reason as that. No there won't be a bumper crowd as its a cup few care about. But if you want bumper crowds for league games the club has to reduce the prices.

And yes I appreciate the Prem is a rip off, Sky predictably ruined the national game as soon as they came on the scene, the rich clubs get richer and the lower clubs suffer but who truly pays for all of this? The fans by being mugged off left right and centre.

Last edited by jimjeroo on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can all see that my IMPACT SUB tactics were spot on... except for the minor detail that Clarke went off instead of coming on... Rolling Eyes

Gotta say that Orient were very good in the middle and their big number eight (Griffith I think) looked very impressive. Exactly the sort of game where we have lost points in the past, so be thankful for one moment of guile from Jones and a very calm finish.

And speaking of calm (and Jones)... a bit of credit to our keeper who goes about his business with a lack of drama, nice to finally have someone who catches crosses as a matter of routine.

Not a great win... but a really great three points...!
pastmaster
Trainee
Trainee

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first game Iíve been to since the non league days and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I sat in the new stand and would you believe it was right in front of a bloke I used to play schools rep (North West Sussex) football with and havenít seen him since I was 15!

I also bumped into so many people I knew from having lived in the town for 45 years (been away in East Sussex for 10) it felt like home so will be getting down as often as I can from now on.

The atmosphere was great and although my old mate(whoís a season ticket holder) tells me we didnít play as well as we can I was well impressed with the level of skill and pace and commitment that I saw.

I brought a friend with me who also had a good time so although I was a regular back in the Town Mead days I guess I now qualify as a new fan so looking forward to some more fun at the Broadfield.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought the phrase 'impact sub' was code for essentially a cr@p player who got lucky with the old goal now and again so got the tag.

Think Mark Robins at Man Utd.

The only player that could truly claim to be a real impact sub would be Ole Solskjaer.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
I've always thought the phrase 'impact sub' was code for essentially a cr@p player who got lucky with the old goal now and again so got the tag.

You mean like "Target Man"... a striker who doesn't score goals..!

I think it is more a case with an "impact sub" that they are not suited to 90 minutes of grafting as it takes the edge off their game (Ole being a good case in point).
Greg
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 378

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pastmaster wrote:
I also bumped into so many people I knew from having lived in the town for 45 years (been away in East Sussex for 10)

Welcome back, did you used to go to Town Mead?

And what kind of excuse for not going is living in East Sussex, it's hardly Timbuktu? Wink Laughing

Glad that you enjoyed the day, we didn't play that well, you should have come to the previous game v Bolton, but 9/12 in L1 and 4th you really cannot complain (I personally feel like I'm floating on a cloud as far as CTFC is concerned at the moment) - though from earlier posts it appears that some people did!
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:

You mean like "Target Man"... a striker who doesn't score goals..!

Hehe, yeah. The classic was Heskey. People who are actually respected in the game were arguing that he was right selection for England because of what he brings other than goals.

At least Peter Crouch does the donkey work but can score.
GillsMan
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
And speaking of calm (and Jones)... a bit of credit to our keeper who goes about his business with a lack of drama, nice to finally have someone who catches crosses as a matter of routine.

Completely agree - he comes across as extremely serious and, tbh, I like that in a 'keeper!
pastmaster
Trainee
Trainee

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:

Welcome back, did you used to go to Town Mead?

pastmaster wrote:

I brought a friend with me who also had a good time so although I was a regular back in the Town Mead days I guess I now qualify as a new fan so looking forward to some more fun at the Broadfield.

Thanks for the welcome Greg, it was back in the days of Phil Basey, Colin Blaber, Tony Goodgame, Dave Leedham, Eric Whittington, Dave Cockle, Roy Jennings, John Maggs et al.

Beating Brighton in the final of the Sussex senior cup wearing our lucky yellow strip was a good night as I recall.

I played for the local Sunday morning youth league ('Playleader League') rep team and was coached by the great Vic Bragg so many happy memories of the old place but nothing compared to the great stuff I saw on Saturday so looking forward to the next one.
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only player that could truly claim to be a real impact sub would be Ole Solskjaer.

Or the ginger guy who played for Liverpool ,

I can't remember his name but i am sure somebody can

Was it David Fairclough ?
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maidenbower Millionaire wrote:

Or the ginger guy who played for Liverpool ,

I can't remember his name but i am sure somebody can

Was it David Fairclough ?

Len Fairclough? (he asks innocently.........)

What about Norman Whiteside for Man U and Ireland?
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notso wrote:
steve leake wrote:
jimjeroo wrote:

I'm going, purely because of the price and no other reason. If it was any higher I would give it a miss. Too many future games to worry about, the JPT really is Mickey Mouse nowadays.

Fully agree with you , I had no intention of going to this mickey mouse cup, but as it is realistically priced I will be there cheering us in Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: