CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Paul Connolly charged by the FA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josefk
First Team
First Team

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can see the logic in the argument Jim, would like to see the fan as the instigator get a bit heavier punishment though as without his input it would just be a throw in happening.
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the slow motion of the incident on the Mirror's website it actually looks like the Brentford fan stretches his arm out towards Connolly and Connolly then uses his arm to deflect the fan's arm away.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/.....ey-3391251

In slow motion is does look like Connolly did not touch the fan's head/hat etc.

If the FA look at the slow motion play back I wonder whether Paul Connolly might be ok, maybe just receiving a warning for his actions, rather than a ban. Maybe.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
Watching the slow motion of the incident on the Mirror's website it actually looks like the Brentford fan stretches his arm out towards Connolly and Connolly then uses his arm to deflect the fan's arm away.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/.....ey-3391251

In slow motion is does look like Connolly did not touch the fan's head/hat etc.

If the FA look at the slow motion play back I wonder whether Paul Connolly might be ok, maybe just receiving a warning for his actions, rather than a ban. Maybe.

Looking at slow motion in a larger picture, I agree that it is nowhere near as clearcut as it first appears. It is clearer to see that the first movement was from the spectator - though Connolly's body partly blocks the view. This wasn't obvious at normal speed in a smaller picture. Connolly would be quite justified in taking defensive action in those circumstances. Interpretation is everything here. Blocking the spectator's arm movement was reasonable. But was catching him an accidental "overshoot" of a defensive action or was it a retaliatory attack? That's not so clear IMO. There may be a clue in the way Connolly approached the spectator. His arms were down and open in what could be interpreted as "Come on mate. What was that all about?". Or it could be a "You wanna take a swing punk? Here I am." Smile (reminds me of Clint Eastwood's "Do you feel lucky?"). Also in his favour is that he remained his side of the negligible barrier. The biggest argument against him is that he shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. If someone had chucked a ball at me - presumably aiming for the nut region - I would have struggled to be as restrained as Connolly.
It's difficult to say what will happen. Clearly it's in a very different league to Cantona - who actually jumped the barrier and clearly was not defending himself from a physical assault. However, I suppose there will be some punishment for actually getting in that situation. It may be three games but I suspect five. If it is interpreted as purely defensive, it may not even be that but I'm not so hopeful.
srn151161
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are living in dreamland...He will get the book thrown at him for that.. minimum five match ban..!!
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 208

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the FA's statement, it's going to be the usual outcome though. They have found him guilty before the hearing.
Maidenbower Millionaire
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 228

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Connolly, a poor man's Eic Cantona moment Embarassed

Perhaps he'll be on tv in a beer advert in years to come ?

Watch out for seagulls following trawlers ?

If you're under 30 google Eric Cantona of Man Utd v Crystal Palace Kung Fu kick Twisted Evil
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notso wrote:
Looking at the FA's statement, it's going to be the usual outcome though. They have found him guilty before the hearing.

The statement from the FA does suggest that he's guilty even before the appeal is heard and he will get more than the standard 3 game ban that is awarded following a sending off for violent conduct.

I would question though whether moving someone's arm that is coming towards you is violent conduct?

I expect Connolly to get a ban, but can see why he and the club have chosen to appeal the charge.
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srn151161 wrote:
You are living in dreamland...He will get the book thrown at him for that.. minimum five match ban..!!

My guess is five - though I reckon it should be less.
Alan (Cheltenham Branch)
First Team
First Team

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear he will get the book thrown at him, especially as we have a bit of previous in the eyes of the FA. After all, it was us who were entirely responsible for the battle of Bradford, wasn't it? And look at the nasty way we bullied poor little Torquay out of their rightful spot of a 5th round FA Cup tie at Old Trafford.... according to Chris Coleman anyway.
bridgesboy79
Coach
Coach

Topics: 50

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan (Cheltenham Branch) wrote:
I fear he will get the book thrown at him, especially as we have a bit of previous in the eyes of the FA. After all, it was us who were entirely responsible for the battle of Bradford, wasn't it? And look at the nasty way we bullied poor little Torquay out of their rightful spot of a 5th round FA Cup tie at Old Trafford.... according to Chris Coleman anyway.

Surely not the mighty and soon to be non league Torquay?!
Graeme
Coach
Coach

Topics: 68

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on the reds wall on Saturday that Paul Connolly is to appeal against his FA charge. If the hearing is next week week he might play on Tuesday Friday and Monday (if not injured) What happens if he gets a ban more than the remaining games. Does it roll into next season ?
If so, if he doesnt stay next season would it roll over to his new club ?

Anyone know ?
Phil B
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 51

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme wrote:
I saw on the reds wall on Saturday that Paul Connolly is to appeal against his FA charge. If the hearing is next week week he might play on Tuesday Friday and Monday (if not injured) What happens if he gets a ban more than the remaining games. Does it roll into next season ?
If so, if he doesnt stay next season would it roll over to his new club ?

Anyone know ?

Yes. And Yes.
Crawley Ben
Coach
Coach

Topics: 176

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JG has said he will give Connolly his full support in respect of the appeal. Would like to see him back here next season if that's possible. Has looked solid when he's played from what I've seen of him.

Ben
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The appeal hearing was yesterday. He's been banned for 5 games. The length of the ban is now subject to an appeal.

http://www.thefa.com/news/gove.....ve-matches
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

Topics: 59

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that we accepted the charge.

Given that Connolly therefore admits to hitting a spectator does that change your view on what the punishment should be?

I set out my view that the spectator and the player should be given the same punishment but I have yet to hear what happened to the spectator.

I will also say that the FA must stop prejudging case that are brought before it. It brings the system into disrepute and is against natural justice and makes the verdict open to challenge in a real court.

Jim Baker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: