CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Stevenage matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex BH
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 54

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't attend the game but I get the feeling Stevenage are still playing rugby instead of football, some things never change eh? Laughing

Sounded like we should of won, but equalising in added time always feels good.

8 points out of 12 and the same return in the next 3 games and we can finally start to see daylight between us and the relegation zone and who know maybe we can even start looking at the top 6.
far2jammy
First Team
First Team

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make Tubbs appearance v goal ratio to be .75 a game. Which has to be some kind of club record for some one that has played more than a handful of matches. Obviously if Bournemouth are reading this you have to appreciate he can only do this in a red shirt in West Sussex. Many of these goals come from such good crosses they ping in when his not even looking. If they want we can take his wage burden of them as a favour next year.
lochislair
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 129

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a point to people complaining about the ref- yes, there were many decisions I'd have liked him to give that he missed, but our players make it easy for him not to give them when they hit the ground as if they've been shot by a Russian sniper.
bandy1954
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 66

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

backofthenet wrote:
In JG I trust.

With the amount of games we have left, he has to start with what he thinks Will do the job for him.

It didn't work this time, and he changed it it H/T - well done him.

If you don't give ALL players a chance, you don't know what they can do.

Anyway, a good point, even if MT did miss his first ever league penalty.

Good support from Satanage; still hope they go down though because I hate the way Westley has them playing.

Good management then! Not sure if RB would have done that. Tough decision to sub players at halftime but he did it.
Bianchiboy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not recall anyone mentioning Jones performance in goal, he kept us in it in the first half?
How many more goals are we going to concede from corners?
Westley may have them playing in a rugby style, but some of their players looked like rugby players!
"Nobody does it better, Tubbsy your the best"
Please stay?
d_c_bryan
First Team
First Team

Topics: 19

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever we think about Westley and how he sets his teams up, they were far better at their game than we were at ours throughout most of the match; they should have been two up at the very least by half time.
All they had to do was contain us and with Westley telling his players to get the ball in the air, we couldn't do much with it up there.
Then at last some spirit and fight came through from us and it was a great battle of wills.
Must say I though Paul Connolly played well, lots of telling passes down the wing in the second half.
Boetang was poor, probably the pace and intensity just passed him by; he wont start again unless we're desperate.
Still, I'm sure we'd have settled for 4 points from these last two matches so still on course to narrow the gap between us and 6th place although Sheff Utd need to be stopped when they come here.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d_c_bryan wrote:
Whatever we think about Westley and how he sets his teams up, they were far better at their game than we were at ours throughout most of the match; they should have been two up at the very least by half time.
All they had to do was contain us and with Westley telling his players to get the ball in the air, we couldn't do much with it up there.

True enough... but a look at the table highlights the limitations of sticking resolutely to one approach... I cannot really reconcile the intelligent & inspirational chap that I have had dealings with... and the robust, direct & uncompromising style of his team... but he will do it his way wherever that leads... even if it means a local derby at Luton..(?)
Graeme
Coach
Coach

Topics: 68

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened to the JG and Fadz interviews.

JG's, Its so refreshing
He states clearly why he made changes and then stands up and says he got it wrong. And put it right for the second half.
No complaining about the ref, clearly admits we were unlucky tonight but we have been lucky in other games and over a season it evens out.
(None of this defeatest were lucky to be competing in this league, and the team was well prepared.... )
I reckon we have really come up lucky appointing JG.

Fadz interview is so positive it's infectuous, if that attitude goes through the squad at the moment, however inprobable, maybe they can just make those playoffs. Laughing
chippy minton
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A game of two halves.
I am going to give credit to both managers, for a change.
Firstly Westley for his smothering tactics right from kick off, for the whole of the first 45 minutes. His team completely took over the midfield and negated any attacking ideas we had, but his team looked very capable going forward. Their midfield seemed to want it more than we did, and they won every loose ball and knock down.
Secondly, JG for recognising his team selection / tactical play had ground to a halt and needed to positively alter the team around in the second half.
We completely took over the running of the midfield and really played some exciting attacking footy to retrieve the situation. It was akin to the charge of the light brigade in the second half !!! The only thing missing was the onion bag bulging a few more times.
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 208

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chippy minton wrote:
A game of two halves.
Firstly Westley for his smothering tactics right from kick off, for the whole of the first 45 minutes. His team completely took over the midfield and negated any attacking ideas we had, but his team looked very capable going forward. Their midfield seemed to want it more than we did, and they won every loose ball and knock down.
Secondly, JG for recognising his team selection / tactical play had ground to a halt and needed to positively alter the team around in the second half.
We completely took over the running of the midfield and really played some exciting attacking footy to retrieve the situation. It was akin to the charge of the light brigade in the second half !!! The only thing missing was the onion bag bulging a few more times.

I don't need to add much more to the above, this just about sums it up. It was certainly getting very frustrating in the end as I thought that it was just going to be 'one of those nights'. They closed down our midfielders admirably in the 1st half, but the inspired(?) substitutions at half time had a remarkable effect.

At last, a manager who has a 'Plan B' and isn't afraid to use it. Long may it continue.
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some highlights from last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CZQtqcMh8s
Tonyt
Coach
Coach

Topics: 107

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notso wrote:
chippy minton wrote:
A game of two halves.

I don't need to add much more to the above, this just about sums it up. It was certainly getting very frustrating in the end as I thought that it was just going to be 'one of those nights'. They closed down our midfielders admirably in the 1st half, but the inspired(?) substitutions at half time had a remarkable effect.

At last, a manager who has a 'Plan B' and isn't afraid to use it. Long may it continue.

Two very fair appraisals. We could easily have won the game in the last few minutes. But we had four players through with just two to beat, only for them to fluff it, shortly followed by another almost certainty to be hoofed over the bar.

Tubbs spent quite some time on his rear end but to me the player who changed the game for us had to be Bulman. Why, because he never gives up when most other players do.
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:

Who played the pass for Tubbsy? What a ball that was.
matcowdrey
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Peter wrote:

Kyle...!!! Shocked
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matcowdrey wrote:
James wrote:
Peter wrote:

Kyle...!!! Shocked

And he was honest enough afterwards to say he was looking for Jamie Proctor.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: