CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Wombles losing Kingston popularity contest
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

collateral damage in a modern football parable? - "Kingstonian bade an emotional farewell to their ground on Saturday. Could the club, Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon have done more to prevent them moving?"

Quote:
It did not stop stickers comparing Wimbledon with their own nemesis, MK Dons, appearing in various locations around the stadium by full-time. Chelsea, who will use Kingsmeadow for academy and women’s fixtures, have avoided much attention by comparison even though their involvement says more about the realities of modern football than any other aspect of the tale.

The article also mentions that Kingstonian have long-term plans for a ground at Chessington.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
collateral damage in a modern football parable? - "Kingstonian bade an emotional farewell to their ground on Saturday. Could the club, Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon have done more to prevent them moving?"

Quote:
It did not stop stickers comparing Wimbledon with their own nemesis, MK Dons, appearing in various locations around the stadium by full-time. Chelsea, who will use Kingsmeadow for academy and women’s fixtures, have avoided much attention by comparison even though their involvement says more about the realities of modern football than any other aspect of the tale.

The article also mentions that Kingstonian have long-term plans for a ground at Chessington.
inbetween the meercats and rhinos or is it the rollercoaster and swing park Laughing
lochislair
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 129

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:

Quote:

They have- I'm saving much of my research for a book- but the Chessington idea is far from a done deal. Many K's supporters doubt it will ever happen.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lochislair wrote:
Ian wrote:
lochislair wrote:
Ian wrote:
lochislair wrote:
I was surprised they didn't approach Corinthian Casuals. Or perhaps they did and were refused- depends which story you believe.

Or Hampton & Richmond! That's probably even closer.

I'm not sure the Beavers (sorry, that's their name, don't laugh at the messenger) would have wanted to entertain that, given they still have hopes of being in the National League next year as the two teams above them are both likely to be ruled out of the playoffs due to ground grading issues.

Is the precedent for that not a bye to the final for the 2nd placed team?

Not as I understand it. All the talk in the media is about the fact that H&RB could qualify by finishing seventh.

Fair enough.

In 2005/6 Lewes finished in a play off spot (4th), but were denied due to their ground grading and the 2nd placed side (St Albans) were given a bye.

Maybe they've changed the rules since.
lochislair
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 129

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
lochislair wrote:
Ian wrote:
lochislair wrote:
Ian wrote:
lochislair wrote:
I was surprised they didn't approach Corinthian Casuals. Or perhaps they did and were refused- depends which story you believe.

Or Hampton & Richmond! That's probably even closer.

I'm not sure the Beavers (sorry, that's their name, don't laugh at the messenger) would have wanted to entertain that, given they still have hopes of being in the National League next year as the two teams above them are both likely to be ruled out of the playoffs due to ground grading issues.

Is the precedent for that not a bye to the final for the 2nd placed team?

Not as I understand it. All the talk in the media is about the fact that H&RB could qualify by finishing seventh.

Fair enough.

In 2005/6 Lewes finished in a play off spot (4th), but were denied due to their ground grading and the 2nd placed side (St Albans) were given a bye.

Maybe they've changed the rules since.

They did announce- yesterday- that nobody lower than seventh would be considered, and that if the seventh place side didn't meet the criteria the second place side would get a bye to the final. So, basically, unless Hampton finish lower than seventh, they are in, as Wealdstone have also been ruled out for completing their ground improvement works two weeks late (yet before the season ends). Who remembers football being decided by two teams with a ball?
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lochislair wrote:
Wealdstone have also been ruled out for completing their ground improvement works two weeks late (yet before the season ends). Who remembers football being decided by two teams with a ball?

Rules are rules with this lot.

Read about VCD in part 9 of this https://theballisround.co.uk/tag/ground-grading/ particularly

Quote:
The club were given until mid June to sort this and they were on track to complete this work when all of a sudden in May the Isthmian League said “sorry but you have been relegated”.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

Topics: 59

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, walkways.

I have a friend (honest) who was involved with Wivenhoe Town near Colchester. They are right on top of Essex University and one year the university upgraded their running track. They were left with an amount of tartan running track that they kindly donated to their local football club. The club installed this as a walkway around the ground. Now to you and me a tartan walkway (it's the red running track stuff) around the ground would completely satisfy the requirements of a ground grading that stated you must be able to walk completely around the pitch. Not so the ground graders. The track had to be removed and a concrete one installed to replace it as the regulations stated it had to be concrete.

Pedants of the world unite!

The flip side is that Crawley were once saved from relegation by some application of these type of arcane rules.

Jim Baker
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, Red & Red wrote:
thad wrote:
inbetween the meercats and rhinos or is it the rollercoaster and swing park Laughing

I'm sure that there will be some hippo critter involved in this world of adventure..
Quote:
Kingstonian hope slow-moving plans to build their own ground on the former Chessington Golf Centre, still in the borough of Kingston albeit on the fringes, can now gain some speed.

Anything that helps Surrey solve its surplus golf course issue, meets with my approval.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: