CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |


Walsall matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Last Visit: 18 Sep 2017
Posts: 5070
Topics: 103

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the game was pretty tedious, especially the first half, I thought it went through phases where it was good to watch if looking from a technical viewpoint rather than the viewpoint of wanting to be entertained. 0-0 against a side that is 5 or 6 places above us is satisfactory IMO - and we gave as good as we got in terms of effort. Either side might have won it from the very few chances created and I'm sure that Proctor regrets that missed header.
For me the most pleasing aspect was Connolly's performance. Although P Jones was nominated MOTM, I thought that Connolly just shaded it.
I believe that goals and some wins aren't too far away - though I do expect us to finish below last season's position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Simon
Manager
Manager


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 12671
Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee 66 wrote:
The game was tiresome,It just isnt any fun watching Crawley at the moment.
Standing in terrace today you could feel the frustration from nearly everyone.
Not just those that tend to moan more either,even the more positive fans amoungst us were, for a better word ,bored.



I agree Lee. People can dress it up as they like but it was dull. Don't serve up that rubbish and then wonder why gates are so low.

Two shots all game, half chances for Billy that he didn't hit. Proctor worked his nuts off but most times there wasn't anyone within 20 yards of him for the flick down. Connolly was also good (one critical block in the second half) and Bully his usual self but there were a lot of underperformers today.

Our best chance of scoring today would have been to put the goal on the roof.

Hurst is an accident waiting to happen at RB. Plus whoever voted Jones MoM must have been in the hospitality lounge all game. What a joke.

To be fair Walsall weren't any better apart from hitting the pos as we tried to give away our usual early second half goal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peter
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 13258
Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos from the game.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m.....984742416/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Last Visit: 28 May 2017
Posts: 5545
Topics: 70
Location: BW Stand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: TORA, TORA........ Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
AllRed63 wrote:
.......Torres!! You want passion? Somebody to pass the ball to our players? Somebody to win the ball back high up the pitch? Somebody to fill the gaping chasm that was our midfield at times? If you don't know who it is, read the book!! Unfortunately, the Barker is not for turning!! All of his qualities, and there are many, are wiped out by his intransigence over playing Sergio. It insults the player and it insults the fans who have loved having him at the Club since 2010. He had an excuse when we were playing relatively well but we are creating precious little now. Forget the errors at the back - that's just a smokescreen - the real problem is upfront and midfield. Look in the goals for column - dismal!! Don't cry out about your small squad until you have explored all options. I'll say it again for the last time - give Sergio a run of matches (min. 3) and watch the improvement!


Are you Sergio's dad?

Not the answer, as proven.

As proven? Don't talk garbage. Has Torres had 3 games on the trot this season? No, so nothing is proven. He gives both the crowd and the other players a lift when he's in the team. And he will work harder than anybody in our midfield, Bulman excepted. But like Barker, you're not prepared to give him a chance. What's the harm in trying Torres? Nothing else is working at the moment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Simon
Manager
Manager


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 12671
Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to say I am a fan of Drury and thought he would be one of the signings of the summer. However he really has been a massive disappointment and I wonder if Torres would have done any worse with the same chances.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 30 May 2017
Posts: 5728
Topics: 63
Location: DFS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
I'm not happy how we are playing but will continue to support the team 100% and will keep going to the games whatever the result or the performance. I know a lot of people will decide not to go and that is understandable but I won't be one of them.

Supporting your team through thick and thin is a given isn't it?
It's the fact that we have many that don't that cements my point that many of our 'followers' are half hearted and let's face it,a bit clueless.
I suspect that many of them are just as happy having a run down to Asda on a Saturday afternoon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
David R
First Team
First Team


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Last Visit: 02 Jun 2017
Posts: 805
Topics: 33
Location: Jeju Island, South Korea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My colours are nailed firmly to the post, i will continue to go to every game home and away if possible and support my team, it's one thing showing a bit of frustration, its another to moan from the first whistle all the way through the match, and to seem to actually take delight in the dip in form of late. It will all come good. COYR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bianchiboy
Subs bench
Subs bench


Joined: 13 Nov 2010
Last Visit: 28 Jun 2017
Posts: 537
Topics: 16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armchairfan wrote:
Nick wrote:
I'm not happy how we are playing but will continue to support the team 100% and will keep going to the games whatever the result or the performance. I know a lot of people will decide not to go and that is understandable but I won't be one of them.

Supporting your team through thick and thin is a given isn't it?
It's the fact that we have many that don't that cements my point that many of our 'followers' are half hearted and let's face it,a bit clueless.
I suspect that many of them are just as happy having a run down to Asda on a Saturday afternoon.


Could not agree more Armchair. I find it amazing that someone posts on here that he can't wait to go and watch Millwall because of our present form, and he gets support from other fans for his post. On virtually any other club's forum in the land he would be getting pelters, but on here he is championed!
Also this banging on about our support being small because we are playing badly, what a load of tosh. Our support is small whether we are playing well or not, it is the same 2500 (give or take a few hundred here and there) who are turning up to our home games, and have been since the start of the season. We may lose some floating fans due to our present form (or lack of it) but that is the way it goes, we also pick up fans when we are playing well or playing against a bigger team (the upcoming Wolves game for example).
I could not agree more about our standard of football at the moment, it is painful to watch at times, but that does not mean I am off to watch Brighton next week because of it. A few years of uninterrupted success at this club has created some very fickle fans who should be digging deep to support their club, not running away at the first sign of trouble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
guildford roader
First Team
First Team


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Last Visit: 29 May 2017
Posts: 848
Topics: 11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A game for the technically minded than eye candy stuff. We are getting predictable in our formation and easy to read. It will be a good test of RB to be more adaptable. I do think a 442 or 532 formation is worth having in the back pocket where BillyC plays behind the front 2 and Bully in front of the back 4. There are loads of options to fill the other 2 midfield spots. I thought Drury had a good game yesterday - he didn't hide and was involved a lot. Adams was poor, his performances have been on the decline for a while IMO. We had to work really hard for a point. We are up against much higher quality opponents and Walsall are up there. The quality of the link up play between Sawyers and Westcarr was class and as a football fan, enjoyable to watch. Very big game at Crewe - please not a lone striker tactic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alun
Subs bench
Subs bench


Joined: 30 Sep 2007
Last Visit: 26 May 2017
Posts: 392
Topics: 13
Location: Pound Hill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage wrote:
Ian wrote:
I didn't miss much then? Smile Cool


You missed me looking for you in the bar before the game!


He's even happier he missed the snorefest now!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mickf
Coach
Coach


Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Last Visit: 14 Dec 2014
Posts: 3026
Topics: 49
Location: Southgate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianchiboy wrote:
Armchairfan wrote:
Nick wrote:
I'm not happy how we are playing but will continue to support the team 100% and will keep going to the games whatever the result or the performance. I know a lot of people will decide not to go and that is understandable but I won't be one of them.

Supporting your team through thick and thin is a given isn't it?
It's the fact that we have many that don't that cements my point that many of our 'followers' are half hearted and let's face it,a bit clueless.
I suspect that many of them are just as happy having a run down to Asda on a Saturday afternoon.


Could not agree more Armchair. I find it amazing that someone posts on here that he can't wait to go and watch Millwall because of our present form, and he gets support from other fans for his post. On virtually any other club's forum in the land he would be getting pelters, but on here he is championed!
Also this banging on about our support being small because we are playing badly, what a load of tosh. Our support is small whether we are playing well or not, it is the same 2500 (give or take a few hundred here and there) who are turning up to our home games, and have been since the start of the season. We may lose some floating fans due to our present form (or lack of it) but that is the way it goes, we also pick up fans when we are playing well or playing against a bigger team (the upcoming Wolves game for example).
I could not agree more about our standard of football at the moment, it is painful to watch at times, but that does not mean I am off to watch Brighton next week because of it. A few years of uninterrupted success at this club has created some very fickle fans who should be digging deep to support their club, not running away at the first sign of trouble.

Where is all the support on here for the Millwall fan (who has posted in the past about giving up his season ticket and getting back to watching Millwall - as if they are like watching Brazil!!)) I found one post that agreed with his sentiment about a basically a tedious match, but you answer your own point about our lack of fans by saying it will pick up when we start playing better!
People have been used to seeing success over the last few years, and obviously it cannot continue unchecked for ever but what is killing us with efforts to attract fans at the moment is passionless tedious low tempo football with no real attempt to get players forward and hurt the other team. We pass it around in the middle a bit but when we attack we leave four defenders and two defensive midfield sitting in front of them! Hurst's one strength is his attacking play but he barely got forward and at times looked to be avoiding the ball (when Jones had the ball in hand he would move to the halfway line and stand next to one of their players rather than go for a throw from the keeper)
Yes we make a few mistakes at the back to give away goals, but if we were more pre occupied with driving forward a) we would score more to make the mistakes less of an issue b) the defence would be under less pressure with us being up the other end more often.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Simon
Manager
Manager


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 12671
Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Mick. Dross like yesterday will not get more bums on seats. Simple as that. People pay decent money and want to be entertained.

3 goals in the last 6 home league games does not cut it. Simple as that. It has bugger all to do whether you are a loyal fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wodin
First Team
First Team


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 27 May 2017
Posts: 1347
Topics: 53
Location: the computer wing of the mansion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The counter argument may be that even given our incredible success over the past 5 or so years...although we have improved our crowds we have still not attracted the 5,000 + crowds we should do given the catchment area and the relative success of the team.

It is more than simply the style of football ( although that may help)...it is about building a CTFC brand that will sell tickets, and there are a multitude of issues that feed into that including; success on the field ( despite the method of play), engagement in the community, merchandising, 'specials', i.e. gifts and freebies and no doubt other important factors.

If we knew the answer...we would be in better position. We are lucky to still have a degree of backing from the owners and I sincerely hope we continue our meteoric rise. However, will support the club come what may.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mickf
Coach
Coach


Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Last Visit: 14 Dec 2014
Posts: 3026
Topics: 49
Location: Southgate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wodin wrote:
The counter argument may be that even given our incredible success over the past 5 or so years...although we have improved our crowds we have still not attracted the 5,000 + crowds we should do given the catchment area and the relative success of the team.

It is more than simply the style of football ( although that may help)...it is about building a CTFC brand that will sell tickets, and there are a multitude of issues that feed into that including; success on the field ( despite the method of play), engagement in the community, merchandising, 'specials', i.e. gifts and freebies and no doubt other important factors.

If we knew the answer...we would be in better position. We are lucky to still have a degree of backing from the owners and I sincerely hope we continue our meteoric rise. However, will support the club come what may.

I think to be attracting the crowds up to the 4/5000s (apart from the huge clubs bringing 2000 with them) we need to be winning home games and being in the play off/promotion spots over a consistent period of time.
As Simon has said our home form and performances have been pretty dire (from an entertainment point of view not from a football scientists viewpoint!) and we have done well to retain the 2900 or so home fans, but it will not grow (or even level out) until we get some exciting performances and results, hopefully starting against a very inconsistent Swindon on Tuesday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 13 Jul 2017
Posts: 5443
Topics: 208
Location: Worth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
0-0 half time.

Only one word - dire.


It wasn't that good!

Seriously, a game with two very equal sides canceling each other out in midfield. Because of that there was nothing for the forwards to get on to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum






This forum is run independently from and has no connection with the Crawley Town Football Club official site
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group :: Spelling by SpellingCow.


  Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit