CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Roy Jennings R I P

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickyboy
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 45

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Roy Jennings R I P Reply with quote

Very sad to hear that Roy has passed away - would definitely feature in best ever Crawley side - hard as nails on the pitch, but a gentleman off it,

Two memories - firstly indicating his pleasure at the bent bar steward of a referee R W Rush in thhe infamous F A Cup Tie, and secondly picking up the ball in his own penalty area at Tonbridge, when a phantom whistler in the crowd brought play to a halt.

Thanks for everything Roy, you were the best.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy just about did everything at the club at one point.

That steely-eyed glare and firm jaw meant that as a youngster I always found him terrifying when he was a player or in the dug-out, I think a few of his teammates did too.. and that is probably the reason why I kept out of his way in later years.

notworthy

I never really got to know him. When I finally plucked up the courage for a brief chat I was shocked at how friendly he was and he possessed lots of knowledge too... but just in case, I still made an effort not to upset him too much, although I got the distinct impression that he thought I needed to visit a hairdresser.
trev
First Team
First Team

Topics: 51

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memory of Roy was that he never missed a penalty in all the years he played and he took every one. Another thing we used to comment on was that it did not matter how muddy Town Mead was it was very rare that he got his shorts muddy. All the other players would come of covered in mud but Roy would finish the game the cleanest player on the pitch. he played either right back or centre half and if a forward was two quick for him he was soon slowed down which was what defenders did in those days.
When he finished his playing days he took over as manager and in his first year he got Crawley promoted Southern league to the Southern Premier only to suffer relegation the next season.
Of the pitch he was a real gentleman on the pitch a formidable opponent we could do with a Roy to hold the team together today so RIP Roy as a young boy you were a hero to us.
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in Peace Roy, the Crawley fans will miss you .
Gary M
First Team
First Team

Topics: 21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was a Crawley Town FC Hall of Fame, he would be the first name on it. A true legend of Town Mead.

Thanks for all those memories Roy and Rest in Peace.
Graeme
Coach
Coach

Topics: 68

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great memories, me and Bruce use to call him crunch due to the noise when he went into the tackle. And of course he signed my all time hero Phil Basey.

Passing of a legend.
mickyboy
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 45

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he put the short in shorts. I had forgotten all about it he nickname 'Crunch' no player ever went pasthimtwice in the same match never bettered
PCrawley1
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice tribute from Mick Fox
colin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much more at add than what's been said already a true legend of town town mead and a real Gent RIP Roy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: