CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Gillingham matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:
Drurry was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. He has a skill,level way beyond league one. Jones was good today he has a good mix of skill and energy and i think he should be in the middle holding role.

Proctor wasn't bad today he worked hard but his instincts as a front man are a problem. Compare him to Tubbs who gets a shot off , usually on target from the most difficult positions with no time. JP just doesn't have the reaction or accuracy. He holds the ball and works hard though.

Fallon looked ok and won all his headers when he came on.

Clarke was off form , that said he still created a lot of our best stuff. Not sure if he was grumpy about his position , just knackered maybe or something else but he looked out of sorts. ..but he contributed a lot despite clearly not 100 percent.

Shows how people see it completely differently, Paul Jones kept us in it and our MOTM by a mile, Paul Connolly I thought was safe and fairly assured and looks better than Mark Connolly at full back. I thought middle of midfield today was much too casual, yes Drury has some class but also too much complacency. I also thought Billy Clarke was involved in most of our meaningful attacks, just that like every other player could not shoot to save his life. When are our midfield players such as Drury, Mike Jones, Bulman etc going to start banging in a few shots from outside the box, when have we done that this season?
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

Topics: 332

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was all very disappointing. We didnt exactly play well but we created more than enough chances to come away with a point. Gillingham were functional at best but we made them look better than they are in places. A draw would have been fair but yet again we gave away a rubbish goal from a corner (time to drop the zone marking and put a man on each post) and we cant just reply on Tubbs to score every games.

P. Jones 8 He made several fine saves which prevented us from losing by more

P. Connelly 7 Hes slotted in very well at right back and looks completely at ease

Sadler 6 Steady defensively but didnt offer much going forward

McFadzean 7 He won most things and linked the defence to midfield well

Walsh 6 A really sloppy first quarter but got better

Bulman 6 Standard 100% effort but he didnt exert his influence on the game as per usual

Drury 5 Didnt look urgent enough and nothing really came off for him

M. Jones 7 Although not his natural position hes looked a decent outlet on the wing in the last couple of games

Clarke 5 He kept on losing the ball and the opposition knew hes so heavily left-footed

Tubbs 6 He snatched at a couple of half-chances, came into it more late on

Proctor 5 Hes either world-beater (Tuesday) or hopeless (Gillingham)

Fallon 4 Turning circle of an articulated lorry, won nothing in the air

Kaikai N/A Im not sure he touched the ball
AllRed63
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:
Drurry was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. He has a skill,level way beyond league one. Jones was good today he has a good mix of skill and energy and i think he should be in the middle holding role.

Proctor wasn't bad today he worked hard but his instincts as a front man are a problem. Compare him to Tubbs who gets a shot off , usually on target from the most difficult positions with no time. JP just doesn't have the reaction or accuracy. He holds the ball and works hard though.

Fallon looked ok and won all his headers when he came on.

Clarke was off form , that said he still created a lot of our best stuff. Not sure if he was grumpy about his position , just knackered maybe or something else but he looked out of sorts. ..but he contributed a lot despite clearly not 100 percent.

Shows how people see it completely differently, Paul Jones kept us in it and our MOTM by a mile, Paul Connolly I thought was safe and fairly assured and looks better than Mark Connolly at full back. I thought middle of midfield today was much too casual, yes Drury has some class but also too much complacency. I also thought Billy Clarke was involved in most of our meaningful attacks, just that like every other player could not shoot to save his life. When are our midfield players such as Drury, Mike Jones, Bulman etc going to start banging in a few shots from outside the box, when have we done that this season?

The reason Drury plays better with Sergio alongside him is that Serge does his running and tackling and then gives him the ball to pass - Andy is our best passer - he also has a decent shot if he'd flaming well use it!! Big work for Guy Whittingham this week to get our attackers to get their shots off properly - at least the guys won't need any fitness work!!
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in Crawley Hospital wrote:
...yet again we gave away a rubbish goal from a corner (time to drop the zone marking and put a man on each post)

We had someone on the post for the corner they scored from.

Match highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBgX8prGyKo
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
...yet again we gave away a rubbish goal from a corner (time to drop the zone marking and put a man on each post)

Not both posts though, as I said.

I accept that his goal went in a the back post but goals have been lost in other games because there hasn't been a man on each post.

Covering the posts is basics I would have though.
Tels
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some key players seemed to have little or no interest yesterday - typical for my first away trip!. I wonder how the news around next seasons wages likely to be less if they stay has affected their motivation?.
Also the New Manager syndrome may be wearing thin now and JG needs to grab a few and shake them up. His post match interview I saw on Youtube was a very disappointed man and almost depressed I wanted to ensure he had no sharp knifes around him!
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:

What was Sadler doing for their goal? Totally lost his man. We do seem to be hopeless defending set pieces.
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tels wrote:
Some key players seemed to have little or no interest yesterday - typical for my first away trip!. I wonder how the news around next seasons wages likely to be less if they stay has affected their motivation?.
Also the New Manager syndrome may be wearing thin now and JG needs to grab a few and shake them up. His post match interview I saw on Youtube was a very disappointed man and almost depressed I wanted to ensure he had no sharp knifes around him!

At little bit harsh there. I don't think the effort was a problem, more the final ball and/or finish. On another day - or a day when Proctor put his boots on the right way round - it would have been a comfortable win.

I don't think with this group of players with the likes of Bulman, Jones, McFadzean, Connelly, Tubbs etc in the side effort is ever in short supply.
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept that his goal went in a the back post but goals have been lost in other games because there hasn't been a man on each post.

Covering the posts is basics I would have though.

There have been a couple of posts suggesting we had neither post covered for the goal. I was surprised to see Bulman by the post when I saw the highlights.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tels wrote:

At little bit harsh there. I don't think the effort was a problem, more the final ball and/or finish. On another day - or a day when Proctor put his boots on the right way round - it would have been a comfortable win.

I don't think with this group of players with the likes of Bulman, Jones, McFadzean, Connelly, Tubbs etc in the side effort is ever in short supply.

I didn't think the work rate was bad, however in L1 you can't afford to carry even one or two players as we seemed to yesterday.

Sadly we have had the same old problem since Tubbs and Barnett left, no decent forwards at the club until Tubbs came back.
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think work rate was fine but with players like Drury you have to accept he isnt the quickest and isnt the hardest working, but offers other skills providing we have some workrate around him.
Couldnt see the criticism of Billy Clarke, he tries things others dont so obviously will make mistakes but did a couple of nice one twos to create chances, missed a few chances but was there to miss them, and also saw him chasing back the length of the field first half to block one out for a corner. He isnt a miracle worker, and basically we were just rubbish in front of goal yesterday (but still had one or two blocked on or near the line!)
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with yesterday was our finishing. On another day we would have had a couple of goals. Same as against Stevenage 2nd half we need to be more ruthless in front of goal.
mickf
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawley69 wrote:
The only problem with yesterday was our finishing. On another day we would have had a couple of goals. Same as against Stevenage 2nd half we need to be more ruthless in front of goal.

But hasnt that been our problem pretty much all season? Also we fail to deliver in home games and then when we get an away game with a reasonable following we do the same there! And I couldnt see any reason the pitch could be blamed for our failure on Saturday, just that we cannot shoot (one save by their keeper?)
Seems you have to travel to the other end of the country to see a "proper" Crawley performance, which isnt great for encouraging bigger home crowds! Confused
jacko spinking
First Team
First Team

Topics: 73

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a great game at all and no chance to get an atmosphere going with no roof on that orrible death trap of a stand!! especially near half time, when i was running down to get a beer!! i have the bruises and swollen knee to prove it! lucky it wasnt wet eh? Embarassed Embarassed

oh and it was nothing to do with the pre match jager bombs!!
Born in Crawley Hospital
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacko spinking wrote:
Not a great game at all and no chance to get an atmosphere going with no roof on that orrible death trap of a stand!! especially near half time, when i was running down to get a beer!! i have the bruises and swollen knee to prove it! lucky it wasnt wet eh? Embarassed Embarassed

oh and it was nothing to do with the pre match jager bombs!!

Maybe your priority should be watching the football match you paid to see then rather than leaving early to have a half time beer.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: