Bradford City matchday thread
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

#1: Bradford City matchday thread Author: Site Admin PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:46 pm
    —
Please keep any discussion of today's game against Bradford City to this thread. Any others may be merged with this one, locked or deleted.

Those unable to get to the game will be able to keep up to date with the action with commentary on the Reds Player and on BBC Surrey on 104/104.6FM.

The official site is providing a matchday blog here and text updates via their Twitter account here.

There is also text commentary available from the BBC and Sporting Life courtesy of the Press Association.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28750066
http://www.sportinglife.com/fo.....dford-city

#2:  Author: Crawley BenLocation: Broadfield PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:56 pm
    —
Jensen, Oyebanjo, Dickson, Leacock, Walsh, Bradley, Smith, Bawling, Tomlin, McLeod, Edwards,

Subs: Young, Banya, Henderson, Essam, Rose, O'Connor, Richefond

#3:  Author: GillsManLocation: Dorking PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:38 pm
    —
Jaysus that's a lightweight midfield. I presume Bawling is playing centre mid. That scares me a bit. That, and I left my lucky shirt at work so I'm afraid we will probably lose today.

#4:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:59 pm
    —
Any Crawley fans there tonight?
Sitting in my armchair,I can hear only Bradford fans....and they're not overly loud!

#5:  Author: thedarkhorseLocation: Sheffield, Yorks PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:05 pm
    —
Armchairfan wrote:
Sitting in my armchair,I can hear only Bradford fans....and they're not overly loud!

A few here. Maybe we should make the noise for once...

#6:  Author: ctfc4evaLocation: Ifield, Crawley PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:35 pm
    —
Armchairfan wrote:

I couldn't go to the game but drove past about 8.10pm and my son opened the car windows and is all we heard was "play up Bradford!!" Worried us a bit!

#7:  Author: butlersoftLocation: TILGATE PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:54 pm
    —
0-1 Sad

#8:  Author: butlersoftLocation: TILGATE PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 pm
    —
1 - 1 WALSH!!!

#9:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:04 pm
    —
That's more like it,get in.
Come on you Reds.

#10:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:05 pm
    —
Boo

#11:  Author: butlersoftLocation: TILGATE PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:06 pm
    —
Sad 1 - 2

#12:  Author: butlersoftLocation: TILGATE PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:12 pm
    —
Attendance : 2,225

#13:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:13 pm
    —
butlersoft wrote:
Attendance : 2,225

How many away fans? Got to be 350 minimum.

#14:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:17 pm
    —
Jamie Proctor scores for Fleetwood.

#15:  Author: butlersoftLocation: TILGATE PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:20 pm
    —
Armchairfan wrote:
Jamie Proctor scores for Fleetwood.

Puts them 2pts clear at the top.

Meanwhile we've gone from 5th ... to 4th .. to 8th .. to 9th in a 15 minute spell....

They've had 10 shots (4 on target) and have pulled possession back from 28% at 30 minutes to 46% now...

#16:  Author: butlersoftLocation: TILGATE PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 pm
    —
1 - 3 Sad

#17:  Author: thedarkhorseLocation: Sheffield, Yorks PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 pm
    —
Bah. Bradford

#18:  Author: GillsManLocation: Dorking PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:27 pm
    —
How Bawling has stayed on when Edwards was taken off is beyond me. Was Gwion injured? He didn't look it.

#19:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
    —
What's happened to our unbeatable defence??
Conference crowd,Conference performance by the looks.
Chalk this one off and on to the next ASAP me thinks.

On a side note,with three minutes remaining,only Gills and Notts County currently leading at home in League One.

#20:  Author: butlersoftLocation: TILGATE PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:38 pm
    —
1 - 3 Final Score

#21:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:39 pm
    —
Was the BBC stat correct,one shot on target??
If true that's poor.

#22:  Author: AlunLocation: Pound Hill PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:45 pm
    —
Pathetic performance.

#23:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:53 pm
    —
Armchairfan wrote:
Was the BBC stat correct,one shot on target??
If true that's poor.

I can't remember any others apart from the goal.

#24:  Author: rubyred PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:54 pm
    —
We have a very poor side this season. Despite the lucky earlier results, overall it's the worst side i've seen us have since the majeeds era.

#25:  Author: 2oo2Red PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:04 pm
    —
We need Josh Simpson back ASAP, even then he cant do it all. Midfield was just over run time and time again.

#26:  Author: John The GasLocation: Sunny Horsham PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:05 pm
    —
Out thought, Out fought in every department. No pride or passion to wear the Red shirt.

Bradford wanted the victory more than us - their number 11, Knott controlled the midfield and ran the show. Did their 'keeper have a save to make?

All in all,a feeble,spineless showing from the men in red.

JTG

#27:  Author: Crawley BenLocation: Broadfield PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:09 pm
    —
John The Gas wrote:
Out thought, Out fought in every department. No pride or passion to wear the Red shirt.

Bradford wanted the victory more than us - their number 11, Knott controlled the midfield and ran the show. Did their 'keeper have a save to make?

All in all,a feeble,spineless showing from the men in red.

JTG

I don't think I could have put it better myself. Totally spineless & gutless performance tonight, let's hope it's a one off.

Ben

Last edited by Crawley Ben on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

#28:  Author: oldcodgerLocation: Stoke on Trent PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:11 pm
    —
First half pretty even and a reasonable game of football. Second half we were given a lesson. Bradford thoroughly deserved the three goals as they ran us ragged.
Their goal keeper was not troubled at all second half and we were embarrassingly out played in midfield, could have been 6 or 7.

Substitutions were a little strange unless there were injuries we were not aware of.

Poor crowd of £2,200 Well done to Bradford long way to come on an evening game.

I think Bradford are worth a punt for automatic promotion.

Lets hope its a blip, off to Sheffield on Saturday not going with too much confidence, however...

#29:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:13 pm
    —
We need more experience in midfield. The transfer window is still open so hopefully that will give Gregory the chance to sign someone.

#30:  Author: paul jbLocation: bored field PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:14 pm
    —
was the same against Swindon.Alarm bells clearly not ringing loud enough at Crawley though.Midfield chasing shadows for two games on the spin is a big worry.Hope Josh is back soon..and it's an old chestnut but Dannie Bulman is badly missed already.

#31:  Author: David RLocation: Jeju Island, South Korea PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 pm
    —
I'm not a negative person, but that performance has damaged us, it was embarrassing, some of the very few who went tonight, 2000 for heavens sake, will not be coming back. God, we were awful.

#32:  Author: AlunLocation: Pound Hill PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:20 pm
    —
We desperately need someone in the Bulman mould. Someone who can disrupt the opponents. Without fail, lost possession in the attacking third resulted in defending our penalty area.

I can't remember a Bradford attack being broken up in midfield. We're totally powder puff and it's seriously worrying. Not one of our midfield look willing or able to mix it. We need someone horrible and we need them urgently.

We gave Bradford so much time and space all over the pitch, yet when we had the ball they were all over us, giving us no space at all.

Sadly the crowd reflected the apathy on the pitch. It seemed as if hardly anyone of a Crawley persuasion wanted to be there, whether they were on the pitch or in the stands.

Last edited by Alun on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

#33:  Author: Crawley Dan PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:22 pm
    —
Everything about tonight, our performance, our crowd (under 2000 home fans in LEAGUE ONE!) our lack of effort, passion and spirit was all in one word - pathetic.

Still, it can't be that bad again on Saturday...... can it? Shocked

#34:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:26 pm
    —
We need someone who can win the ball, but the manager need to tell them to try and keep the ball it's either booted forward or when they do pass it it invariably goes astray.

I am sure we have a decent back five, but the the midfield and the managers football philosophy for the team need addressing ASAP.

We have been one of the best passing teams in the league. Over the last two season with skilful players . Yes we couldn't retain them but this lot in midfield wouldn't compete in conference league . It's embarrassing to watch.

#35:  Author: fnbLocation: Skaville PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:28 pm
    —
Seen all 3 league games.
Barnsley, we just about deserved the win.
Swindon, we muuged them.
Bradford, totally dominated a very light-weight mid-field. And we got what we deserved, nothing.

Unless JG signs a mid-field general in the Bulman mould and some-one with a touch of creativity I can see a hard season ahead.

#36:  Author: lee 66 PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:30 pm
    —
The worse performance in years.
The team on that showing will get relegated.I hope it's an over reaction from me,but worryingly I don't think it is.We were run ragged against Swindon on Saturday and got away with it,tonight we were well and truly found out.
The whole night was a bore fest.We didn't have a shot of any note the whole match.We lacked quality,oh for some quality.To be fair Edwards had one great run at the end of the first half and did put a few decent crosses into the box,all to no avail because we had no one to get on the end of them.
The midfield is a problem,no it's more then a problem,it's a bloody nightmare.We aren't stupid we can see it simply isn't league one quality. I soppose you get what you pay for and with our pitiful support we are getting what we deserve.
£18 to watch that ,Christ,what a total waste of money.We certainly won't see the crowds grow if it continues like this.
Talking of the crowd,what is happening.We are back to conference levels. It is as big a concern as that performance.

Last edited by lee 66 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

#37:  Author: Alex BH PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:34 pm
    —
First half we competed well.

Second half we lost our way once they regained the lead and it could of been 5 or 6. The midfield is very poor, doesn't get stuck in and can't retain possession.

Bawling is full of energy but has little quality. Smith, who I thought would be a Bulman type player, doesn't do enough. And up front we didn't cause them many problems.

Can't understand why Gwion was taken off in the second half he's one of our main threats, Bawling just isn't a winger.

Dickson I thought was one of our better players, tried to get down the wing and get some crosses in.

Gwion did well providing a threat down the wing and almost scored again.

The cracks were showing even when we were winning, hopefully this will be the kick up the backside they need to improve things.

Last edited by Alex BH on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

#38:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 pm
    —
Last two home games

Swindon 28 shots on target Crawley 6

Bradford 13 shots on target Crawley 3.

John Gregory needs to change the way he is getting the team to play I thought he wanted us to play attacking football.

We are playing attack and defend they attack we give them the ball back and defend again.

#39:  Author: jacko spinking PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:39 pm
    —
i thought we were outstanding tonight and really really unlucky we should have won at least 5-3 it was embarrassing how good we were and how poor Bradford were, i cant believe we lost 3-1

#40:  Author: srn151161Location: North holmwood PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:44 pm
    —
As predicted after the Swindon game our luck would run out...We are at best a mid table team and have just played probably two of the best teams in this league. Bradford were a well organized physically strong team.

No need to panic but don't think its going to be a pretty season..We are set up to counter attack both home and away and just praying we always score first..

#41:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:45 pm
    —
It wasn't good, however we did the hard work once getting back on terms and then threw it away. They were the better side, as were Swindon who missed their chances.

We only had one effort on goal (scored) - we had a few half chances first half but just like last season we faffed around instead of getting shots in.

If anyone on here knows who was playing in midfield can they let us know as it appeared to be the invisible man and a couple of brothers.

If we really have reinvested the money saved from Drury, Fadz etc then on what I have seen we have spent it pretty badly.

The crowd was a shocker, then again if we are going to average less than a goal a game we will always struggle.

To cap it all Jamie Proctor has scored 3 in 3 league games for Fleetwood, couldn't hit a cow's @rse with a banjo at Crawley and took him to January to get to 3.

#42:  Author: lee 66 PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:46 pm
    —
jacko spinking wrote:
i thought we were outstanding tonight and really really unlucky we should have won at least 5-3 it was embarrassing how good we were and how poor Bradford were, i cant believe we lost 3-1
laughing7

#43:  Author: guildford roader PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:52 pm
    —
Second best throughout and won't be the last time we get turned over, It's always been about survival for me, just hope there are 4 worse teams. We all know the central midfield is weak but not sure how much is in the purse to address it with 2000 gates. Big challenge for JG as he's gone for similar types of small, pacy players adding a Banya rather than a Bully today. Can't see him continuing to play 2 wide men (Gwion and Dickson today) and 2 upfront when the middle, particularly Smith, are so exposed.

#44:  Author: ant PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:57 pm
    —
We were playing the whole game with ten men at best. smith stands and shouts about where players should be but fails to put his foot in.

After getting back into it he literally stood and directed Oberbanjo to tackle at the start of the build up to their second.

Embarrassing really embarrassing [/i]

#45:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:57 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:
Last two home games

Swindon 28 shots on target Crawley 6

Bradford 13 shots on target Crawley 3.

John Gregory needs to change the way he is getting the team to play I thought he wanted us to play attacking football.

We are playing attack and defend they attack we give them the ball back and defend again.
there's not much.the.genius can do with two headless chickens. 1 banjo files to clear his lines and they score what idiot awards hi mom? then second headless chicken and bob runs around works very hard but like all the others lacks ability the piggy bank is empty it's a miracle we didn't lose by more goalsy

#46:  Author: Thomasfrances1 PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:58 pm
    —
I find it strange that Mitchell Rose hasn't been given a go, in midfield.

The problems are there for us all to see, so surely it'd would have been worth bringing him on tonight. Strange loan signing, if he's never going to feature.

#47:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:10 pm
    —
To be fair Bawling and Banya put a shift in when they're on. They don't have a lot of technique in their play but they work hard. Tomlin barley moves and looks uninterested. Smith should be better not sure he has the mobility to play in an out numbered midfield.

Henderson needs to shape up quickly. His dead ball crosses and corners are very good. His passing in general play is very inaccurate but tackling and defence well it looks like he just doesn't do it.

To think we sold Drurry and replaced him with Henderson

At one point he had the world at his feet literally coming through at Arsenal but he is running out of chances. If he carries on playing like he is there won't be many places to go at the end of the season.

I have some sympathy in so far he could never imagined he was joining a team that plays the way we do but even within the confines of the boot it upfield game we play he has been lacking in some fundamental areas. Embarassed Embarassed

#48:  Author: Bianchiboy PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:21 pm
    —
You have to hope that Bradford are one of the better teams in this league after that performance?
I fear a long season awaits us, but that is the reality of being a small club in a big league, our rapid progress was always going to catch up with us eventually.
If we can stay up it will be a job well done, anymore than that will be a bonus.

#49:  Author: jules59Location: crawley PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 pm
    —
Awful evening.We have no holding midfielder.Hard to pick out anyone who came out of the game with much credit.
Edwards should have stayed on,i just hope this is a blip,we can't afford to put up with the rubbish served up tonight.

#50:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:44 pm
    —
jules59 wrote:
Awful evening.We have no holding midfielder.Hard to pick out anyone who came out of the game with much credit.
Edwards should have stayed on,i just hope this is a blip,we can't afford to put up with the rubbish served up tonight.
get used to it wont get lucky playimg ten men often and cant do much better than stick.players behind ball play it long and on break weve.no.qualitu

#51:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:57 pm
    —
Some post-match reaction:

JG talking to BBC Surrey - https://audioboo.fm/boos/2407531
Bobson Bawling talking to BBC Surrey - https://audioboo.fm/boos/2407524
JG interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kuf20vy_fg
Bobson Bawling interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxUo74YjkkE

#52:  Author: mickfLocation: Southgate PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:01 am
    —
What is also a worry is that we do not seem to have the wit to change during the game.
I lost count after about 5000 long balls aimed up to McCleod and I dont think he managed to get his head on one, not a real criticism of him as we should be playing the ball through for him on the ground but it seems to be a team tactic to lump it long and aimlessly?
We try a few passes across the back line and you get excited that we are trying to build an attack but then they seem to lose the will and lump it forward again. Mind our midfield are not exactly screaming for the ball from the defence?
I wont even mention the fact we are still bringing all 11 back for corners even when 3-1 down, and it is so crowded (just with Crawley players) in the 6 yard box that the Beast struggles to get to the ball.
Having said all that the last two crowds have been pathetic after a decent battling performance last Tuesday (which seems like a long time ago now!)

#53:  Author: Alex BH PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:08 am
    —
I agree with regards to bring all players back for corners is too negative, especially when 3-1 down when we need to gamble.

The good thing is that we have time on our side, we're only 3 games into the league season and the transfer window is still open.

Hopefully the more the players play together the better they become.

#54:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:09 am
    —
I was slated a little for my comments regarding the low crowd against Swindon.Im thick skinned,I'll live.
I feel compelled to raise the issue again tonight.
People can make excuses about August traditionally being poor for crowds,and I agree......but didn't we average about 3500 last year?
I know figures can be swayed over a season due to differing away followings,but after two games we have had about 5000 through the turnstiles.
My basic mathematical skills suggest we are 1000 down (per game) on average.
Any particular reason for this?
Hopefully it won't be suggested that they are all in Spain,because they're not.

#55:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:10 am
    —
Peter wrote:

Bobson Bawling interview on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxUo74YjkkE
genius was honest to admit his sub mistakes

#56:  Author: Red, Red & Red PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:12 am
    —
poor value for money its costly watching poor quality and Bradford are bori.g poor side wont attract floaters

#57:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:14 am
    —
Armchairfan wrote:
I was slated a little for my comments regarding the low crowd against Swindon.Im thick skinned,I'll live.
People can make excuses about August traditionally being poor for crowds,and I agree......but didn't we average about 3500 last year?
I know figures can be swayed over a season due to differing away followings,but after two games we have had about 5000 through the turnstiles.

Pretty much spot on. Really poor turnout.

The sad thing is that we didn't do enough to encourage people to come back.

After all the negative football of last season, what do we offer.....2 goals in 3 games and one effort on target tonight. Not exactly entertainment.

#58:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:28 am
    —
Armchairfan wrote:

Compared to the first two home games last season we are about 500 home supporters down per game. I posted this on FB in reply to someone asking about the crowd...

'It appears the wholesale changes have had an affect on the crowd. Some people have clearly lost their attachment to the team that they had and have voted with their feet.'

#59:  Author: backofthenetLocation: Oop North PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 am
    —
Deservedly beaten, but we're still 7th! (above SUFC, Doncaster, Preston, Orient amongst others)

JG can only retain/bring in the players he has the budget for.

They're young mostly and still have a lot to learn but they need our support.

Swinedon didn't have the experience/luck/guile to get past us - but Bradford did.

Well done to them and their support.

I think there will prove to be at least 4 worse teams than us.

Having said all the above, our lack of home support is embarrassing - summer holidays or not.

R,R&R and C69 - STFU or offer unconditional support.

See you both at SUFC & Norwich? Evil or Very Mad

#60:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:49 am
    —
Peter wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

Compared to the first two home games last season we are about 500 home supporters down per game. I posted this on FB in reply to someone asking about the crowd...

'It appears the wholesale changes have had an affect on the crowd. Some people have clearly lost their attachment to the team that they had and have voted with their feet.'

First of all,thank you for a more accurate assessment of the crowd figures.
What I would say to that is.....we are in serious trouble.
The suggestion that circa 500 fans have decided to vote with their feet,before a ball is kicked is a real kick in the teeth to the board and the club in general.
The stay aways don't surprise me though...most have a very short affinity with the club.
I've said for a long time,and I'm not alone in my thinking,look after your bread and butter.The club has failed on this with many highly documented situations.
With poor results,the figure will drop further until you're left with what,the average Conference core plus a few hundred extras who really do want to be a part of the club.
Football fans in general are fickle,that's a given,but ours are traditionally somewhere near the top of that league.
Even this very fine forum is a good example.Have a look through the member list and see some of the old log in names on there.
I suspect there are only a few dozen regular contributors on here these days.
Sorry for my doom and gloom,it's just I've been dreading the day we start our backwards slide.

#61:  Author: lee 66 PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:23 am
    —
It's just gone quarter to 6 and I'm sitting in the van going to work.I'm still in shock from last night's match but not sure if I'm angry about it or just disappointed.
Having just read Armchairs post has brought home a reality that we must all share.Is this the start of the decline and inevitable slide back to non league. I'm begining to realise the thought has always been there,hidden away in the back of my mind suppressed and unchallenged because I didn'tt want to think about it.I can't be alone in this thought.We must all be wondering the same thing,is this the beginning of the end as a football league club?
The dismantling of well known and popular players must have had an affect.I think the club knew this when they started the meet your new heroes campaigne a few weeks back.We lost some decent and popular players and as a result fans lost their attachment to the team.We may have had little option but to let them go,it was a medicene we had to swallow,trouble is,medicine like that needs sugar in it to sweeten it up or it leaves a nasty taste.
The club needs support.We won't be getting it from the people of West Sussex.
The club were hoping the county would take an interest but that was never going to happen,not in a million years.We all know how they feel about our town.
Talking of our town,why have they deserted us.Is it to expensive?Will we always be non league in their eyes and forever irrelevant to their thoughts.
Let's hope this dark mood in my mind clears and JG can show me the light .

#62:  Author: AlunLocation: Pound Hill PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:54 am
    —
Peter wrote:

JG reckons he was down last nightbbut hoped by this morning he'd feel more upbeat.

I for one feel just as fed up as last night. Utter tosh.

#63:  Author: bandy1954 PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:56 am
    —
Very very disappointing. After a great start, was really expecting to take another 3 points tonight Evil or Very Mad

#64:  Author: fnbLocation: Skaville PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:23 am
    —
lee 66 wrote:
It's just gone quarter to 6 and I'm sitting in the van going to work.I'm still in shock from last night's match but not sure if I'm angry about it or just disappointed.
Having just read Armchairs post has brought home a reality that we must all share.Is this the start of the decline and inevitable slide back to non league. I'm begining to realise the thought has always been there,hidden away in the back of my mind suppressed and unchallenged because I didn'tt want to think about it.I can't be alone in this thought.We must all be wondering the same thing,is this the beginning of the end as a football league club?
The dismantling of well known and popular players must have had an affect.I think the club knew this when they started the meet your new heroes campaigne a few weeks back.We lost some decent and popular players and as a result fans lost their attachment to the team.We may have had little option but to let them go,it was a medicene we had to swallow,trouble is,medicine like that needs sugar in it to sweeten it up or it leaves a nasty taste.
The club were hoping the county would take an interest but that was never going to happen,not in a million years.We all know how they feel about our town.
Talking of our town,why have they deserted us.Is it to expensive?Will we always be non league in their eyes and forever irrelevant to their thoughts.

Superb posting Lee. The last few years have been a dream for long-term fans who watched DR Martens foorball for years with-out seeing much in the way of success.
The promotion to the Confrenece and the cup runs then onto League footbal was proper Boys Own stuff.
We all are living the dream but pre-season my brother & I both thought we would struggle after seeing the exit of most of last years team and the standard of the replacements.
Feeling detached from the club? Like you Lee the detachment started when the Fat Fraudster took charge and my feeling of belonging is getting more distant each season.
One big mistake the club made last season was not meeting Bulmans demands for a new contract, him and Torres were the two players the supporters and the kids could relate to.
Meet your new heroes campaign, I'd rather not thanks.
Any-way onwards and upwards, lets hope last night was a blip, but I dont' think it will prove to be so.

#65:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 am
    —
To answer some points in this thread.

We haven't had a great start we have got some results but the team performence has been dreadful even when we have won.

Regarding crowds ..two points reality is people are not daft when the club changes the entire team they look at who is coming in and despite people on here refusing to accept it it's clear we're brining in largely inferior players.

Like it or not football is entertainment people turn up to games expecting to be entertained they come to the fist three home games and will have been shocked. / bored. They speak to friends who have an interest at work / home and say it was rubbish football and so it goes on. I have a mate at work who attends 5 or 6 games a year and I talk football with. Rightly or wrongly he is fully aware the football this year has been terrible to watch.

Crowds will pick up a little come Sept and we will still average over 3000 in the shake up but unless Gregory has an alteratiive football philosophy serving up what we are getting will kill the club.

Even Steve Hollis suggested he was bored at half time and he is paid to sit through the game. It's the worst football I have ever seen.

#66:  Author: guildford roader PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:58 am
    —
Looking forward to seeing how JG responds tactically. His current formation and approach will not work up against opposing league one midfields. He is going to have to have 3 in central midfield, perhaps with Gwion as the floating winger and 2 up front. Alternatively, have Izale up front on his own with a 3 man central midfield and Gwion and Dickson out wide. The young lads are going to have to be versatile as I can't see us getting more players through the door - I thought Bobson performed decently. 44 points or so, to go and 43 games to go. Early days and I think with the turnover we had we expected this - it's just how quickly we learn and adapt

#67:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 am
    —
The match report on our website says that "the hosts matched the visitors for long spells". Can someone remind me when this happened last night as I don't remember it?

I am actually looking forward to Sheffield United away. I studied in Sheffield and used to go to Bramall Lane in the late 1990s and they had a terrible record when I saw them. They won't welcome me back on Saturday then...

#68:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:22 am
    —
lee 66 wrote:

Clubs at our level rely on supporter engagement, and many have partial supporter ownership. Unfortunately at Crawley it would appear the owners have no interest in going down that path, so supporters are simply paying customers on the day.

In fact despite talk of transparency etc when Bruce was around, the main financier is allegedly not a director or shareholder and his identity not known

Unfortunately since the days of the Dulys, then the Majeeds, then the current owners we have lived beyond our means. The cup run bought us some breathing space and cashflow, as did the sale of Tubbs, Barnett etc. However the more recent accounts at companies house are not pretty, hence the reductions in budgets etc.

Sadly football at lower leagues is in a mess, with many clubs living hand to mouth. Hereford is the latest example - just about to be closed down. The top clubs cream off most of the money and the rest live on scraps. No wonder England were out of the World Cup before some teams had even played their second game.

#69:  Author: Crawley001Location: West Sussex PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:23 am
    —
I wonder whether the playing style is to do with the players not knowing each others style yet. We have a number of new players, and they may still be getting used to how each other plays, and what runs they make etc. This may be a reason for poor passes and why they are currently resorting to long balls. Hopefully as they get to know each other better, the standard will improve.

If we'd been offered 6 points from those 3 matches, I think anyone on here would have taken that, so it's been a good start results wise especially given the number of changes (most expected it would be a couple of months before we started gelling).

#70:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 am
    —
lee 66 wrote:

A risk of returning to non-league? It's certainly there but there are many teams who have come out of non-league who have established themselves over a period of time e.g. Accrington, Wycombe, Yeovil and Morecambe. Accrington and Morecambe get smaller crowds than us.

The most likely scenario in future is that we establish ourselves in League 2 IMHO as there are a number of other clubs at that level of a similar size,

#71:  Author: Captain Caveman PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:28 am
    —
Like many, I'm feeling totally disconnected. I never bother with pre-season, so turned up last Tuesday and it was effectively reds v blues. I didn't know any of them except Walsh and former loanee Edwards. It was a rubbish match and then Saturday wasn't a great deal better. Two good results, but hard work watching it, especially without any real bond with the vast majority of the players.

I missed last night as I had work. In previous seasons that would have frustrated me, regardless of the result of the match I was forced to miss. Not last night. After the Ipswich and Swindon matches, I was glad to miss last night and reading the posts it looks like I've missed another dreadful game.

People won't pay good money when it is genuinely so boring.

Sadly, like a few others are suggesting, I agree that this is looking like the beginning of our slide back towards where we came from. The crowds are a joke and I can't see that improving.

Back to last night's match, why didn't Billy Clarke play? He did go to Bradford didn't he? I lost track of all the comings and goings!!

#72:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 am
    —
Clarke is current out injured.

#73:  Author: GillsManLocation: Dorking PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:31 am
    —
Armchairfan wrote:

Your point about the low attendances was valid. What you got slated for was for suggesting that we might as well throw the towel in.

#74:  Author: Phil TLocation: Ifield PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:35 am
    —
Red, Red & Red wrote:
it's a miracle we didn't lose by more goalsy

I like that word.

Crawley001 wrote:
If we'd been offered 6 points from those 3 matches, I think anyone on here would have taken that, so it's been a good start results wise especially given the number of changes (most expected it would be a couple of months before we started gelling).

Let's keep it in perspective. 7th in the league and an average of 2 points per game. And two clean sheets out of three.

It is not a disaster yet, and I'm sure JG isn't sat on his backside doing nothing during the week.

#75:  Author: Paulc222 PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:56 am
    —
lee 66 wrote:

I don't see either a slide back to non-league or relegation as inevitable. They are certainly possibilities but there is time to take corrective action. As you rightly say though, the issue is attendances and as a result, funding. This season was always destined to be a struggle but it must be realised that two of the three games we have played are against likely promotion candidates - and even the other one was against a club still smarting from relegation. Swindon and Bradford will give most teams in this division a difficult time. JG has been around for a while and getting a couple of reasonable loans is well within his ability IMO. Yes we will struggle - but I think four or more other teams will struggle more.
Things can look darker at 6 in the morning though Smile .

#76:  Author: Paulc222 PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:01 am
    —
Also, 2 points per game is 92 points at the end of the season Smile

#77:  Author: reigatered PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 am
    —
After only three league games its perhaps a little too soon to be throwing in any towels, but I fear that warning flags are fluttering in the breeze over the stadium.

It was the manner of the comprehensive defeat that troubled me. Bradford are a good team, but most of them are in this league. They are nearly always big and strong and organised and I just see our midfield being unable to cope with it all given the current formation. We have no real substance there and too many lightweight inexperienced operators who are unlikely to cut it. The bench is very light too. Simpson will be straight back in when he returns, but he is no match winner, just competent.

Still lets remain positive, the team often perform better when playing away so fingers crossed for at least a better performance on Saturday.

#78:  Author: Paulc222 PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:36 am
    —
reigatered wrote:

Still lets remain positive, the team often perform better when playing away so fingers crossed for at least a better performance on Saturday.

I think that's part of the problem. Anything that the team has usually done is voided and irrelevant - because it is a totally different team bar two.

#79:  Author: Jim BakerLocation: Worth actually PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:01 am
    —
I'm on holiday. Add one to a truly disturbing crowd when I'm back..

Anyone who watched the Ipswich and Swindon games and came back for the Bradford game deserves a huge hand (or a trip to the sanatorium).

The little people we have signed are going to be out muscled in League 1.

Jim Baker

#80:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 am
    —
Jim Baker wrote:
I'm on holiday. Add one to a truly disturbing crowd when I'm back..

Anyone who watched the Ipswich and Swindon games and came back for the Bradford game deserves a huge hand (or a trip to the sanatorium).

The little people we have signed are going to be out muscled in League 1.

Jim Baker

Which is why playing direct football is not useful for us!

#81:  Author: trev PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 am
    —
Last night I sat there and became very bored with just big clearances from the back with no one getting on the end of them, I can’t remember us winning one long clearance header. People on here talk about the mid field what I ask did we have anyone playing mid field as they all seemed to be running around like headless chicken.

Still I suppose if you shop for players in the bargain basement this is the quality you get. Having bought a season ticket I wonder if I can keep attending if the entertainment value is like last night’s performance. I don’t expect them to win every game but I do expect them to compete and thereby give the supporters some entertainment.

#82:  Author: mickfLocation: Southgate PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 am
    —
Captain Caveman wrote:
Like many, I'm feeling totally disconnected. I never bother with pre-season, so turned up last Tuesday and it was effectively reds v blues. I didn't know any of them except Walsh and former loanee Edwards. It was a rubbish match and then Saturday wasn't a great deal better. Two good results, but hard work watching it, especially without any real bond with the vast majority of the players.

I missed last night as I had work. In previous seasons that would have frustrated me, regardless of the result of the match I was forced to miss. Not last night. After the Ipswich and Swindon matches, I was glad to miss last night and reading the posts it looks like I've missed another dreadful game.

People won't pay good money when it is genuinely so boring.

Sadly, like a few others are suggesting, I agree that this is looking like the beginning of our slide back towards where we came from. The crowds are a joke and I can't see that improving.

Back to last night's match, why didn't Billy Clarke play? He did go to Bradford didn't he? I lost track of all the comings and goings!!

Can agree about Saturday and Tuesday as very poor but last Tuesday by consensus from some extremely critical people I spoke to was that it was a really exciting game and we worked our socks off to get a result even if it wasnt pretty at times? And judging from the crowd participation they thought so as well (definitely more "participation" in the East Stand than in previous seasons, ever for fist hour last night).
I know it is an old chestnut from me but I watched the second half of Burnley v Chelsea and as an indication that even the top level can be tedious that was one - paint dry stuff. And yes I know Chelsea were good first half but many top level games are (expensive) boring stuff so it cannot just be that?
TV football is a killer for lower level, it just promotes the glamour at the top which we can never hope to match with our live experience at the lower levels without the huge sums higher up.
Also we go on about "the club" do not do enough, but it is also our club (and do we help by using REDZ bar with all its faults rather than the Half Moon or Downsman as a small example).
I personally hate the term "fan engagement" as promoted by R Low but however cheesy some of it was, they did try, and alot of it wasnt costly whereas we are very much paring down to the bare minimum now, although there are the CEO surgeries to air your gripes?
Another minor annoyance which has often been an issue is the fixture board outside on a very busy road, all day Sunday it was displaying the next match as Swindon, when we have another game only 2 days away!
Not sure where I am going with this, just trying to talk through the depression of last night as an overall experience.
Sad

#83:  Author: Alex BH PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 am
    —
Honestly, if you removed references to early season in this forum it'd look like we were in April and about to be relegated.

We're 3 games into the league season. 2 wins out of 3 isn't bad.

The performance was poor last night, but I thought we matched them in the first half and responded well when 1-0 down. It was only when we were 2-1 down we started to fall apart.

It's early days yet.

#84:  Author: Born in Crawley Hospital PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 am
    —
Last night wasn’t good but let’s get some perspective. The last two games we played two of the teams that will be up there come the end of the season and got three points. I would have taken that. And then not to mention a good away win on the opening day.

It’s all very well people saying we should replace what we’ve got or shouldn’t have let certain players go but the reality is that we’ve recruited what we’ve got because we have no money. This is it. We are Crawley Town and we are playing in the third tier. We have a non-league set up but we’re competing. I’m not being an apologist in that we should expect more but we should be proud of what we do have. Gregory is working with on a shoestring budget and if we stay up it will be a brilliant achievement.

I think our defence will keep us up though. In spite of conceding three goals yesterday as a unit it did really well but was offered no protection from midfield. We desperately need more in the middle and need Simpson back. Smith spends most of his time shouting at others without concentrating on his own game and Tomlin just looks lost.

I thought the best outlets yesterday were Edwards, Dickson and Oyabanjo. At least Gregory has admitted his mistakes but taking off Edwards was a very strange one as was pushing back Dickson to full back after he was getting a lot of good balls over.

There’s a lot of work to do, but don’t panic just yet. We’ve had a very tough run of fixtures and this is ongoing so if we can get anything from the next two games it will be a result then we can push on. And we’re seventh.

Jenson - 7 - No chance with any of the goals and a solid as ever

Oyebanjo - 8 - Easy to see why he was League Two’s best right back. Very strong and quick

Bradley - 6 - Solid without being spectacular

Walsh - 7 - Did as well as he could without any protection

Leacock - 7 - He was run ragged but again did his best in the situation

Smith - 5 - Not sure what his role is. Not an enforcer, offers little going forward

Bawling - 6 - Can’t fault his enthusiasm but very little quality

Dickson - 7 - He was really troubling their right side until he was put back to full back

Edwards - 7 - Very strange that he came off as he was doing ok

Tomlin - 5 - Lost at League One level and panics

McLeod - 6 - Good work rate but never had an opportunity due to zero service

Henderson - 5 - His impact was virtually zero

Banya - 4 - Hardley got a touch. Looks lightweight

#85:  Author: mickfLocation: Southgate PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:57 am
    —
Alex BH wrote:
Honestly, if you removed references to early season in this forum it'd look like we were in April and about to be relegated.

We're 3 games into the league season. 2 wins out of 3 isn't bad.

The performance was poor last night, but I thought we matched them in the first half and responded well when 1-0 down. It was only when we were 2-1 down we started to fall apart.

It's early days yet.

Agreed it is early and panic can be postponed but the manner of the last two performances is the worry with an alarming reliance on long ball to Izale McCleod who is not happy with that "service"(he didnt win one single header last night from at least 50 lump ups), and now JG is saying we were suffering the effects of three hard games, as if we are the only ones who have played them! I thought he was telling us last week how fit we were? Maybe the Bournemouth (and Matt Tubbs) comments regarding our new 1st team coach are coming to fruition?
We competed in the first half but largely in who could kick the long ball the furthest, they seemed to come out second half with a determination to play more football on the ground, we took off the one who was taking them on in the first half. And over two games our shots ratio compared with the opposition is a good indicator of relative attacking intent? And we still have nobody willing or able to shoot from outside the box (not yet anyway).

#86:  Author: ant PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:16 pm
    —
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:

Smith - 5 - Not sure what his role is. Not an enforcer, offers little going forward

Can't disagree with most of your rating BICH but I think you've given Smith at least four marks too many Very Happy

People keep harking back to last season and the players we had then - well let me remind people that at times last season we were worse than ordinary - under both Gregory and Barker.

We offered contracts to four players at the end of the season.

Proctor was replaced by McLeod. Early days but I think we might have got a better deal

Sadler was replaced by Dickson/Bradley. I think we might have slightly weakened our defence but have been pleasently surprised by both

Jones was replaced by Edwards? Well we might be ok there

Bulman was replaced by Smith. No contest. Stevenage's best player last season. Well no wonder they were *beep* given by what we've seen in competitive games and PSFs. Whatever we are paying him is five times too much

Other players - Kyle replaced by Leacock. Quite happy with that

Larne replaces Connolly - happy with that

Drury replaced by ???????

So that's where our problem lies. We've not replaced Bully or Drury with anything like the same quality but the rest is either better or at least the same

#87:  Author: notsoLocation: Worth PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:19 pm
    —
Crawley001 wrote:
I wonder whether the playing style is to do with the players not knowing each others style yet.

The best example was during the 2nd half when a lovely through ball was slotted between the defenders for our two forward players to run on to. Unfortunately they both left it to each other and we all watched the ball run out for a goal kick.

I seem to recall this happened twice in a similar fashion (one may have gone for a throw-in, I can't remember as I was comatose by then.)

#88:  Author: Crawley69 PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:24 pm
    —
Disagree with that assesment

Leacock has been ok - but no KM
Henderson - not great and couldnt lace Drurry boots
Smith - poor
Mcleod - OK but Proctor was a better all round player
Dickinson - has been reasonable playing out of position
Edwards - has done ok but not in Adams or even Jones league.
Bradley - done ok out of position

Tomlin - very poor
Young - worse than poor
Balding - works hard to his credit but not a lot of technique
Oconnor - same as Balding

Harold - 2 months wages and not a single game - similar to hsi time at Rovers

Jensen - our best signing

Last edited by Crawley69 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

#89:  Author: AndrewLocation: Pound Hill PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:49 pm
    —
Crawley69 wrote:
Henderson - 2 months wages and not a single game - similar to hsi time at Rovers

Do you mean Matt Harold ?

#90:  Author: Peter PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:55 pm
    —
Andrew wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:
Henderson - 2 months wages and not a single game - similar to hsi time at Rovers

Don't confuse him Andrew, he still thinks we have a Dickinson playing for us. Shocked

#91:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:48 pm
    —
The problem is in MF. Last season we largely used a combination of Jones, Simpson, Drury, Adams, Bulman and Edwards across the middle. Sorry to say I don't think any of Henderson, Smith, Dickson, Bawling would have got in that team. Then again I would think that added together they are probably not earning what Drury or Adams was.

To be fair I think Dickson would be fine at LB but he isn't a midfielder.

Up front I don't think are any were worse off (Proctor had only scored 2 by the end of December) and at the back I think we are about the same.

#92:  Author: Paulc222 PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:22 pm
    —
Peter wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:

Don't confuse him Andrew, he still thinks we have a Dickinson playing for us. Shocked

Apparently we've got Claire Balding too.

#93:  Author: hughe_tj PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:53 pm
    —
Going back to the drop in crowds compared to last season, I'm not convinced they have fallen as much as the figures say. I'm sure that last nights crowd was no smaller than some of the midweek fixtures towards the end of last season. There were certainly more than 300 Bradford fans there last night. As has previously been mentioned ( I think by Ian) last seasons gates were announced courtesy of some creative maths, quite possibly including season ticket holders not in attendance. Either way you look at it, the hard core is now hovering round the 2000 mark, with no signs of it changing. This has been pretty much the same since league football was played at the Broadfield. Difficult to see how this will be improved. Gates in the conference were artificially increased by freebies given out so to compare them with this season season is unfair. The Crawley public will turn out to see a winning team, whether it be in league 1 (unlikely) or Conference South. It's just the sorry fickle nature of our fan base .

#94:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:26 pm
    —
My last game at Broadfield was against Southport,just after the Manu game.
The crowd was about 3900,which included about 25 hardy souls from up north.
I was watching a you tube vid of our game against Dover in 2004,Southern League.The Bruce Winfield was considerably more populated for that game than either Swindon or Bradford.I struggle to get my head round that.

#95:  Author: dazLocation: horley PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:41 pm
    —
Yesterdays result was bad but not unexpected, said to my brother before the game that we going to get a hammering very soon, we got beat but expect that hammering soon im affraid.
As for attendance, poor but that was our 3rd home game in a week, to attend all three games would cost nearlly £50 as a non season ticket holder and in peak holiday season, where people are either away or saving for spending money or covering peoplles holiday that could be expected, infact out of the 10 or so people I regulary stand with , I was the only one who did all three.....it would be interesting if someone with a maths brain could work out an average home attendance if it was based on a person attending 2 out of the three games, not sure if that is possible to do.
Also wondering whats happened to the fixtures list posters the used to get posted over town, used to be everywhere ..chip shops , pubs , newsagents...went down white heart on saturday as usual before the game and got the constant what tops that and who are you playing today, a localpub full of football fans and people totally unaware of a league 1 game 5 minuites down the road..a few posters cant cost that much surely and not very hard to distribute.

#96:  Author: thad PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:52 pm
    —
darren elliott wrote:
..a few posters cant cost that much surely and not very hard to distribute.

Excellent point Darren... nothing wrong with old-skool "next home match" posters in Chip Shops, Pubs, Barber Shops etc... if only to increase brand-awareness locally.

#97:  Author: IanLocation: The Parish of Rusper PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:35 pm
    —
Peter wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:

Compared to the first two home games last season we are about 500 home supporters down per game.

About the number of free season tickets dished out last year... Magnify

#98:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 pm
    —
thad wrote:
darren elliott wrote:

Excellent point Darren... nothing wrong with old-skool "next home match" posters in Chip Shops, Pubs, Barber Shops etc... if only to increase brand-awareness locally.

Spot on Darren.This is the point I was trying to make,regarding the usual "Reds" pullout in the local paper,normally dished out a week or two ago.
At one time the club was quite proactive in its attempts to advertise with the local public,but not any more it would seem.

#99:  Author: Mr.T.Location: The mud bank. PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:04 am
    —
Armchairfan wrote:
thad wrote:
darren elliott wrote:

Spot on Darren.This is the point I was trying to make,regarding the usual "Reds" pullout in the local paper,normally dished out a week or two ago.
At one time the club was quite proactive in its attempts to advertise with the local public,but not any more it would seem.

I was also thinking about this,if you walk round our town ther is hardly any
indication at all that there is a league 1 team resident in the town.
The posters you talk of used to be in alot of windows around the parades/town centre,I wondered whether the shopkeepers dont want them
up any more or the club cant be bothered but it a very cheap and easy way to let the locals know what is happening at thier club.
Sort it out!

#100:  Author: Simon PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:47 am
    —
Mr.T. wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
thad wrote:
darren elliott wrote:

The posters you talk of used to be in alot of windows around the parades/town centre,I wondered whether the shopkeepers dont want them
up any more or the club cant be bothered but it a very cheap and easy way to let the locals know what is happening at thier club.
Sort it out!

Are you offering to help?

Just that the club made a lot of off-field people redundant last season and are now heavily dependent on match day staff. I doubt there is much resource available to do it. Not an excuse but that's how it is.

#101:  Author: ArmchairfanLocation: DFS PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:50 am
    —
Simon wrote:
Mr.T. wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
thad wrote:
darren elliott wrote:

Sort it out!

Are you offering to help?

Just that the club made a lot of off-field people redundant last season and are now heavily dependent on match day staff. I doubt there is much resource available to do it. Not an excuse but that's how it is.

I did offer to help with the leaflet distribution last year as it goes.
I was all set to post through just about half of Tilgate,but then the plug was pulled on me doing it as I am banned.

#102:  Author: Edinburgh BantamLocation: Edinburgh PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:39 am
    —
Why not appoint your bell ringer as the Crawley Town Crier? He could "Oyez" and announce forthcoming fixtures around town. Perhaps you would be spared the bell at your stadium if he'd got it out of system?

No wonder your 2 players ran in different directions they heard the bell and thought school was out.

Best of luck for the rest of the season-excluding 3rd March.

#103:  Author: dazLocation: horley PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:19 am
    —
Yes I would offer to help if need be, im sure others would too, I would also be willing to contribute to the cost, but wouldnt be able to organise myself as cr_p at that kind of thing.

#104:  Author: NorthgateRedLocation: BW Stand PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am
    —
How difficult/expensive can it be to get a few fixture posters printed and distributed around town? Shopping parades, pubs, the library......someone at the club could take an hour or two out, jump in Reggie's car and get that done. Those giant red cards with the team photo on the other side.....at the end of the Swindon game they were left for anyone to take one. Maybe the club should have kept a few dozen aside and given one to all the local schools? A little bit of community engagement led by the club? Just a thought.
As far as self promotion goes, CTFC are patently hopeless. We are not going to attract many new fans if the club show no interest in trying the basics. Which they don't.

#105:  Author: bridgesboy79 PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:41 pm
    —
ant wrote:
Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:

Can't disagree with most of your rating BICH but I think you've given Smith at least four marks too many Very Happy

People keep harking back to last season and the players we had then - well let me remind people that at times last season we were worse than ordinary - under both Gregory and Barker.

We offered contracts to four players at the end of the season.

Proctor was replaced by McLeod. Early days but I think we might have got a better deal

Sadler was replaced by Dickson/Bradley. I think we might have slightly weakened our defence but have been pleasently surprised by both

Jones was replaced by Edwards? Well we might be ok there

Bulman was replaced by Smith. No contest. Stevenage's best player last season. Well no wonder they were *beep* given by what we've seen in competitive games and PSFs. Whatever we are paying him is five times too much

Other players - Kyle replaced by Leacock. Quite happy with that

Larne replaces Connolly - happy with that

Drury replaced by ???????

So that's where our problem lies. We've not replaced Bully or Drury with anything like the same quality but the rest is either better or at least the same

Luke Freeman is the player from Stevenage we should have signed!

#106:  Author: jules59Location: crawley PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:21 pm
    —
NorthgateRed wrote:
How difficult/expensive can it be to get a few fixture posters printed and distributed around town? Shopping parades, pubs, the library......someone at the club could take an hour or two out, jump in Reggie's car and get that done. Those giant red cards with the team photo on the other side.....at the end of the Swindon game they were left for anyone to take one. Maybe the club should have kept a few dozen aside and given one to all the local schools? A little bit of community engagement led by the club? Just a thought.
As far as self promotion goes, CTFC are patently hopeless. We are not going to attract many new fans if the club show no interest in trying the basics. Which they don't.
Agree with every word

CTFC.net Fans Forum -> -> Talk football

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1