CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Cambridge United matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallly without a brolly.
Honestly, I've no idea how DD stood motionless in the rain for the whole game whilst that shambles of a performance played our in front of him.

We know our defence is weak but today it was shambolic.It doesn't help that up front DD continues with the lone striker in the hope our fullbacks can get forward and create chances.It just isn't happening for us with that set up.
We play a bit of nice football out from the back,we can knock it about in the middle but when it comes to the final third where it really matters we fall flat on our faces time and again.

For me that performance was horrendous all over the park.
Wodin
First Team
First Team

Topics: 53

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were great for first 15 minutes then a pure bowl of poo for the remaining 75...every time Arthur or Davey got the ball it was hearts in mouth job.

There centre forward was a beast
Stato
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first game in over a year and it certainly was an eye-openerÖ

Moment of the game Ė 85th minute - Nearly kicking a free kick (that was on the edge of their box) out for a throw before the Cambridge players realised it had been taken. Sadly this summed up our mistake-filled performance.

Unfortunately the result overshadowed a really promising start. Crawley played some great football in the first 12 minutes, some lovely passing from the players culminated in a great finish by Collins.

Iím a great believer in teams playing out from the back but for this system to be successful certain conditions need to be met:

1) Donít play this system on very wet pitches.
2) Donít play this system against quick counterattacking teams.
3) Donít play this system with players that are not combatable.

Davey has been vilified a lot in this post, Iíve never seen him play before so donít want to judge him too harshly but sadly he is not cut out for this system. As Simon has already mentioned, Davey was at fault for all of the goals. For the 1st goal, he ignored the shout from the keeper and gently passed it to the Cambridge player a couple of metres away who then squared it leading to a neat finish into the bottom corner. Up until that point we hadnít been troubled but from then onwards mistakes seeped into our game, the lovely passing moves that made up the first 12 minutes translated into multiple players giving the ball away all over the pitch. For the second goal, a mistake again by Davey led to Ďthe truckí (also known as Cambridgeís number 26) breaking free and deafly chipping Morris. Dťjŗ vu for the 3rd goal as a simple passing move at the back was ruined by Davey who, surprisingly, gave away the ball and made up for it by scything down their player on the edge of the box. The resulting free kick was by no means a foregone conclusion but was excellently curled into the top corner.

Other notes:
Garnett looks like a much safer bet to partner McNerney/Connelly if we continue to be missing one of them. He looked a lot more composed on the ball than some of our other players today.
Chris Arthur Ė not quite sure what to say about him. I donít know what his contract length is like but Iíll happily drive him to the job office when his contract ends as sadly I donít see a future in football for him.
Glenn Morris Ė Despite letting 3 goals in he didnít have much to do today. However his kicking was a pleasure to watch compared to some of our previous keepers. Unlike Davey, he is very much suited to this system.
Billy Clifford Ė Thought he was one of our better players today, drifted in and out of the games but in the rare moments that we played well, he was the main orchestrator of those moments.

Letís not all be doom-merchants just yet, it is still very early in the season and we showed some promise today but to be a successful football team we need to cut out the passing mistakes that were a fundamental part of our game today.
Michael
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sack DD, Stato you're in!
2oo2Red
Coach
Coach

Topics: 62

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey will fall down the divisions so quick he will be playing county league in a few years. Arthur is so unfit, was blowing out his *beep* from the minute he made his first run!

Was one of the most shambolic displays of football I've seen from any team and DD has serious problems the the defence.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD inexperience is showing and its very worrying! Why wasnt our beast upfront aka King Harold surely after their 3rd we needed him. More so as mentioned already reference to wolly without brolly. Something between the great Steve Evans blowing a gasket and brolly man wouldve been nice! To come on radio post match and say inexperience cost us, you wete partly right but include yourself in that. Cambridge missed some very good chances 5-1 or 6-1 wouldnt have been unrepresentative of todays display.

Arthur and Davey are liabilities. Some of decision making was worse than parks football. We gave them the lead then second half caved in. Halftime we shouldve stopped messing about try pass it out defence. No appreciation of the conditions. OK they were dirty at times but we fell apart and gifted them today in what shouldve been a very easy win. Smith never lead as captain. Collins best game for ages first half and he went awl like so many others after the break. On positive note Young showed why he should be perhaps captain. Think again was last player leave pitch faced crowd willimg accept anything thrown verbally at him though dont believe any was and genuine no this half hearted applause for our support. Young for that MOM. After today Im forced to question if we have enough depth to go up as champions. Cambridge ate a shocking side embarressing to be playing league two football. Today even Hastings couldve beaten us.

Its just one match however its raised very very VERY serious concerns: deffensively, about DD and depth of our squad. Bristol Rovers is chance put it 'right' it vital in many ways.

Last edited by Red, Red & Red on Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
TD Crawley
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we had seen some atrocious performances over the past three years at this stadium, but we save up the worst for today, against a side who will be in that relegation dogfight with us at the end of the season.
Arthur, pull a hamstring or something so you are not available for selection. You really should be embarrassed today (0/10); please never darken our door again, you really are hopeless, how you have managed to fool us into giving you a contract is beyond me.
Davey is not and never will be a centre half. As soon as you go back to Chelsea the better as you have no future here.
Drummy, continue like this and you will be playing in front of 408 fans not 2408.
Simply not good enough, you should all be ashamed of your performances today. Hopeless
Rant over
See you all at Mansfield
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and let me translate DD post match :"its all about sticking together" translates to "dont you start getting on my back". As for saying he"ll look at the dvd, give it a day or two and it'll be on the 'Horror channel on TV'.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After our goal, the most interesting bit was chatting to the Scottish lads in Redz after the game.....
colin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What canI Add the worst home defensive display I can remember for a long long time AURTHER and DAVEY go now and never return!! DD your tactics at home are useless only playing one up front is just so frustrating it's doing my head in
The honeymoon period is over SORT IT OUT !!
John The Gas
Coach
Coach

Topics: 85

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly can't disagree with the comments regarding Chris Arthur and Alex Davey - both were absolutely woeful at very best.

At the start of this season, I thought Double D was going to turn our fortunes around, but with just over a quarter of the season gone, I am now trying to find two teams worse than us.

It may look good from the Technical area watching the team pass the ball, but if you continuously give the ball away cheaply, then you'll get punished.

It has been the same old style every game - 'keeper rolls the ball out to full back, passes across the back line, then across to the other full back who's pushed up five yards,then passed inside etc,etc.
By the time we've reached the final third, the opposition have got their players behind the ball, crowding the penalty area.

We just don't seem to be able or want to move the ball quickly enough towards the goal.

The conditions today should have been a shoot on sight policy, not pass the ball in the net - Barcelona football doesn't work in this League.
If you can't defend,then you can't win.

Double D, you are going to have to adopt another formation sooner rather than later or I can see Crawley playing Gateshead next season.

So, two strikers up front and encourage them to shoot at the target (the white frame with a net behind it). PLEASE.

JTG
Captain Caveman
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The optimism I was feeling after last week seems to have been misplaced. Have to agree, Arthur is shocking, and Davey also clearly not good enough. With Bawling also on the left side, it was always going to be a struggle on that side of the pitch.

Staying positive, it's a really tight division. Only 2 points off the play offs (err, and 4 above relegation). The fringe players aren't good enough, but surely that's the same for most League 2 teams. With our first choice team playing, we've as much chance as many other teams of mounting a play off challenge. Hopefully!

Our good start and goal aside, the most interesting thing for me was two youths having a slagging match behind the goal, with the more aggressive one then asking the other outside to sort it out. Sorry, but I thought that was, at best, pathetic and, at worse, very off putting if we're serious about encouraging floating supporters to Crawley. It's not just about what's happening on the pitch (not great today), the whole experience needs to be good if people are going to keep coming back. And we need more support.
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wodin wrote:
We were great for first 15 minutes then a pure bowl of poo for the remaining 75...every time Arthur or Davey got the ball it was hearts in mouth job.

There centre forward was a beast

I think you have summed it up perfectly.

I fully agree
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambridge were nothing special, big strong and athletic but didn't create a lot... but they really didn't have to...

..very clever finish for their second, but all of their goals and a few other of their chances were avoidable and we simply failed to do the basics right... you could see the confidence draining.

Must mention James Collins who still put in a great shift despite the carnage around him.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reminded me of the bad days at the end of last season when we were getting hammered every week. Totally unacceptable performance.

Collins, Smith, Djalo, Clifford, Morris, Young and Connolly were the 7 that turned up. Garnett was OK second half.

Bawling and Enzio need to be warned their performances are not good enough and they are on borrowed time.

Arthur and Davey should be thanked and told not to come back. Not good enough for the Conference let alone league football.

Opponents who have scouted us know that we try to play from the back and therefore get us under pressure. Inevitably we make mistakes and they score. It's one thing doing it at Chelsea, another trying it with players like Davey who need 3 touches to control the ball.

Why is it from corners we have reverted to having all 11 players in our own box, it just invites pressure. Also I feel really sorry for Collins, he gets the ball and there isn't another Crawley player within 25 yards. Little surprise that we didn't have any shots on target in second half until the last minute of injury time. Their CF gave us a master class in centre forward play.

I make that a 5th booking and a suspension for Djalo on Tuesday. With Connolly taken to hospital it doesn't look too clever. Suggestion afterwards is McNerney's knee has flared up again and he is waiting a scan.

I am still a DD supporter but he has a big job trying to turn things around for Tuesday.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: