CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Newport County matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John The Gas wrote:
Obviously you wasn't at the game yesterday - if you had been, you would have seen a wholehearted "never say die" approach from Josh.

Until his unjustified sending off, he was on course to take the Reds MOM !!

What preceded the sending off Gasman, I've only seen the TV highlights and they shed no light whatsoever on what the pair had been up to immediately beforehand..?
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see both sides of the debate here. Our form against bottom sides is diabolical - losses at Orient and Newport and wasting time against Orient at home even when 3 up at half time.

However let's be honest, the club has been in decay for many years, I would say even since the Mr Honesty saga. Budgets have been cut and we have been fighting a rearguard action.

This season was always going to be about stabilising the ship, and I think the club have done the job. Next season we need to build on it, and maybe a promotion push in a couple of years time.
John The Gas
Coach
Coach

Topics: 85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
John The Gas wrote:
Obviously you wasn't at the game yesterday - if you had been, you would have seen a wholehearted "never say die" approach from Josh.

Until his unjustified sending off, he was on course to take the Reds MOM !!

What preceded the sending off Gasman, I've only seen the TV highlights and they shed no light whatsoever on what the pair had been up to immediately beforehand..?

The travelling support were situated in a corner at the other end
of the pitch. I didn't spot any altercation as players jostled position prior a corner kick.

The strange thing was the Linesman flagged and summoned the Ref.
After what seemed to be age, he sent their centre back off followed by Josh, who appeared to be bad mouthing the Ref (and deservedly so).

The funny thing was, there was no shouts of appeal from either side until the Lino intervened !!

The thoughts amongst our lot was "what's he been sent off for?"

JTG
Bianchiboy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
Bianchiboy wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
Bianchiboy wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
Pathetic result.

Sums it up for me.

The thing is Bianchi, and it's not often I go off on my high horse, but this is more than just a *beep* result.
This result reaches far wider than just three points dropped.

The club wants to engage with fans more readily.The fans want to feel closer to the club.

Some bridges have been crossed, but oh too often the team doesn't show up, and slowly but surely other bridges are burned.
I struggle to see how I'm supposed to take this group of players seriously when they have always got this performance, this result in them.
No consistency at all.Not even a glimmer of hope for next season if this bunch continues to steal a wage and portray themselves as honest, hard working pros.

I can accept defeat, I can even accept poor performances, but I won't accept the club wanting the likes of me and you to attend, bring our friends and work colleagues etc and be a part of something that clearly has no end product.
This pathetic result speaks volumes about the mentality of this crop of players.

Sort yourself out CTFC,and quick, before we all find something better to do with our time.

I agree with every word pal, could not have said it better myself.
I have to be honest and admit my last game was against Crewe, and I left that so disillusioned I'm really not sure if I am coming back again this season, and it really pains me to admit that.

If we start doing well next season, you'll be back.

And it's that kind of pathetic attitude from certain sections of our support that is more galling than a poor result. A club can't go forward with fairweather supporters. Quick to castigate when it's not going well, quick to jump on that band wagon when it starts going Old Traffordy. Look at the example of the Pompey supporters - that's proper.

Renew that Sky subscription, mate.

Well I had a feeling it would be my turn for some classic BICH assumptions and accusations about someone he has never met with my last post.
It was tough for me to make that admission public, but that's how disillusioned I feel about the football I have been watching this season.
FYI BICH I have been a regular supporter of this club since the Dr Martin days and beyond. If you could expand the photo at the top of this forum you would see my flag attached to the fence behind the goal at Welling when we finally got promoted into the conference.
Please do not have the audacity to question my integrity as a supporter of this club when you know nothing about me other than a painful admission of losing faith in the football I have had to endure over the last few seasons.
You are right, I will be back, because I love this club, always will, whether it is this season or next, who knows?
To label me as 'pathetic', 'fair weather' and 'Old Traffordy' is bang out of order.
As for my Sky subscription, cancelled it years ago.....mate.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it's blindingly logical. The farther up the football pyramid you go, the greater the struggles become. When we first entered the league, we had silly money coming in from a semi-anonymous benefactor plus we had cash from a certain match in Manchester. That had a decent knock-on effect for several years. Once the money was spent (a large chunk of it going on the gazebo), it was always going to be more difficult unless we found ways of increasing income.
We are a below-average league two club with below-average league two attendances. Unless the club can pull off some great advertising/marketing deals and/or attendances increase dramatically, we won't get past where we are now (barring some exceptional season where we defy all odds).
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
We are a below-average league two club with below-average league two attendances. Unless the club can pull off some great advertising/marketing deals and/or attendances increase dramatically, we won't get past where we are now (barring some exceptional season where we defy all odds).

In summary Paul, too many fans have unrealistic expectations... I accept our limitations and still have faith in the manager and the long-term vision of the owners...

..but nonetheless is it unfair for me to want (and possibly expect) a less timid and more adventurous approach from players that I have paid my money to watch, who I feel have the talent, but are inhibited and not doing themselves justice..?

scratch

I accept it may mean defeat, but lets lose with a bang not a whimper. Actually, over the years some of the proudest I have felt about our team has been following hard-fought, noble defeats. From a fans perspective that is the crucial missing factor - pride...!
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianchiboy wrote:
You are right, I will be back, because I love this club, always will, whether it is this season or next, who knows?

Even when love is involved, there is only so much pain a person can endure, no need to apologise or feel a need to justify anything, we haven't started taking a register at matches yet. We won't be needing a note from your mum excusing your absence, it is still a free choice.

Anyone who lasted the 90 minutes at home against Crewe and turned up for the next home game needs their head examined... it defies all logic... but that is the point... following a football club has no logical basis.. a bit like love.. Sad
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianchiboy wrote:
Bianchiboy wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
Bianchiboy wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
Pathetic result.

Sums it up for me.

The thing is Bianchi, and it's not often I go off on my high horse, but this is more than just a *beep* result.

The club wants to engage with fans more readily.The fans want to feel closer to the club.

Some bridges have been crossed, but oh too often the team doesn't show up, and slowly but surely other bridges are burned.
I struggle to see how I'm supposed to take this group of players seriously when they have always got this performance, this result in them.
No consistency at all.Not even a glimmer of hope for next season if this bunch continues to steal a wage and portray themselves as honest, hard working pros.

I can accept defeat, I can even accept poor performances, but I won't accept the club wanting the likes of me and you to attend, bring our friends and work colleagues etc and be a part of something that clearly has no end product.
This pathetic result speaks volumes about the mentality of this crop of players.

Sort yourself out CTFC,and quick, before we all find something better to do with our time.

I have to be honest and admit my last game was against Crewe, and I left that so disillusioned I'm really not sure if I am coming back again this season, and it really pains me to admit that.

And it's that kind of pathetic attitude from certain sections of our support that is more galling than a poor result. A club can't go forward with fairweather supporters. Quick to castigate when it's not going well, quick to jump on that band wagon when it starts going Old Traffordy. Look at the example of the Pompey supporters - that's proper.

Well I had a feeling it would be my turn for some classic BICH assumptions and accusations about someone he has never met with my last post.
It was tough for me to make that admission public, but that's how disillusioned I feel about the football I have been watching this season.
FYI BICH I have been a regular supporter of this club since the Dr Martin days and beyond. If you could expand the photo at the top of this forum you would see my flag attached to the fence behind the goal at Welling when we finally got promoted into the conference.
Please do not have the audacity to question my integrity as a supporter of this club when you know nothing about me other than a painful admission of losing faith in the football I have had to endure over the last few seasons.
To label me as 'pathetic', 'fair weather' and 'Old Traffordy' is bang out of order.

Dear Bianchiboy,

No, I have never met you I and I can only go by what you put on this forum. Thereís no need either to list your Crawley Town supporter credentials either, we can all do that. Iíve been a regular since the Dr Martens days too, whoop-di-do. As a point of fact, in my post I didnít cite you, I was talking generally.

Take Portsmouth as an example. We are in the same division as them this season on merit. But they still have the air of a big club. Why? Their players are better than ours, but not that much better. So why is it they when their club came to the Broadfield they did so like they own the place? One reason Ė their fans. They have fans that support their club and just slouch away when things get a bit tricky or a bit less Premier Leaguey or the football isnít to their liking.

Football clubs are made by their fans and nothing else. No-one cares more about a club than the fans, no the players, the staff, the management, not the owner. If you get tin-pot fans, you get a tin-pot club.

Kind regards,

BICH
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point about Pompey fans BICH... they are brilliant, but look at the big picture...

..average attendances dropped from 19.914 in the season they won the cup and finished 8th in the Prem... to 12.232 six years later, when they were in the 3rd tier... circa 40% drop..?

...but they have bounced back since they have started to do well in the 4th tier, even to a slightly better level than they had in the 2nd tier:

Year pos-lge-tot Ave Attnd
2008 08 1 08 19.914
2012 22 2 42 15.016
2013 24 3 68 12.232
2015 16 4 84 15.242

Last edited by thad on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Red Army
First Team
First Team

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianchiboy wrote:
Bianchiboy wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
Bianchiboy wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
Pathetic result.

Sums it up for me.

Dear Bianchiboy,

No, I have never met you I and I can only go by what you put on this forum. Thereís no need either to list your Crawley Town supporter credentials either, we can all do that. Iíve been a regular since the Dr Martens days too, whoop-di-do. As a point of fact, in my post I didnít cite you, I was talking generally.

Take Portsmouth as an example. We are in the same division as them this season on merit. But they still have the air of a big club. Why? Their players are better than ours, but not that much better. So why is it they when their club came to the Broadfield they did so like they own the place? One reason Ė their fans. They have fans that support their club and just slouch away when things get a bit tricky or a bit less Premier Leaguey or the football isnít to their liking.

Football clubs are made by their fans and nothing else. No-one cares more about a club than the fans, no the players, the staff, the management, not the owner. If you get tin-pot fans, you get a tin-pot club.

Kind regards,

BICH

I tend to agree with most of that, but we will never be a club like Portsmouth so there's not a huge amount of point compring us.

Due to the history of our town and football club the majority of our support, particularly those not from the younger generations, primary attachment is to clubs like West Ham, Chelsea, Tottenham etc. Therefore they're more likely to see coming to Crawley in terms of what the get for their money I.e entertainment and winning etc as opposed to supporters of, say, Portsmouth for whom it's more of a lifestyle.

I think that's why we have a higher percentage of people at Crawley who will sack it off if we're not having the best of seasons, or to the Football's *beep*; and who can blame them really -none of us are in any position to preach to others about what they should spend their hard earned cash on.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Army wrote:
I tend to agree with most of that, but we will never be a club like Portsmouth so there's not a huge amount of point compring us.

If you look at the figures I provided, Pompey attendances are much higher numbers than most and always have been, but their fans are just as fickle as a lot of others.

Football fans should not have to be prepared to put up with any old rubbish, at the point that attending matches stops being enjoyable, we surely have every right to place sanity over loyalty.
Red Army
First Team
First Team

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Red Army wrote:

If you look at the figures I provided, Pompey attendances are much higher numbers than most and always have been, but their fans are just as fickle as a lot of others.

Football fans should not have to be prepared to put up with any old rubbish, at the point that attending matches stops being enjoyable, we surely have every right to place sanity over loyalty.

Valid point but how many would Crawley pull in if we suffered three pitiful relegations in four years in the same manner as Portsmouth did? Bearing in mind when we have a comfortable mid-table season in the Football League (a level most would have never dreamt that we could reach less than a decade ago), you have fans queuing up to declare that they 'can't be bothered' anymore...
reigatered
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this ludicrous talk about a 'Project' annoys me. Its no good saying yes we have been really poor for the whole of this season but stick with us because we have a 'Project'. Its just nonsense.

What we need if we are to attract more support is to play attractive football, and for players and the manager to wear their hearts on their sleeves and demonstrate to fans that they really mean it and care. As I have said before most supporters can put aside some of the technical inadequacies of their players if there is palpable fight and energy shown all the time.

For the majority of this season (perhaps all of this season) I have not really seen any of that. We are as bad now as we were in August. The odd unexpected win perks us all up a bit, but its usually one step forward and two back. There is no discernible progress and a season is a very long time in football.

I cannot bear the thought of another season of rank mediocrity under Drummy. It would not matter so much if there was entertaining football on offer and we were losing but there isn't. Most of the games in the National League that I have watched this season have been much better value for money.

I am a season ticket holder and want the club to prosper. This 'Project' is going nowhere fast and we need change at the top.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reigatered wrote:
All this ludicrous talk about a 'Project' annoys me. Its no good saying yes we have been really poor for the whole of this season but stick with us because we have a 'Project'. Its just nonsense.

What we need if we are to attract more support is to play attractive football, and for players and the manager to wear their hearts on their sleeves and demonstrate to fans that they really mean it and care. As I have said before most supporters can put aside some of the technical inadequacies of their players if there is palpable fight and energy shown all the time.

For the majority of this season (perhaps all of this season) I have not really seen any of that. We are as bad now as we were in August. The odd unexpected win perks us all up a bit, but its usually one step forward and two back. There is no discernible progress and a season is a very long time in football.

I cannot bear the thought of another season of rank mediocrity under Drummy. It would not matter so much if there was entertaining football on offer and we were losing but there isn't. Most of the games in the National League that I have watched this season have been much better value for money.

I am a season ticket holder and want the club to prosper. This 'Project' is going nowhere fast and we need change at the top.
well said. No real improvement over season. Dummy out
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100 percent no improvement from game one until now. Intact I would argue we are getting worse.

I don't accept either Drum my has done better than Yates (who was awful). He has more and slightly better players at his disposal. Better budget but no better results or performance.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: