CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Stevenage matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
royboy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to worry about DD. Stevenage were average at best today yet we still only managed 2 shots on target. The subs he made were just like for like yet once again it was crying out for 2 up front.
I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt but I honestly don't think he has a plan B. It needs sorting soon or we will be on the slippery slope again and Dean Cox coming in January might be too late.
SMR
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
I don't think this is the time for over-reaction. We started well, now we are having a bad run.

Personally I have faith in DD. He is a proven coach working at a club with home gates of less than 2,000 and one of the smallest budgets in the league. With the change in loan rules we have to have a squad of 20 or more which makes it bloody hard. He is doing his best to play decent football not the type of crap that saw us lose 8 straight games last season.

I also think the club is a much happier place than before.

There are changes to make though, it can't help that we change our central defenders every game for example.

Let's give the guys a chance, to be questioning the manager in mid September is far too early.

While I don't disagree with what you are saying, DD was in charge for some of those eight games. And while he had MY's players, largely, he certainly wasn't letting them play MY's style or we wouldn't have lost 3-0 twice.
Warren
Coach
Coach

Topics: 299

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for panic just yet, IMO.

In truth, I don't think either side really deserved to win, Stevenage took their chances though and we didn't. They certainly weren't world-beaters.

We went direct with ten minutes to go, pushing Yussuf up top with Collins and it worked. Collins scored twice (okay, one was offside), but we created more that way.

Collins was getting stick again, but what can he do with no support for the majority of the game? He already has the same amount of goals three of our four full time strikers - Tomlin, Barnard and Fenelon - had combined last season. Not that that's some sort of wonderful benchmark, of course, but I've still got faith in him getting the goals.

Clifford again failed to impress. Constantly taking three touches too many and losing the ball. I think if we can't have Roberts in the three then by all means go for two up top, rather than putting Clifford in there.

Not sure on the decisions regarding the subs either. I'd have taken Clifford off to be honest, but DD traded the lively Enzio and Banton for Yussuf and Bawling.

I hope DD settles with his backline soon, but fear he'll use today's result as an excuse to throw Davey back in for either McNerney or Conns.

The positives? I suppose it's another game closer to having Roberts back and Cox in the squad...

Oh, and Beeney, who pulled off one terrific save in the first half and a very decent one in the second. Payne also came out of the game with credit.

Last edited by Warren on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
daz
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok , just back from the game and I will try to be as positive as possible which I know I should be.... the last 5 minuites was quite good....we have some good players but we have just as many poor ones.we have two good centre backs but rubbish goalies and fullbacks..we have a couple of good midfielders and 1 striker .....im trying not to be negative as I have attended the last 7 home and away games in a row and will attend the next 1oooooooo home games without fail , but we were rubbish...have seen no improvement in any recent games infact I think we are getting worse...have attended the last few games with a few pals who are previous attendees who was thinking of comeing back regularly but have said they wont come back to watch that.
I may be the first to say, but I dont care but I really dont think dermot is up to the job, he maybe a good coach in u21 football but he hasnt a clue about league2....a very nice bloke when l have spoken too him but he has made some poor poor signings and he dont have the tactical know how for this league, wish it was not the case but im affraid its the truth..
Thomasfrances1
Youth team
Youth team

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:
He is an under 21 coach who has shown no ability to adapt to league football.

How long do you estimate this adaption period should take then?

Surely, by your own admission, he needs to adapt...so therefore don't we need to give the adaption time?
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long may my drink remain half full than empty as it could look like DD is being exposed for that lack of appropriate experience and gamble taken on him but no longer are we subjected to sunday league **** under **** Barker and yates. Those managers were losers all over. DD has shown a care for the club and in summing up my main concern at this esrly stage lays with the lack of a scout at the club we simply cannot be reliant on every chelski misfit and reject to pump sumthing into this great club. This league is so poor it wont be difficult going up as Champions. A little more pre-match passion with the porridge and we can start thumping teams and breaking away. Its not Christmas yet but I believe DD may have pencil'd in a letter to Santa to include a new keeper, defence of solid statue, a playmaker in middle of park and John Akinde. Roll on Christmas and more opportunities for a drink my glass is half full drink lets fill it up next Saturday against all mouth and no end product Loo Town. Get down the Broadfield and get behind the greatest club of all scarf
SMR
Squad member
Squad member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren wrote:
No need for panic just yet, IMO.

In truth, I don't think either side really deserved to win, Stevenage took their chances though and we didn't. They certainly weren't world-beaters.

We went direct with ten minutes to go, pushing Yussuf up top with Collins and it worked. Collins scored twice (okay, one was offside), but we created more that way.

Collins was getting stick again, but what can he do with no support for the majority of the game? He already has the same amount of goals three of our four full time strikers - Tomlin, Barnard and Fenelon - had combined last season. Not that that's some sort of wonderful benchmark, of course, but I've still got faith in him getting the goals.

Clifford again failed to impress. Constantly taking three touches too many and losing the ball. I think if we can't have Roberts in the three then by all means go for two up top, rather than putting Clifford in there.

Not sure on the decisions regarding the subs either. I'd have taken Clifford off to be honest, but DD traded the lively Enzio and Banton for Yussuf and Bawling.

I hope DD settles with his backline soon, but fear he'll use today's result as an excuse to throw Davey back in for either McNerney or Conns.

The positives? I suppose it's another game closer to having Roberts back and Cox in the squad...

Oh, and Beeney, who pulled off one terrific save in the first half and a very decent one in the second. Payne also came out of the game with credit.

Payne did some good stuff going forward but he also lost the ball twice in his own half in the first 45. If Stevenage had been half as good as Portsmouth, we would have been made to pay...
Studio Steve
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frustrating defeat. Should have been a draw. When we lost the ball for their first goal it looked like our player was tackled from behind and thus should have been our free kick imho.
I still saw plenty of positives; Mitch distributed the ball well. Lewis got in plenty of good crosses. Josh Payne had a superb game, best passer on the pitch. My man of the match. Joe and Mark are the centre halves we should start with. Enzio and Jason really tried hard to create chances and played well on the wings. Collins scored one and had another ruled out despite feeding off scraps. Desperate to see Roberts back and the new boy in midfield. In football luck and small margins can make all the difference. I think we need to judge the team when its at full strength and a few more games have passed.
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Daz- great summation ...anyone can talk a good game ..but where is the evidence , ..results count.
srn151161
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
I don't think this is the time for over-reaction. We started well, now we are having a bad run.

Personally I have faith in DD. He is a proven coach working at a club with home gates of less than 2,000 and one of the smallest budgets in the league. With the change in loan rules we have to have a squad of 20 or more which makes it bloody hard. He is doing his best to play decent football not the type of crap that saw us lose 8 straight games last season.

There are changes to make though, it can't help that we change our central defenders every game for example.

Let's give the guys a chance, to be questioning the manager in mid September is far too early.

Or is it that you can't see the obvious..??&
lee 66
Coach
Coach

Topics: 104

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is DD going about this the right way.?It seems to me he is trying to make the players fit into a system instead of finding a system that suits the players.He can't coach ability to these player's,coaches never have been able to do that.Its all about drills and sequences of play during a match.It's why the best teams are the ones highly drilled in a system of play they know and more importantly able to carry out.
DD might have a system he wants to use,but if just one or two of the players in that team aren't suited to the system then the system will fail.
He needs time sure,but time is something managers in football don't really have.He needs to look deeply at the ability of each player and find a role for him in the team.He then needs to find the best way for that team to set up and drill it into them day after day on the training ground.If he can't do that quickly, then he, like many others before him will be history.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srn151161 wrote:
Simon wrote:

Or is it that you can't see the obvious..??&

I can see the obvious Stephen....trying to run a full time squad of 22 plus management and coaches, all on gates of less than 2,000. Off the field the club is run on a shoestring, a few hard working staff supported by volunteers.

If we end up outside the bottom 2 this season DD will have done well.

At least he is trying to work with and improve young players rather than journeymen. And along the way to try and pass the ball, compare that to Yates tactics at AFC, put Sonny Bradley up front and lump it every time.

The penny is finally starting to drop at Crawley Town, I said for years that it was pointless throwing money around that we didn't have, losses of 6m in 3 years, where did it get us?

Our only objective this year should be to stay up, anything else is a bonus. That is the reality.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMR wrote:
While I don't disagree with what you are saying, DD was in charge for some of those eight games. And while he had MY's players, largely, he certainly wasn't letting them play MY's style or we wouldn't have lost 3-0 twice.

True, DD was in charge for some games, however by that stage he was using it as a chance to see what the players could do and who to keep.

In reality he couldn't polish a *beep*, and in the likes of Walton, Barnard, Bradley, Tomlin etc we had plenty of *beep* at the club.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
Is DD going about this the right way.?It seems to me he is trying to make the players fit into a system instead of finding a system that suits the players.He can't coach ability to these player's,coaches never have been able to do that.Its all about drills and sequences of play during a match.It's why the best teams are the ones highly drilled in a system of play they know and more importantly able to carry out.
DD might have a system he wants to use,but if just one or two of the players in that team aren't suited to the system then the system will fail.
He needs time sure,but time is something managers in football don't really have.He needs to look deeply at the ability of each player and find a role for him in the team.He then needs to find the best way for that team to set up and drill it into them day after day on the training ground.If he can't do that quickly, then he, like many others before him will be history.
if coaches cant coach ability football goung forward must be doomed
SMR
Squad member
Squad member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
SMR wrote:

True, DD was in charge for some games, however by that stage he was using it as a chance to see what the players could do and who to keep.

In reality he couldn't polish a *beep*, and in the likes of Walton, Barnard, Bradley, Tomlin etc we had plenty of *beep* at the club.

He never even played Walton before paying him a lot of money to leave the club. Always thought that was bizarre. He would have been useful to have on the bench at least.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: