CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Football Welcomes (Refugees)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hickmott Senior
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offer them free Crawley tickets at Calais and Dunkirk - and insist that they come - and it will stop many in their attempts to breach our border
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedarkhorse wrote:
Hickmott Senior wrote:
I can see some marketing logic in trying to lure refugees into a football club's fold as they will presumably be looking to put down roots and have little established allegiance to a club already. In many ways they are an ideal target demographic

However, beyond this, I see no reason why refugees should be 'rewarded' with free tickets simply and purely because they are of this group; it makes no sense to me whatsoever[/i]

It's not about rewarding - it's a way of integrating communities, breaking down barriers and putting a human face on it

I don't think this project and giving free tickets to other groups are mutually exclusive.

One of the complaints I've heard over the years is that "they" don't integrate. Football (or whatever we are currently playing) could be a way of assisting with that process. IMO of course.
thedarkhorse
First Team
First Team

Topics: 19

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
thedarkhorse wrote:
Hickmott Senior wrote:
I can see some marketing logic in trying to lure refugees into a football club's fold as they will presumably be looking to put down roots and have little established allegiance to a club already. In many ways they are an ideal target demographic

However, beyond this, I see no reason why refugees should be 'rewarded' with free tickets simply and purely because they are of this group; it makes no sense to me whatsoever[/i]

It's not about rewarding - it's a way of integrating communities, breaking down barriers and putting a human face on it

I don't think this project and giving free tickets to other groups are mutually exclusive.

One of the complaints I've heard over the years is that "they" don't integrate. Football (or whatever we are currently playing) could be a way of assisting with that process. IMO of course.

Which is one of the aims of the campaign
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irony of the entire lively debate that he has initiated, is that I have observed The Darkhorse's regular personna on the many matchday threads... which can definitely be summed up as...

"Don't let 'em in" Very Happy
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Paulc222 wrote:
The OP wasn't about economic migrants - it was about refugees.

They ceased to be refugees when they landed in the first safe place Paul. And that isn't here.

Paulc222 wrote:
It might also be a good thing if those on whatever unemployment benefit is called these days could have a similar concession.

Or it might not. They already get enough encouragement to stay in bed till midday without another perk for being lazy.

Ian, I could have a lively, polite debate on both points you raise, but it's pretty clear it would be pointless as we are coming from very different places. So, I will log my disagreement with you and leave in the 'agree to disagree' category Smile .
Mr.T.
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of the club giving them free tickets why don't the supporters of the idea on here offer to buy the tickets for them Just an idea,you could gauge their commitment to the cause by the uptake of such a scheme.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.T. wrote:
Instead of the club giving them free tickets why don't the supporters of the idea on here offer to buy the tickets for them Just an idea,you could gauge their commitment to the cause by the uptake of such a scheme.

Laughing Laughing

I suspect that we'll have a grand demonstration of how easy it is to participate in virtue signalling when it comes at no personal expense to oneself Laughing Laughing
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
I suspect that we'll have a grand demonstration of how easy it is to participate in virtue signalling when it comes at no personal expense to oneself Laughing Laughing

What you refer to as virtue signalling, I previously stated was a simple gesture of humanity... and got roundly pilloried for my trouble... glad that we can all now finally agree that it is actually just a low-impact gesture...!

It was also that simplicity and apolitical aspect that I liked about it... and I cannot understand why those who have issues with it, seem so determined to emphasise the politics even to the degree of forcing others to make a personal financial commitment to prove their support for the cause... seems a bit party-youth comrade to me... whatever happened to tolerance..?

dontknow

For the record: I have on occasions paid match-day entry for fellow human beings who - for whatever reasons - have difficulties doing so themselves and invariably chuck some pence into any bucket being passed around.. but I deeply resent being told that I am obliged to do it..!
thedarkhorse
First Team
First Team

Topics: 19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Irony of the entire lively debate that he has initiated, is that I have observed The Darkhorse's regular personna on the many matchday threads... which can definitely be summed up as...

"Don't let 'em in" Very Happy

I've been rumbled!

Mr T. wrote:

That's a nice idea. If the games were otherwise sell outs and the club would be losing money in offering free tickets, I'd agree. As it is, we're not turning any fans away (apart from those trying to pay at the turnstile)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: