CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Plymouth Argyle matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A game that sums up our season to be honest.

We played well in the first half - scored an excellent goal (down to Young to all those who want to forget when he does good things in a game) Plymouth were the team huffing and puffing but they didn't get a meaningful effort on goal.

Four marginal refereeing decisions went their way - the pen - both Collins bookings (I suspect had the first been down the other end it really would have been just a word) and their winner looked offside too.

Other than that one of the best teams in the league were being well contained by us.

Yet somehow we lose

I'll add money to Peter's bet - we won't go down. And the progress this season has been a bit one step forward and two steps back at times. It's better to watch in the main but I really do feel DD needs to move away from academy football and realise that when you are in a competitive league it's results driven - the trouble is that type of pragmatism led to the boring football employed by Yates and Barker where the harsh reality was they knew how to grind out the points to stay up with players of limited ability - I genuinely think DD is of the opinion he's coaching players who are better than they actually are. But there's little doubt he's improved players -

And that is nowhere better illustrated in the last two home games than Andre Blackman - he almost looked a footballer against Orient and again today was assured and committed without being silly in the tackle
royboy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felt we were unlucky to lose today but why wasn't Collins subbed after picking up a yellow card when we've got Murphy and Harrold on the bench.
I've never been a fan of Blackman but I thought he played well today and was my MOM
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royboy wrote:
Felt we were unlucky to lose today but why wasn't Collins subbed after picking up a yellow card when we've got Murphy and Harrold on the bench.

And then people would have been queuing up to slate Drummy for taking off own main threat. Shocked

Dermot can't win either way.
Alan (Cheltenham Branch)
First Team
First Team

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
royboy wrote:

And then people would have been queuing up to slate Drummy for taking off own main threat. Shocked

Exactly Peter. It's not the first time that Collins has been booked this season yet I don't remember anyone asking for him to be subbed before. I can just imagine certain posters on here foaming at the mouth if he had been. McNerney was also booked - should he have been subbed straight away as well?
SuperRedDevils
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre Blackman had a great game, one of our better players, I've not seem him so assured as a left back. Completely different player from the shocker I'll not forget he had at Orient.
Sussex Boy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unfair result. Crawley did well and kept battling.

But anyone who's been watching football for over 10 years knows that when your at the bottom you don't get the luck and when your at the top you get it.

People in the west stand.....what a bunch of old moaners. Never heard so much abuse without a swear word being said......ha ha
Hickmott Senior
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that Josh Payne is a professional footballer, no doubt, even at CTFC earning more than the national average wage

For that incompetence displayed earlier he should be engaged in a disciplinary process

It was so crass it's verging on being worthy of - whatever contract he might have - being terminated
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan (Cheltenham Branch) wrote:
Peter wrote:
royboy wrote:

Exactly Peter. It's not the first time that Collins has been booked this season yet I don't remember anyone asking for him to be subbed before. I can just imagine certain posters on here foaming at the mouth if he had been. McNerney was also booked - should he have been subbed straight away as well?

If Yorwerth was subbed every time he was booked he would hardly play.

Actually that's not a bad idea really.
allanp
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 43

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to Payne Crawley were playing their 9-0-0 formation at the time. We may have had two strikers on the pitch but they were both on the edge of our own penalty area along with the rest of the team.
PEETEE
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissappointing result in the end but not unexpected. I thought Clifford and Blackman had their best games for us, Clifford in particular shone, I had a chuckle after one instance where he was jinking around showing his skills and eventually found Smith who immediatly passed backwards to the goalie showing what a different skill set he has. We know Young is fairly limited at heading and defending so Payne did him no favours with that back pass to his left foot, and you could see he was choked after his mistake led to the goal, As for the Red card I saw Collins lead with his elbow so fair enough but he had been fouled all game with no protection from a ref who seemed to favour the away side. Still I enjoyed it all and at least they all seemed to try a lot harder this week As for the substitution they made no sense whatsoever tactically and contributed to our defeat so not good Mr Drummy
X Isle
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.T. wrote:
10 v 12 no chance,bigger teams get all the decisions,playing to the crowd.What a clown that ref was.

You are kiddin' me? Shocked

The ref should've sent off McNerney about three times over for the elbow leading blows to Ryan Taylor's head before half time.

You got VERY lucky with his interpretation of the assault laws today, that Collins was the only one to walk was a minor miracle for you.

But hey, Carey gets a booking for being annoyed with himself scratch
X Isle
Reserve team
Reserve team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Army wrote:
Quite surprised by our home gate today, 1900 fans? We giving away hundreds of free tickets again or something?

Erm, I think I can explain that one.

Our allocation was initially sold as 'one ticket per membership'. Fine while terrace tickets were on sale but once the terracing sold out seating was the only option. Non membership fans wanting to hook up with their mates would've probably gone incognito and gravitated to the home sections.
Alan (Cheltenham Branch)
First Team
First Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X Isle wrote:
The ref should've sent off McNerney about three times over for the elbow leading blows to Ryan Taylor's head before half time.

No different to what your huge lump of a substitute was doing when he came on. Lots of elbows there too so let's not pretend it was all one way.

And what about the wild lunge on Smithy early in the game that wasn't deemed worthy of a free kick?

X Isle wrote:

But hey, Carey gets a booking for being annoyed with himself scratch

If you've seen Toner before like we have in the cup replay at Bristol Rovers you'll know that is his style. Let all sorts of stuff go then suddenly pick up on something trivial that he sees as a challenge to his 'authority'.
Alan (Cheltenham Branch)
First Team
First Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allanp wrote:
To be fair to Payne Crawley were playing their 9-0-0 formation at the time. We may have had two strikers on the pitch but they were both on the edge of our own penalty area along with the rest of the team.

That's true enough but if Payne had humped the ball towards the far corner flag and made them take a throw it would have used up 30 seconds of the last minute and given us a chance to get into shape. Playing a back pass to Young's left foot on a dry bobbly pitch when he already had a player on him was asking for trouble. It might not be the pure beautiful football that DD would like to play but there are times when the Row Z option is the only practical one.
X Isle
Reserve team
Reserve team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A perspective from the away end...

We were dreadful, especially in the first hour.

I mentioned on the predictions thread Adams' inflexible tactics and how crucial the first goal was. Initially when you came out and tried to attack us I thought we'd pick you off easily, that's how we're set up to play. After a bright first 5-10 minutes however we started to look oddly panicked and clueless, when you then scored I thought that would be it. The fact there was no immediate reaction from us and the ref was clearly quite prepared to allow your assaults to go unpunished I thought it was going to be one of those bad days at the office.

Bizarrely somehow we managed to buck the trend and come back to win. Argyle fans have been screaming for Adams to start matches with a more attacking line up and mentality all season, it's easy to drop back to a defensive set-up/attitude from an attacking one if you need to but much more difficult to change the other way. Yesterday however he (just about) managed it, bringing on a second striker and mixing/matching wide options with Carey during the game occupying both wings and the centre.

At half time the consensus was we would bite your hands off for a draw and when the penalty went in (couldn't see much from our end but it looks fair on TV) we were mightily relieved.

It kinda woke us up a bit and from then on in we looked more like a team with a promotion to play for. Hardly Barcelona but a distinct upping of the tempo towards your goal. The goal when it came was very well taken, a tidy bit of fending off then a smart finish.

Deserved? No. Over the piece we were dreadful.

Happy? Hell yeah Very Happy Those two extra points mean we've probably done enough now which explains the crowd reaction at the end.

From your side of things it's hard to say if our dreadful performance was caused by a bad day at the office for us or anything you did. Your goal aside I don't recall a whole heap of chances or pressure, you looked quite tidy passing it about around the box but with little end product to worry us. My abiding memory will be the elbows of McNerney and Collins and quite how on earth they weren't picked up on straight away.

Good luck for the remainder thumbleft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: