CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

EFL Trophy final
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: EFL Trophy final Reply with quote

In case anyone forgot that the competition was still chugging on....

The EFL Trophy final at Wembley on April 2nd, will feature a team that we narrowly lost to in this seasons matches... Coventry City will play Oxford Utd.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: EFL Trophy final Reply with quote

thad wrote:

The EFL Trophy final at Wembley on April 2nd, will feature a team that we narrowly lost to in this seasons matches... Coventry City will play Oxford Utd.

How has it ended up with two 'southern' teams Thad?
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: EFL Trophy final Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
thad wrote:

How has it ended up with two 'southern' teams Thad?

A very good question... actually there were only 'southern' teams in the semi-finals too...

Coventry beat Wycombe and Oxford beat Luton... the likes of Bradford & Mansfield went out in the Quarter-finals so I'm guessing - but not actually sure - that it stopped being regional at that point...(?)
JB
First Team
First Team

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did yes. Was only regionalised for the groups and first knockout stage.
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:
It did yes. Was only regionalised for the groups and first knockout stage.

Part of the new format I assume.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to fili in the gaps further, seeing as there was a lot of opinions expressed at the outset about the pro's & con's of Academy teams being included in the format.

ALL of the Academy teams were eliminated before the Quarter-Final stage.

Four made it to the previous round (of 16 teams), Brighton, Reading, Wolves & Swansea.

I await to see if anyone thinks the experiment was a success on any level..?
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
And to fili in the gaps further, seeing as there was a lot of opinions expressed at the outset about the pro's & con's of Academy teams being included in the format.

Four made it to the previous round (of 16 teams), Brighton, Reading, Wolves & Swansea.

I think people have voted with their feet already.

The pull of a Wembley day out will drag dome non-believers back but the Football League Trophy was a credible competition but this season it was utterly devalued.
Sulton111
First Team
First Team

Topics: 30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
thad wrote:

I think people have voted with their feet already.

The pull of a Wembley day out will drag dome non-believers back but the Football League Trophy was a credible competition but this season it was utterly devalued.

couldn't agree more and with L1 and L2 teams being fined for fielding 'weaker teams containing youngsters' it was farcical

Didn't Luton play a 'weakened team' in 2 games and won them both yet still got a fine?
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulton111 wrote:
Didn't Luton play a 'weakened team' in 2 games and won them both yet still got a fine?

It goes back to the old argument seen on here (probably raised by Thad) about who picks the team.

The manager or the FA...........
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
Sulton111 wrote:

It goes back to the old argument seen on here (probably raised by Thad) about who picks the team.
The manager or the FA...........

Sounds too intelligent to have been me Phil, but I think Luton made a good point that when they played their youngsters, it was a breach of rules.. yet the FA went out of their way to encourage Premier League and Championship sides to field their Academy teams, cos it's important for the future of our game...

FA doublespeak for.. one rule for the rich... etc... yawn.. sad1
JB
First Team
First Team

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just about fielding "weakened sides", it's about breaching the rule that you can only make 6 changes from the previous match. The same rule was in place for the JPT as well.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:
It's not just about fielding "weakened sides", it's about breaching the rule that you can only make 6 changes from the previous match. The same rule was in place for the JPT as well.

Well yes JB, it might have made sense in the JPT to ensure competitiveness and value for customers... but the EFL has now introduced Academy teams into the competition with a rationale that it helps develop young talent..
Quote:
Earlier in the week the EFL chief executive, Shaun Harvey, said: “The new format is intended to rejuvenate this competition and also assist the development of the very best young players in English football. This will help us deliver more and better homegrown players, which will deliver benefits to the national team and domestic league football at all levels.”

So folks "benefits to the national team and domestic league football at ALL LEVELS", yet they then bleat like babies when Luton try to use the competition to develop their young prospects... which is elitist & hypocritical... just like most football administrators.
josefk
First Team
First Team

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:

Do you think the academy sides all going out so early highlights another problem of football in general in the country?

Over the last few seasons I've seen academy sides from Norwich, Southampton, Tottenham etc yet always had the feeling that I've seen the same standard of football at a good Tandridge league game with say Tooting & Mitcham in it. I've never been amazed at the standard.

Only team that made an impression was Helsinki against Arsenal and it wasn't Arsenal that made it.
ant
Coach
Coach

Topics: 24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josefk wrote:

Do you think the academy sides all going out so early highlights another problem of football in general in the country?.

I think it highlights the problem that DD is showing - there are loads of talented kids in these sides but when they come up against a physical side they are found out.

Too much academy football is almost non-contact and non-competitive. I watch a fair bit of it - last season I recall seeing a spurs game with Andros Townsend playing- he completly bossed the game and ran rings round every single defender because they didn't know how to tackle him.

The EFL cup won't be won by an academy side but one change I would make is to allow those academy sides to have 3 first teamers in them. Do similar fr the league cup - make it a minimum number of first teamers and juniors - you'll stop some of the silly results happening

Spurs have players like Harry Winks who are being introduced into the full side by getting minutes here and there. His experience is yards ahead of where most academy players are
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:

Which is, if you break the 6 player rule, fielding a weakened side. Unless a manager was saving his best 11 for an EFL Trophy game. Which is unlikely.

It's a silly rule and it brings the Football League into disrepute. The manager manages, not the FL, and it's not the FL's job on the line if an injury or suspension from one match rules out an important player for a more vital match.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: