CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Millwall friendly thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

Topics: 59

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why oh why do I bother.

First half ok game of football. Millwall slightly better than us but we were competing.

The goal was annoying. Full back left alone with two wide men. Embarassed Guess what? A cross comes in. Free bloomin' header. Evil or Very Mad

We didn't look threatening but we were not far away.

Second half. Our kids come on. Isaacs in the middle looked quite good but in truth it was men against boys. They were just bigger and stronger than us. The problem is we have to attract them back next season (or someone similar). Putting out sides like that is taking the micky out of them and US FANS. It doesn't help the kids themselves either.

Jim Baker
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some post-match reaction on Reds Player.

RB - http://www.player.crawleytownf.....-Millwall.
Mark Connolly - http://www.player.crawleytownf.....t-Millwall

And a clip of Conns is on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?f.....9wI17orR_M
Greg
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 378

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Baker wrote:
Why oh why do I bother.

First half ok game of football. Millwall slightly better than us but we were competing.

The goal was annoying. Full back left alone with two wide men. Embarassed Guess what? A cross comes in. Free bloomin' header. Evil or Very Mad

Second half. Our kids come on. Isaacs in the middle looked quite good but in truth it was men against boys. They were just bigger and stronger than us. The problem is we have to attract them back next season (or someone similar). Putting out sides like that is taking the micky out of them and US FANS. It doesn't help the kids themselves either.

Jim Baker

Well done for going. I'd even bought a ticket for today but once I heard we had 5 players out injured decided that I just couldn't be bothered to waste my time watching 45 minutes of our youth team, really doesn't do anything for me. I've got tickets for Brighton and Palace but if we don't look like putting out a stronger squad for those games then I'll be giving them a miss too.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Baker wrote:
Why oh why do I bother.

Jim Baker

They beat us 1-0 in the second half so we surely can't have been that bad.

That said I never bother with PSFs.
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It wasn't a case of how bad we were but how many Millwall wanted to score.

I don't go in for slagging players off and in this case it's not valid but putting a team of youth players against strong championship players can only hurt their developement. For example, Alex Mallin. He looks a decent prospect. He has some pace and looks to read the game well but he was bullied by Danny N'Guessan. No disgrace in that as I'm sure Mr N'Guessan will do that to better defenders and if you are giving nearly a whole team an experience like that then you may be storing up problems. Now if it was Mallin and a n other then that's a good thing to do but after 60 minutes I counted four players who have realistic chances of appearing in the match day squad and one of those was the keeper.

Then there's the spectacle... Or rather lack of it. I expect to see changes, I expect to see some players I'll never hear of again during the friendlies but we should compete. Every time we tried to get forward we were pushed of the ball. It's a friendly but I do pay to be entertained.

Rant over.

Jim Baker
Crawley69
Coach
Coach

Topics: 195

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say after the Ipswich game a made a decision not to attend the friendlies with the possible expecting of Palace ...assuming we will field a near first 11 by then.

We certainly have one of the smallest first team squads think I would say we have 16 - 17 players so inevitable we will play a lot of youngsters when we have all these friendly games. Either way it just doesn't do anything for me watching a game played at 80 percent and all these changes being made.
lochislair
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 129

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only went to the game to get out of hoovering. The hoovering would probably have been more fun.
oldcodger
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tend to agree with most comments, poor game overall, thought Millwall were a little to competitive for a friendly.
We only had one shot on target and never looked liked scoring.
Came down from Stoke and was disappointed that we did not really compete.
Understand it was very hot and a friendly however I did pay to get entertained and thought I did not get my monies worth.

Crowd of 1391 with 651 from Millwall sums it all up I suppose.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Baker wrote:
Quote:

It wasn't a case of how bad we were but how many Millwall wanted to score.

I don't go in for slagging players off and in this case it's not valid but putting a team of youth players against strong championship players can only hurt their developement. For example, Alex Mallin. He looks a decent prospect. He has some pace and looks to read the game well but he was bullied by Danny N'Guessan. No disgrace in that as I'm sure Mr N'Guessan will do that to better defenders and if you are giving nearly a whole team an experience like that then you may be storing up problems. Now if it was Mallin and a n other then that's a good thing to do but after 60 minutes I counted four players who have realistic chances of appearing in the match day squad and one of those was the keeper.

Then there's the spectacle... Or rather lack of it. I expect to see changes, I expect to see some players I'll never hear of again during the friendlies but we should compete. Every time we tried to get forward we were pushed of the ball. It's a friendly but I do pay to be entertained.

Rant over.

Jim Baker

But N'Guessan has almost 200 league appearances and Malins was on loan in the Conf South last season. What did you expect to happen? The time to give these kids experience is in games like this where there is less pressure rather than chuck them in the deep end.

As for the spectacle, it is quite normal that you get 11 subs a game including youngsters who are on trial and kids needing experience. Surely you would have known that? That's why many people (myself included) give it a miss.
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
As for the spectacle, it is quite normal that you get 11 subs a game...

We even out did that today. We made 12 substitutions. Billy Clarke was the "lucky" sub to be subbed himself.
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos from this afternoon's game.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m.....628250160/
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
Some photos from this afternoon's game.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m.....628250160/

The ref has a funny hair do Laughing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m.....4628250160
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the away following slightly wrong about 600 I think it was that made the home crowd down on the ipswich game mind you it never looks like 1400 we have all seen have how useless gary a is so what was the point of playing him today? Mike jones is probably the only player to take some credit for this performance he looked like he seariously meant business so thank you mike as for the rest I was second best virtually all the game it ucas about an hour before they goalkeeper had to make a save that is how bad we played. All those changes have just distracted the game there was no point it just showed the manager didn't know what he was doing some players out there only had a few minutes what was the point? Why must we persist with gary alexander up from all the time billy clarke had to do all the work and create things for himself millwall we're by far the best side throughout I could of won easily if I really wanted to buy for more goals in the final minute yheyplayed keep ball and we run around like headless chickens. I saw nothing today tosuggezt that we will do anything but struggle this season
David R
First Team
First Team

Topics: 33

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergio Photo Bombing the Ref.
Jim Baker
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But N'Guessan has almost 200 league appearances and Malins was on loan in the Conf South last season. What did you expect to happen?

You're missing my point.

Malins will get bullied ny the likes of N'Guessan. I expect that and it's good experience for him.

The problem I had was it was youth teamers all over the pitch. It doesn't do the youngsters any favours because they do not see enough of the ball, or get help from experienced pros around them. That just end up like cod in a chippy on Friday night. Battered!

Jim Baker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: