CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |


Carlisle - OFF after pitch inspection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Peter
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 13258
Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interview with Michael Dunford.

http://youtu.be/bWP8Odvh30E
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mickf
Coach
Coach


Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Last Visit: 14 Dec 2014
Posts: 3026
Topics: 49
Location: Southgate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil B wrote:
mickf wrote:
lee 66 wrote:
The ref did his inspection at 10 and the only area of the pitch he was concerned about was the penalty area at the away end.He wasn't too impressed with the sanded area in front of the West stand but his main concern was half the penalty area nearer the West Stand.
It was very boggy and pudding like.
We had 30 people forking it for nearly 2 hours.It got a little better by 12 but in all honestly it wasn't great.
We all knew it was touch and go and after 20 minutes the ref made his mind up.He didn't really have much choice.We have a sodden penalty area and Need more sun and wind to dry it out.

So wind and sun like we have at the moment then!? Shocked
Had the water got under the covers then, because when I was there last week they didnt overlap very well especially in high winds (like last night!)?


See page 2 mick - 1 of the 4 covers went AWOL ....

I thought that sheet we had on our washing line (in Southgate) was a bit big for a double! Shocked
I think last week we were trying to lay six covers rather than four, quite a few joins to keep watertight!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rednose
Subs bench
Subs bench


Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Last Visit: 28 Aug 2017
Posts: 546
Topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stoneface wrote:
We have, apparently, paid a fortune for covers, got heaters, fans in etc and our return on this, so far, has been zero.

That pitch is an embarrassment and if I was Tony Pulis I would never let my promising youngsters play on it.
It all appears to have gone quiet on the 2 players who were coming in yesterday as well.

How can young lads develop their skills on that?

Can anybody see Tuesday's game go ahead? Nah, me neither. We have a very big Saturday game against P'boro on the horizon in a couple of weeks with a crowd potentially in excess of 4,000. Let's hope that is on!


Tony Pullis has never encouraged any of his players to play football.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stoneface
Squad member
Squad member


Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Last Visit: 14 May 2017
Posts: 261
Topics: 12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rednose
Subs bench
Subs bench


Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Last Visit: 28 Aug 2017
Posts: 546
Topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stoneface wrote:
Point taken! Very Happy
Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lee 66
Coach
Coach


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 23 May 2017
Posts: 2358
Topics: 104

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
lee 66 wrote:
The ref did his inspection at 10 and the only area of the pitch he was concerned about was the penalty area at the away end.He wasn't too impressed with the sanded area in front of the West stand but his main concern was half the penalty area nearer the West Stand.
It was very boggy and pudding like.
We had 30 people forking it for nearly 2 hours.It got a little better by 12 but in all honestly it wasn't great.
We all knew it was touch and go and after 20 minutes the ref made his mind up.He didn't really have much choice.We have a sodden penalty area and Need more sun and wind to dry it out.

So wind and sun like we have at the moment then!? Shocked
Had the water got under the covers then, because when I was there last week they didnt overlap very well especially in high winds (like last night!)?



The fact is the penalty area in question was like a pudding.It was getting wind and sun on it but Unfortunatly it needs a good day or two of sun and wind to dry it out.It wasnt going to dry out by 3 o clock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mickf
Coach
Coach


Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Last Visit: 14 Dec 2014
Posts: 3026
Topics: 49
Location: Southgate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
mickf wrote:
lee 66 wrote:
The ref did his inspection at 10 and the only area of the pitch he was concerned about was the penalty area at the away end.He wasn't too impressed with the sanded area in front of the West stand but his main concern was half the penalty area nearer the West Stand.
It was very boggy and pudding like.
We had 30 people forking it for nearly 2 hours.It got a little better by 12 but in all honestly it wasn't great.
We all knew it was touch and go and after 20 minutes the ref made his mind up.He didn't really have much choice.We have a sodden penalty area and Need more sun and wind to dry it out.

So wind and sun like we have at the moment then!? Shocked
Had the water got under the covers then, because when I was there last week they didnt overlap very well especially in high winds (like last night!)?



The fact is the penalty area in question was like a pudding.It was getting wind and sun on it but Unfortunately it needs a good day or two of sun and wind to dry it out.It wasnt going to dry out by 3 o clock.

Which makes his decision to have another inspection two hours after the first one a bit strange (and not that it matters to anybody else, as it shouldnt, but it cost me personally 50!!Evil or Very Mad ) Sods law the game will be on Tuesday (I hope it is as well) with me in Newcastle (as I was for the last two home league games at Christmas!!) so good luck to the ground staff in getting that on, and the players to get a win.
And commiserations to the travelling Carlisle fans, I hope they realise how desperate we were to give the game every chance to go ahead and if the referee had just given been a bit braver it would have gone ahead on a nice sunny day!


Last edited by mickf on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Simon
Manager
Manager


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 12671
Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
An interview with Michael Dunford.

http://youtu.be/bWP8Odvh30E


Fair dos to MD for these interviews. He looks tired and clearly frustrated but always seems very dignified.

Unfortunately though it's difficult to see how we got from "the pitch is playable under the covers" on Thursday night to this. Either the covers didn't work very well or the pitch never was playable. The strong inference appears to be that if Carlisle were not already down here the ref would have called it off at 10am.

I hope whoever has come up with the proposed solution of taking up 4/5 inches and reseeding knows what they are doing. To most of us in the West Stand it looks more complicated than that, as for the last two or three years big slabs of turf have been coming up where there are no proper roots and let's face it the pitch was cutting up badly even before the winter rains.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lee 66
Coach
Coach


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 23 May 2017
Posts: 2358
Topics: 104

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a new pitch.It should have been sorted a few years ago.We have all known for at least the last 3 seasons that the quality of the grass is poor.For too long it has been neglected,well,that neglect has finally caught up with us.
As has been said time and time again without a pitch to play on you are nothing.It is barmy and completely mad not to have a decent pitch.We know we have had rain,but so has the rest of the country.It was always going to hit our pitch worse because it's poor quality gives it no chance of recovery.

Today at the club I was told it would cost about 70,000 to put the pitch right.
If the club can't find that amount of money in the summer then we might as well bloody give up .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aran35
Reserve team
Reserve team


Joined: 29 Feb 2012
Last Visit: 06 May 2016
Posts: 92
Topics: 5
Location: Crawley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
We need a new pitch.It should have been sorted a few years ago.We have all known for at least the last 3 seasons that the quality of the grass is poor.For too long it has been neglected,well,that neglect has finally caught up with us.
As has been said time and time again without a pitch to play on you are nothing.It is barmy and completely mad not to have a decent pitch.We know we have had rain,but so has the rest of the country.It was always going to hit our pitch worse because it's poor quality gives it no chance of recovery.

Today at the club I was told it would cost about 70,000 to put the pitch right.
If the club can't find that amount of money in the summer then we might as well bloody give up .


Lee, I agree with you completely.

Look at the extravagant spending 3 years ago (275k for Brodie), the FA cup runs of 2011 and 2012.
Even now we were told recently by the club that we have a top half League One budget, albeit propped up by investors. 100k on Emile Sinclair?
Priorities all over the place, its a bit like someone on benefits having a huge flatscreen TV...... oh hang on a minute??? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rednose
Subs bench
Subs bench


Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Last Visit: 28 Aug 2017
Posts: 546
Topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what cost you 50 that you can't get back? Petrol, train?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Simon
Manager
Manager


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 12671
Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aran35 wrote:
lee 66 wrote:
We need a new pitch.It should have been sorted a few years ago.We have all known for at least the last 3 seasons that the quality of the grass is poor.For too long it has been neglected,well,that neglect has finally caught up with us.
As has been said time and time again without a pitch to play on you are nothing.It is barmy and completely mad not to have a decent pitch.We know we have had rain,but so has the rest of the country.It was always going to hit our pitch worse because it's poor quality gives it no chance of recovery.

Today at the club I was told it would cost about 70,000 to put the pitch right.
If the club can't find that amount of money in the summer then we might as well bloody give up .


Lee, I agree with you completely.

Look at the extravagant spending 3 years ago (275k for Brodie), the FA cup runs of 2011 and 2012.
Even now we were told recently by the club that we have a top half League One budget, albeit propped up by investors. 100k on Emile Sinclair?
Priorities all over the place, its a bit like someone on benefits having a huge flatscreen TV...... oh hang on a minute??? Rolling Eyes


Indeed. Spot on. The money wasted on Sinclair would have done it.

The money from the cup runs, Tubbs and Barnett etc may have been used to build the team (and even that's debatable, as I think the Tubbs/Barnett team was better than the one now) but hasn't really built the club.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan (Cheltenham Branch)
First Team
First Team


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 23 May 2017
Posts: 825
Topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldcodger wrote:
Another trip down from Stoke wasted, when no news after 10am inspection driving down I was convinced it would be on. If it wasn't fit at 10am it was not going to be fit at 12. I am luckier than most, have somewhere to stay when I come down, and all fuel is paid for, however still very disappointing.

Great shame for Carlisle fans they would have been very close, if not already arrived.

I am having withdrawal symptoms, no live football at the Broadfield for....


I share your pain, OC - another wasted trip for me too. I fully agree with the bit about the 10am inspection. Okay he may have been trying to give the club a chance to get the game on but would 2 hours really make that much difference? That's not denigrating the efforts of the people who turned up to help, by the way. Fantastic effort by them and I would have joined you if I lived closer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
backofthenet
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Last Visit: 28 May 2017
Posts: 3197
Topics: 421
Location: Oop North

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forecast seems to have changed during the day.

Not much rain for our area for the next 72 hours.

That being the case, all our hard work this morning will I think pay dividends for Tuesday.

I really did feel for Matt and his team about 10 minutes after it was called off.
I think the reality had started to sink in and he really did look quite upset.

Keep your chin up mate, and I can see us getting the game on against Tranmere.

Apart from the Western half of the away penalty area, the only other real dodgy areas seemed to be a strip from the centre circle towards the away end, in front of the dug-outs and all the off pitch touchline areas apart from the East side and SW side.

Not sure when the Sheffield United FA Cup match will be rearranged to, but keep your fingers crossed they lose or there may be circumstances where we have to move our Tuesday fixture against them at the end of March.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peter
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 13258
Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backofthenet wrote:
Not sure when the Sheffield United FA Cup match will be rearranged to, but keep your fingers crossed they lose or there may be circumstances where we have to move our Tuesday fixture against them at the end of March.

Aren't they playing tomorrow? It was Wednesday's game that was postponed today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum






This forum is run independently from and has no connection with the Crawley Town Football Club official site
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group :: Spelling by SpellingCow.


  Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit