Cambridge United matchday thread
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

#1: Cambridge United matchday thread Author: Site Admin PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:39 am
    —
Please keep any discussion of today's game against Cambridge United to this thread. Any others may be merged with this one, locked or deleted.

Those unable to get to the game will be able to keep up to date with the action with commentary on Reds Player.

There is also text commentary available from the BBC and Sporting Life courtesy of the Press Association.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39676831
https://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/22709/commentary

#2:  Author: Phil BLocation: Ifield, Crawley PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:37 pm
    —
1-0 (35 mins) Embarassed

HT : 1-0

#3:  Author: allanpLocation: The posh part of Crawley ! PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:57 pm
    —
Looking at the league table as it stands Crawley are on course to finish 22nd and to think we didn't think Newport had any chance of catching us a few weeks ago. Now thank goodness for Hartlepool.

#4:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:14 pm
    —
allanp wrote:
Looking at the league table as it stands Crawley are on course to finish 22nd and to think we didn't think Newport had any chance of catching us a few weeks ago. Now thank goodness for Hartlepool.
and thankfully only two go down in this league - that's how dreadful this season and the dummy as manager has been. With Mansfield going for the play offs an end of season battering looks like being on the cards!

#5:  Author: Phil BLocation: Ifield, Crawley PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:20 pm
    —
Don't you just love their positivity !

Newport suddenly 1-2 down

Hartlepool 0-1 down

Harrold and Roberts on for Djalo and Boldewijn (58 mins)

Last edited by Phil B on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

#6:  Author: allanpLocation: The posh part of Crawley ! PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:27 pm
    —
I know we are safe this season but form since Chrismas is the worst in League 2.

#7:  Author: PCrawley1 PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:30 pm
    —
Broken record, Kaby subbed of again.

#8:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:34 pm
    —
allanp wrote:
I know we are safe this season but form since Chrismas is the worst in League 2.

No it isn't, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good moan. Razz

#9:  Author: Phil BLocation: Ifield, Crawley PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:50 pm
    —
88 mins Cambridge penalty and Payne red card

2-0 Embarassed Embarassed

FT : 2-0

Newports loss means Crawley cannot finish lower than 20th

Last edited by Phil B on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

#10:  Author: allanpLocation: The posh part of Crawley ! PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:53 pm
    —
Well more possession than the opposition but fewer shots - as usual.

#11:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:00 pm
    —
It stuns me we are sticking with the manager and 80 percent of the same players next season. The performances have been abject and we will finish lower than last seasons dreadful season.

No leadership at the club , no edge or winning mentality.

#12:  Author: ElTel PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:02 pm
    —
On the bright side the players and Drummy say they are all "buying" into his brand of football, am I missing something as they seem clueless void of any tactics or gameplan.

Last edited by ElTel on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

#13:  Author: Phil BLocation: Ifield, Crawley PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:06 pm
    —
Up next on CTFC Fans Forum = the Night of the Long Knives.

#14:  Author: TownMeadLeftoverLocation: South Devon PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:22 pm
    —
Phil B wrote:

How comes we're 21st this evening then?

Only 90 more minutes of misery to go now, then we can all ask the old annual question, can next season possibly be worse than this season?

#15:  Author: allanpLocation: The posh part of Crawley ! PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:05 pm
    —
TownMeadLeftover wrote:
Phil B wrote:

How comes we're 21st this evening then?

Only 90 more minutes of misery to go now, then we can all ask the old annual question, can next season possibly be worse than this season?

Yes it can (to paraphrase Barack Obama)

#16:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:16 pm
    —
I think the club needs to pull Drum my from these post match interviews. He is beginning to remind me of Jeremy Corbyn. Talking about a world that will never exist and all the charisma of a half eaten kipper.

#17:  Author: rupton PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:21 pm
    —
On the coach coming home one of the worst displays of the season. No idea no passion clueless. They look so unfit keep giving the ball away. against a average team. God help us next season?

#18:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:25 pm
    —
I have said all season we aren't fit enough. Payne Cox and enzio the main culprits but you see the energy in some visiting teams to the Broad field and we look like pensioners.

All points to Drum my being to soft and no passion its like he's running an allotment association not a football club.

#19:  Author: Hickmott Senior PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:54 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:
I think the club needs to pull Drum my from these post match interviews. He is beginning to remind me of Jeremy Corbyn. Talking about a world that will never exist and all the charisma of a half eaten kipper.

He's more deluded than Comical Ali but nowhere near as entertaining

#20:  Author: Phil TLocation: Ifield PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:30 pm
    —
Let's look on the bright side - at least Payne won't be able to play next week

Wink

#21:  Author: John The GasLocation: Sunny Horsham PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:54 pm
    —
Peter wrote:
allanp wrote:

Were you there today.Peter?

Obviously not.

JTG

#22:  Author: John The GasLocation: Sunny Horsham PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:15 pm
    —
Yet again, in his usual post match interview, our Glorious Man at the Helm suggested we "go again".

Well, having watched our boys turn in a display today against a very average Cambridge United side that had most of their forwards missing, we still failed to put in a shift and have more than the usual one shot on target - yes, ONE SOLITARY SHOT ON TARGET.

Drummy said that he has the nucleus of his team for next season. Well if that's the case, then I do fear that next season will be the last in League 2.

I honestly think that we have not improved this season at all, in fact, I think we have got worse.

Time for the owner to wield the axe, I think/hope.

JTG

#23:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:18 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:
a kipper smells more of roses than the dummy does. Dummy out!

#24:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:46 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:

I must say they are getting a bit dull.

Always seems to be trying to find a positive which I'm struggling to see myself.

Our form over the last 20 games really is shockingly bad. Middle of January we were mid table and the playoffs were still in reach.

Now we are 21st and can't buy a win.

#25:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:50 pm
    —
Simon wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:

I must say they are getting a bit dull.

Always seems to be trying to find a positive which I'm struggling to see myself.

Our form over the last 20 games really is shockingly bad. Middle of January we were mid table and the playoffs were still in reach.

Now we are 21st and can't buy a win.
and its this reason among many others that says you cant argue for giving the dummy any more time. Sack the clown.

#26:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:18 pm
    —
John The Gas wrote:
Peter wrote:
allanp wrote:

You don't need to have been there today to know we've not had the worse form in the league since Christmas. The stats tell me that! Shocked

#27:  Author: Alex BH PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:51 pm
    —
Another loss Neutral We've stayed up, I suppose that's a small positive. Our form in the last few months has been dreadful, not only the results have been awful, but the performances have been dreadfully dull. Can I bear another season of this dross? I think I won't be the only person contemplating renewing my season ticket.

#28:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:25 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:
It stuns me we are sticking with the manager and 80 percent of the same players next season. The performances have been abject and we will finish lower than last seasons dreadful season.

Boring.

#29:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:54 pm
    —
backofthenet wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:

Boring.

So exactly is the dummy gonna achieve the owners objective? Has 2017 given us indications how the manequin can turn things around? Keep the dummy and we will be soon crashing outta the next level down like York City....and we havnt the resourses fan base to EVER climb back. Yes if we are relegated Crawley will NEVER play league football again. We simply cannot afford the dummy to destroy the heart of this great football club. Dummy must go. SACK HIM!

#30:  Author: notsoLocation: Worth PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:28 am
    —
Phil T wrote:
Let's look on the bright side - at least Payne won't be able to play next week

Wink

Beat me to it thumbright

The first time I've left an away match before the final whistle Sad

#31:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:13 pm
    —
Saw the first Utd goal on TV last noght and have to say defensively we looked all over the place as in fact we did when Payne was overrun and conceeded, this (as in many other areas) is something the dummy has continuously failed to address in his manager role and clearly the coaches are incapable.

#32:  Author: GraemeLocation: Norwich PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:24 am
    —
The comments on Saturdays game stun me. I wonder if the guys commenting were actually there and if so should they go to specsavers ?
i seen a lot worse games than Saturdays.

I though overall we were unlucky, certainly not a 2-0 game.
We were looking good in the first half, until the defence went to sleep (again!) that brought the Cambridge crowd to life and I think it was the turning point of the game.
In the second half we honestly didn't create enough and Cambridge were solid at the back and really controlled the game. When Harrold came on I thought we looked better and started winning a few headers and stretched them a bit.
As for the penalty we had pushed up to get an equaliser so its hardly a surprise they scored. Although Payne didn't have to take the man down. Payne's defending is always suspect, I always think he is a accident waiting to happen.

I thought Mersin played well when he came on, and might be a good backup to Morris next season.
it was the best I have seen Blackman play although the opposition seem to target him so he has more pressure on him (he still makes me nervous and his positioning is awful.)
The other sub Roberts didn't add anything, I am afraid I just don't think he is good enough at this level.

#33:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:02 am
    —
The issue is simple. In 3 of the last 4 games (Cambridge, Accrington and Cheltenham) we have managed one effort on target.

The exception was Carlisle where we were a bit more 'at it's.

We will rarely win games like that regardless of how much huff and puff we put in.

#34:  Author: thad PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:09 am
    —
Graeme wrote:
The comments on Saturdays game stun me. I wonder if the guys commenting were actually there and if so should they go to specsavers ?
i seen a lot worse games than Saturdays..

I wasn't there and only read the reports which also seemed to suggest we we unlucky,...

Quote:
Defender Scott Wharton gave the U's the lead against the run of play 10 minutes before half-time, glancing Harrison Dunk's corner across Glenn Morris and into the net.

Cambridge had previously been saved by the post when Andre Blackman's effort from distance bounced back off the inside of Will Norris' upright, before Norris produced a superb stop to keep out Jimmy Smith's effort from the edge of the box.

And I'm not going to bleat if we are left with Payne desperately defending in the final minutes because we are chasing the game, cos IMHO that is what we should be doing..(?)

And - just to set myself up for a load of flak - I'm also inclined to agree with the view of our manager that the key attribute we lack is mental toughness... maybe what we require is an old experienced dog-of-war in the middle.. y'know the sort... a Dannie Bulman..!

#35:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:19 am
    —
thad wrote:
Graeme wrote:

I wasn't there and only read the reports which also seemed to suggest we we unlucky,...

Quote:
Defender Scott Wharton gave the U's the lead against the run of play 10 minutes before half-time, glancing Harrison Dunk's corner across Glenn Morris and into the net.

Cambridge had previously been saved by the post when Andre Blackman's effort from distance bounced back off the inside of Will Norris' upright, before Norris produced a superb stop to keep out Jimmy Smith's effort from the edge of the box.

And I'm not going to bleat if we are left with Payne desperately defending in the final minutes because we are chasing the game, cos IMHO that is what we should be doing..(?)

And - just to set myself up for a load of flak - I'm also inclined to agree with the view of our manager that the key attribute we lack is mental toughness... maybe what we require is an old experienced dog-of-war in the middle.. y'know the sort... a Dannie Bulman..!
what the dummy and his staff done to toughen the players up? Nothing. We cant be unlucky every week! Our league position over a season cant be argued with under the dummy we have been *beep*

#36:  Author: John The GasLocation: Sunny Horsham PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:24 am
    —
Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:
Graeme wrote:

Quote:

what the dummy and his staff done to toughen the players up? Nothing. We cant be unlucky every week! Our league position over a season cant be argued with under the dummy we have been *beep*

I have to agree with Triple R.

JTG

#37:  Author: thad PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:50 am
    —
I didn't expect to win a popularity contest, even against RR&R... but it is too simple to constantly shout SACK when things don't go your way...

...lets have a bit of calm reflection and a realistic assessment and a spot of perspective... there are alternative options to starting again, that some appear to lack the imagination to consider.

#38:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:59 am
    —
thad wrote:
I didn't expect to win a popularity contest, even against RR&R... but it is too simple to constantly shout SACK when things don't go your way...

...lets have a bit of calm reflection and a realistic assessment and a spot of perspective... there are alternative options to starting again, that some appear to lack the imagination to consider.
er like the dummy had a say in back room staff....yeah great coaching tactics eeve seen and scouting around stamfored bridge has er ....done *beep* all for us. I imagine Mr Erin will fly in on Saturday on a magic carpet and shower us long suffering fans with gold ad an apology for selling us up the river with dummy being the captain to sail tjis ship up the leagues. Only two get relegated from this league. That has saved dummy's neck. Did Dave Jones do much worse? A little tiny bit maybe.

#39:  Author: thad PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:33 pm
    —
RR&R.. the problem I have with your rather one-dimensional view of the world is that it seems to be based on a belief that if something is not 100% right, then it must be 100% wrong..!

Now we can all take a position on how much is right and how much is wrong.. and what should be done about it... and we can all disagree on that point...

..but can we at least try to make a rational objective assessment based on a few more options than all or nothing.. cos real sustainable progress is never really possible with that short-term set of values, repetitive cycle and limited outlook.

#40:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:03 pm
    —
thad wrote:
RR&R.. the problem I have with your rather one-dimensional view of the world is that it seems to be based on a belief that if something is not 100% right, then it must be 100% wrong..!

Now we can all take a position on how much is right and how much is wrong.. and what should be done about it... and we can all disagree on that point...

..but can we at least try to make a rational objective assessment based on a few more options than all or nothing.. cos real sustainable progress is never really possible with that short-term set of values, repetitive cycle and limited outlook.
i dont wanna wait another season watching drivel from a manager uncapable of making the grade before the penny drops for Mr Erin ....im hopeful the invisible man has seen enough. Are you a sth Thad?

#41:  Author: thad PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:12 pm
    —
Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:

i dont wanna wait another season watching drivel from a manager uncapable of making the grade before the penny drops for Mr Erin ....im hopeful the invisible man has seen enough. Are you a sth Thad?

Funny cos I'm not the one confidently predicting the inevitable... you are..! Shocked

#42:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:34 pm
    —
thad wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:

Funny cos I'm not the one confidently predicting the inevitable... you are..! Shocked
so i wonder non sth...
Can pick and choose as season falls apart unlike sth that cant...that said its been so bad lately i know sth that started staying away too!

#43:  Author: thad PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:14 pm
    —
My confusion, I thought - with strong regard for your liberal attitude to diction - that sth was a jedi warrior who utilized the dark side of the Force.

I'm a pretty dull, everyday fan who has never had a season ticket or ever intends to. There are various reasons but most of all I like the freedom of not having pre-paid for a match I may not be able - or indeed may voluntarily elect not - to attend.

We have disparate perspectives RR&R. I'm not a trigger-happy hire 'em and fire 'em type, I look to the positives and see if they can be built upon... probably a carry-over from my professional experience, which itself seems out of kilter with the modern world of football that appears to be all about instant gratification.

#44:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:23 am
    —
thad wrote:
My confusion, I thought - with strong regard for your liberal attitude to diction - that sth was a jedi warrior who utilized the dark side of the Force.

I'm a pretty dull, everyday fan who has never had a season ticket or ever intends to. There are various reasons but most of all I like the freedom of not having pre-paid for a match I may not be able - or indeed may voluntarily elect not - to attend.

We have disparate perspectives RR&R. I'm not a trigger-happy hire 'em and fire 'em type, I look to the positives and see if they can be built upon... probably a carry-over from my professional experience, which itself seems out of kilter with the modern world of football that appears to be all about instant gratification.
the more you see (e.g. sth) of the dummy attempting to manage the club you realise how he isnt up for the job. Yes we've had one or two half-baked attempts at playing football but if you look across the whole season you will see Crawley have underperformed failed to largely entertain recuit retain fans and performances have simply got worse with many players retained, dummy's recruits have flopped theres no indication the dummy is capable of changing himself! Weve nose dived so close to nonleague football we cannot afford to wait any longer to change things. The manequin has to go.

#45:  Author: GraemeLocation: Norwich PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 am
    —
Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:

the more you see (e.g. sth) of the dummy attempting to manage the club you realise how he isnt up for the job. Yes we've had one or two half-baked attempts at playing football but if you look across the whole season you will see Crawley have underperformed failed to largely entertain recuit retain fans and performances have simply got worse with many players retained, dummy's recruits have flopped theres no indication the dummy is capable of changing himself! Weve nose dived so close to nonleague football we cannot afford to wait any longer to change things. The manequin has to go.

I am not biting, just interested who you want them to replace Dummy with ?
(Please don't say Evans, I think he was really good but he would not be interested without them doubling the budget.)

#46:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:18 am
    —
Careful Graeme. You are dealing with someone who thought signing Collins for 3 years was a big risk.

#47:  Author: IanLocation: The Parish of Rusper PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:21 pm
    —
Phil B wrote:
88 mins Cambridge penalty and Payne red card

2-0 Embarassed Embarassed

FT : 2-0

We're 21st now... Embarassed Embarassed

#48:  Author: IanLocation: The Parish of Rusper PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:23 pm
    —
John The Gas wrote:
Peter wrote:
allanp wrote:

Obviously not.

JTG

And the relevance to statistical facts? Are they exclusively available to travelling fans?

#49:  Author: Alan (Cheltenham Branch) PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:38 pm
    —
Graeme wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:

(Please don't say Evans, I think he was really good but he would not be interested without them doubling the budget.)

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. I have asked the same question on several occasions in the past after the honeymoon period for a new manager has worn off and the ranting started. I never got an answer then - I doubt whether you will get one now.

#50:  Author: GraemeLocation: Norwich PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:59 am
    —
Alan (Cheltenham Branch) wrote:

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. I have asked the same question on several occasions in the past after the honeymoon period for a new manager has worn off and the ranting started. I never got an answer then - I doubt whether you will get one now.

You are obviously correct.

#51:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:40 pm
    —
Graeme wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:

come end of season there will be plenty of good CVs drop on Mr Erin desk he will have plenty to choose from speculating now seems somewhat pointless as im sure more will join the ranks of unemployed and job swopping etc once the seasons finish for all clubs

#52:  Author: Alan (Cheltenham Branch) PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:09 pm
    —
Red, Red & Red wrote:
Graeme wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:

come end of season there will be plenty of good CVs drop on Mr Erin desk he will have plenty to choose from speculating now seems somewhat pointless as im sure more will join the ranks of unemployed and job swopping etc once the seasons finish for all clubs

That may well be true but I don't think Graeme was asking you to speculate on who might apply if there was to be a vacancy. He was asking who you would want to replace the person you seem determined to moan about at every opportunity.

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1