CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

Colchester United matchday thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulc222
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 103

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an element of comedy at one point in the game regarding Gary Alexander. When he got carded a few people nearby started with "Off - off -off" Smile
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

Topics: 379

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:
There was an element of comedy at one point in the game regarding Gary Alexander. When he got carded a few people nearby started with "Off - off -off" Smile
shame RB cant see how unpopular he is making Gary by playing him all the time
bandy1954
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 66

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil B wrote:
Peter wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
Billy showed RB to be a clown leaving him out of the Bournemouth match

Listen to Billy's post-match interview. He knew he would't start as RB didn't want to rush him back from his injury only for him to niggle it and be out longer. Makes sense to me.

Don't let common sense and facts get in the way of an R, R & R rant ..... Laughing

I heard the interview. Makes sense now when explained that way why Clarke didn't start last match. He does a very good interview, I thought.
crawleyguy21
Reserve team
Reserve team

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt the best game i have seen and we didnt play amazingly well but Colchester were a poor side with only there number 30 looking like he could do something to hurt us. All in all i felt we kept them at arms lentgh all the way through and our defence espically Connelly looked good.
Up front clarke looked good as did adams but when alexander was through in the first half it just showed the sad truth of who was once a really good strong striker. His confidence looks low and he knew he had to shoot from miles out cos of how slow he is now. Against colchester we got away with it but against better teams that should of been a goal and going in 2-0up at half time. I actually thought he had one of his better games today and he actually flicks the ball on quite alot there just isnt anyone there to take it on after him.
Midfield was ok simpson had one of his quieter games but was ok akpan had a few good moves but looked sluggish jones does what he always does and ran alot but mainly passed the ball backwards. All in all we missed someone to put there foot on the ball and spread it around, mainly because bulman was on the bench.
All in all another 3 points and over 40 now which can only be great news! I just wonder if we actually had a half decent forward in place of alexander some of them draws at home could of been wins and who knows where we would of been.
In a good position though and hopefully with a couple signings this month we can push on for the rest of the season!!
bandy1954
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 66

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crawleyguy21 wrote:
Wasnt the best game i have seen and we didnt play amazingly well but Colchester were a poor side with only there number 30 looking like he could do something to hurt us. All in all i felt we kept them at arms lentgh all the way through and our defence espically Connelly looked good.
Up front clarke looked good as did adams but when alexander was through in the first half it just showed the sad truth of who was once a really good strong striker. His confidence looks low and he knew he had to shoot from miles out cos of how slow he is now. Against colchester we got away with it but against better teams that should of been a goal and going in 2-0up at half time. I actually thought he had one of his better games today and he actually flicks the ball on quite alot there just isnt anyone there to take it on after him.
Midfield was ok simpson had one of his quieter games but was ok akpan had a few good moves but looked sluggish jones does what he always does and ran alot but mainly passed the ball backwards. All in all we missed someone to put there foot on the ball and spread it around, mainly because bulman was on the bench.
All in all another 3 points and over 40 now which can only be great news! I just wonder if we actually had a half decent forward in place of alexander some of them draws at home could of been wins and who knows where we would of been.
In a good position though and hopefully with a couple signings this month we can push on for the rest of the season!!

Onwards and upwards. Per arduum ad Astra!
Greg
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 378

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colchester probably the worst team we've played all season, you can see how Chelmsford managed to knock them out of the FA Cup!

Positives for us were definitely Walsh, Connolly and Billy. Great start, we could have been 2 or 3 up after 15 minutes, great pass from Hope and quality finish from Nicky Adams for the 3rd goal.

Thought we lost out in m/f, was that down to the formation? Still think playing with M Jones and Nicky Adams is a luxury, that we'd be better off with someone like Danny Bulman in m/f, and then Adams given a slightly more free attacking role. With Bulman, Josh and Hope in the centre I don't think we'd have lost out like we did yesterday.

Remain unconvinced by M Jones, he did put in one great ball and played a couple of neat passes but otherwise he doesn't seem to add much - never beats his man, usually goes backwards or sideways, not sure what he adds?

GA worked his socks off again but looks out of his depth to me, no pace, can't score goals, generally out-muscled by their pretty ordinary centre backs.

You can see where we need strengthening, up front, at right back and a real creative player in m/f. let's hope RB can bring the right players in.

Great that we are over 40 points now, what an achievement, though I think we could be doing even better if we can add a goalscorer. I don't think Reading will be losing too much sleep after seeing us yesterday but anything can happen on the day.

If I was picking a team to play Reading I'd go with:

Jones

Connolly Walsh Davis Sadler

Bulman

Akpan Simpson

Adams Clarke

Alexander

It's kind of a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1.
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 208

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc222 wrote:

You're not allowed to say that as you need a sense of humour. Some people on this forum get upset if you have one of those.
Peter

Topics: 1558

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more post-match reaction.

RB on Reds Player - http://www.player.crawleytownf.....Colchester
Billy Clarke on Reds Player - http://www.player.crawleytownf.....Colchester
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due a combination of New Year partying and jetlag... I managed to charm "the bird" (in a moment of weakness by her) and she actually agreed to attend the match on condition that we sat in the stand.... Halfway through the second half she said "I'm not sure what Hope Akpan brings to the side"...?

She had a point, he was often peripheral and seemed determined to give the ball back to the opposition and then strolled around like a sulky teenager.

Colchester had great comedy value and their defence could provide an instructional video on "how not to..", we weren't brilliant but had enough to make it a routine win... but it could have been different as they had a gilt-edge chance when only a goal down and surprised themselves by not equalising.

Still, it's been an enjoyable year so far...!
thedarkhorse
First Team
First Team

Topics: 19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it just me or did Hunt spend some time waving to the fans at the end of the game?
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedarkhorse wrote:
Was it just me or did Hunt spend some time waving to the fans at the end of the game?

No, it wasn't just you he was waving to.

Wink
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
Colchester probably the worst team we've played all season, you can see how Chelmsford managed to knock them out of the FA Cup!

Positives for us were definitely Walsh, Connolly and Billy. Great start, we could have been 2 or 3 up after 15 minutes, great pass from Hope and quality finish from Nicky Adams for the 3rd goal.

Thought we lost out in m/f, was that down to the formation? Still think playing with M Jones and Nicky Adams is a luxury, that we'd be better off with someone like Danny Bulman in m/f, and then Adams given a slightly more free attacking role. With Bulman, Josh and Hope in the centre I don't think we'd have lost out like we did yesterday.

Remain unconvinced by M Jones, he did put in one great ball and played a couple of neat passes but otherwise he doesn't seem to add much - never beats his man, usually goes backwards or sideways, not sure what he adds?

GA worked his socks off again but looks out of his depth to me, no pace, can't score goals, generally out-muscled by their pretty ordinary centre backs.

You can see where we need strengthening, up front, at right back and a real creative player in m/f. let's hope RB can bring the right players in.

Great that we are over 40 points now, what an achievement, though I think we could be doing even better if we can add a goalscorer. I don't think Reading will be losing too much sleep after seeing us yesterday but anything can happen on the day.

If I was picking a team to play Reading I'd go with:

Jones

Connolly Walsh Davis Sadler

Bulman

Akpan Simpson

Adams Clarke

Alexander

It's kind of a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1.
exactly put in perspective Chelmsford were the worst team to ever play at the Broadfield in he stadiums history so really we mightve won 3-0 but we still played poor in many areas and for large periods of the match.
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedarkhorse wrote:
hopefully he was waving goodbye thanks Hunty for the past but time to move aside as really you are not up to the std of this league
Armchairfan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, Red & Red wrote:
thedarkhorse wrote:
hopefully he was waving goodbye thanks Hunty for the past but time to move aside as really you are not up to the std of this league

The defence must have had a shocker,what with a clean sheet and whatever eh. Rolling Eyes
Red, Red & Red
Manager
Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armchairfan wrote:
Red, Red & Red wrote:
thedarkhorse wrote:

The defence must have had a shocker,what with a clean sheet and whatever eh. Rolling Eyes
they did at times yes and thankfully we have a superb keeper together with the awful strikers finishing from Colchester.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: