CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Connor Essam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of money... if Akpan was due to play circa 20 odd games for us before his contract expired (generous when you consider his capacity to get suspended)... by selling him for 300k...

...Reading have effectively paid us 15k per game to do without his services.
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Speaking of money... if Akpan was due to play circa 20 odd games for us before his contract expired (generous when you consider his capacity to get suspended)... by selling him for 300k...

Sadly not, as we'd still have gained some sort of fee for Akpan from a tribunal.

Nice try though!

Laughing
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
thad wrote:

Sadly not, as we'd still have gained some sort of fee for Akpan from a tribunal.

Nice try though!

Laughing

But isn't my assessment still accurate...? (and it doesn't even allow for savings on the wage bill)
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.player.crawleytownf.....nnor-Essam
Quote:
Connor Essam talks to Reds Player after joining the club from Gillingham.
James
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
James wrote:
thad wrote:

Nice try though!

Laughing

But isn't my assessment still accurate...? (and it doesn't even allow for savings on the wage bill)

Factually, it is!

Damn you for that.
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a couple of the recent signings only joining on short contracts it's worth noting that Essam has been handed a deal until the end of the 2014/15 season.

http://www.crawleytownfc.com/n.....39456.aspx
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
thad wrote:

But isn't my assessment still accurate...?

Factually, it is!

Damn you for that.

You know me... a stickler for the facts...

.. and never one to spread muck, gossip or conspiracies Embarassed
Ian
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 214

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterPOC wrote:
Ross wrote:
PeterPOC wrote:
I think it's appalling a 20-year old in any walk of life earns 47,000 a year, if the figures are true, of course, He better HAD be good.

Why ?

Kids need to learn about the value of money, assuming he's like any other kid and hasn't. If he drives, I bet he has a flash, powerful car, of which he's not really in control.

Somebody tell me he has a mortgage or pays for his grandparents' care bills - THEN I might be more forgiving. With money comes responsibility.

Goodness me, what nonsense Peter. You come across like a jealous, bitter fifty something stuck in a dead end job earning 16k...
mickf
Coach
Coach

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ali C wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:
Have to agree about the in experienc ein our team, as always need a balance but we look like a very young squad now..its not like the youngsters ahve palyed a lot of games at a higher level either most have palyed ahrdly any football at any professional level.

I personally don't see what's wrong with that and I also think we have enough experience in the squad with the likes of bulman, fadz, p jones and a few others to balance it out

I wish all the young players well, but you havent exactly listed a raft of experience in there, and with strong rumours about Fadz still going to Bristol we have potentially lost our two best players and replaced them with free agents and inexperienced youngsters, when we were looking to use the window to kick on for a play off push as much as build for the future?
Maybe it is just me taking time to adjust to the fact that we no longer have any clout in the transfer market? Confused
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
...we have potentially lost our two best players and replaced them with free agents and inexperienced youngsters...

Weren't those "two best players" once also signed by us as inexperienced youngsters...?
Sulton111
First Team
First Team

Topics: 30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickf wrote:
Ali C wrote:
Crawley69 wrote:
Have to agree about the in experienc ein our team, as always need a balance but we look like a very young squad now..its not like the youngsters ahve palyed a lot of games at a higher level either most have palyed ahrdly any football at any professional level.

I personally don't see what's wrong with that and I also think we have enough experience in the squad with the likes of bulman, fadz, p jones and a few others to balance it out

I wish all the young players well, but you havent exactly listed a raft of experience in there, and with strong rumours about Fadz still going to Bristol we have potentially lost our two best players and replaced them with free agents and inexperienced youngsters, when we were looking to use the window to kick on for a play off push as much as build for the future?
Maybe it is just me taking time to adjust to the fact that we no longer have any clout in the transfer market? Confused

I think your right Mick

We have lost alot of experience and replaced them with great young prospects but really thats all they are at this stage - we still need a CB with plenty of experience to help bring on Connolly, Essem and Walsh as i doubt Fadz will be here much longer to learn from.

All in all its been a strange transfer window for me losing the Beast without a fee even a nominal one is shameful, yes i know he wanted to be closer to his family and i applaude the club for allowing him to go 'home' but we should have at least said to Rotherham we want 10k or so to lessen the loss.

Still i think with Dumbuya coming in as well maybe we will see the RB and LB bombing forward trying to create more with Sparrow holding the middle allowing Connolly or Walsh to move across to cover the runs Dumbuya will undoubtedly bring to us.
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulton111 wrote:
...to move across to cover the runs Dumbuya will undoubtedly bring to us.

bootyshake
Sulton111
First Team
First Team

Topics: 30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Sulton111 wrote:

bootyshake
im not really sure how to take that comment Wink
PeterPOC
Squad member
Squad member

Topics: 38

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
PeterPOC wrote:
Ross wrote:
PeterPOC wrote:
I think it's appalling a 20-year old in any walk of life earns 47,000 a year, if the figures are true, of course, He better HAD be good.

Why ?

Kids need to learn about the value of money, assuming he's like any other kid and hasn't. If he drives, I bet he has a flash, powerful car, of which he's not really in control.

Somebody tell me he has a mortgage or pays for his grandparents' care bills - THEN I might be more forgiving. With money comes responsibility.

Goodness me, what nonsense Peter. You come across like a jealous, bitter fifty something stuck in a dead end job earning 16k...

Far from it. Very happy with my salary, which is more than what Connor is reportedly getting, thankfully, but it doesn't stop me having a view on what youngsters earn, and their rights and responsibilities. In addition, more importantly, what supposedly hard-up clubs are prepared to pay.

From what the Gills fans said, he sounds a rounded lad. We're getting somewhere. There's a court case going on involving similarly-aged players from two other local clubs - I'm not going to comment on the detail, but the very fact youngsters can afford rooms at a top hotel in Brighton, which no-one is denying, can lead to issues.

P.S. Not yet 50!
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulton111 wrote:
thad wrote:
Sulton111 wrote:

bootyshake
im not really sure how to take that comment Wink

I think you may be confusing him with Novovirus Confused

PeterPOC wrote:
In addition, more importantly, what supposedly hard-up clubs are prepared to pay.

That is the point... it doesn't matter about age or earnings... it is that careful balance between market expectation and the value of the return on your investment... football is littered with clubs who got it wrong...!

Last edited by thad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: