CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index
CTFC.net on Facebook CTFC.net on Twitter CTFC.net photos
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   
ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   

Crawley links: CTFC.net | Official site | Reds Player | CTFC YouTube | Club shop | Ticket sales | Supporters Alliance | GH Coaches | Broadfield Stadium | CTFC.net's Gallery | CTFC History | General links: Crawley Observer | Crawley News | The Argus | Ross Mitchell Photography | Football League 2 | BBCi League 2 pages | BBC Sussex | BBC Radio Sussex | BBC Radio Surrey | The Football League Paper | Football Web Pages | Football Ground Guide | Oddschecker |

The Bluebirds turn red
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notso
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 208

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: The Bluebirds turn red Reply with quote

If some of you thought that our new red and white strip is a bridge too far, check out the problems that Cardiff City have after changing their strip from blue to red.

Kinda strange for a club nicknamed the Bluebirds!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-w.....s-18716186
Town_Two
Youth team
Youth team

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of examples exist for clubs that have changed their colours in the past.

Leeds United, Palace. Even Manchester United played in a hideous vile version of a Norwich strip-when they were known by another name as well! (Newton Heath)
Captain Yellow
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that there are "plenty of examples" and most changes have happened relatively early in a club's history.

Leeds had only been consistently yellow and blue for about 30 yrs before Revie turned them white.

ManUre have played in red shirts since 1902.

Palace have always been various shades of red/blue (with flirtations of the red/blue appearing on white).

The closest modern example is probably Luton changing from white to orange in the early 70s.

Ever since the club became Cardiff City in 1908 they have played in blue shirts, so this is a pretty major upheaval. Shirt colour is a major part of a club's identity, even more since the purchase of replica shirts by fans became commonplace - think of all the red colouring around the Broadfield! The club badge has also been changed to a red dragon. To introduce such a radical change on an owner's whim and, seemingly, against the wishes of the vast majority is not a nice development. Perhaps the owners are going to change the club name as well to Wrexham South?
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bluebirds turn red Reply with quote

notso wrote:
If some of you thought that our new red and white strip is a bridge too far, check out the problems that Cardiff City have after changing their strip from blue to red.

Scientific fact... The more red in your strip... the higher the psychological advantage over the opposition... particularly if they are wearing meek submissive white shorts Wink
Damo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Yellow wrote:

Ever since the club became Cardiff City in 1908 they have played in blue shirts, so this is a pretty major upheaval. Shirt colour is a major part of a club's identity, even more since the purchase of replica shirts by fans became commonplace - think of all the red colouring around the Broadfield! The club badge has also been changed to a red dragon. To introduce such a radical change on an owner's whim and, seemingly, against the wishes of the vast majority is not a nice development. Perhaps the owners are going to change the club name as well to Wrexham South?

That's putting it mildly. However, the sweetener is an investment of 100m. Well, when they say investment, they're actually talking about adding to the debt with further loans (repayable at 7% interest to the owners) with some vague notion of converting debt to equity if they ever make the prem and/or get Sam Hammam off their backs. In the mean time the fans are forced to put up with a radical change in shirt colour and a new badge that looks like a 1970's beer mat - as you say, all on the whim of a very rich man.

Modern football, eh?
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change to a red kit is apparently to exploit the fact that red is considered a lucky colour in a number of Asian countries.

Being a follower of Cardiff City, I'm not convinced myself....

Crying or Very sad
Town_Two
Youth team
Youth team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote= seemingly, against the wishes of the vast majority is not a nice development. Perhaps the owners are going to change the club name as well to Wrexham South?[/quote]

Oh I suspect that the "vast majority" are looking at the 100 million quid bung and quietly going along with it.....

For that sort of money they probably could change the name to Taffies United without much of a grumble as well.
Phil T
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 102

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, if Crawley Town FC were to change the home colours to blue, how many people would stop supporting the team?

I suspect very few.......
NorthgateRed
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Topics: 70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:
Out of interest, if Crawley Town FC were to change the home colours to blue, how many people would stop supporting the team?

Doesn't meant any of us would be happy about it though. And if there was considerable investment in the club off the back of it, it would be a change worth making. Would we change from Red Devils to Blue Nuns? Smile
thad
Director of Football
Director of Football

Topics: 639

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:

Just so long as there are no white shorts involved Razz
Town_Two
Youth team
Youth team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:

Given I'm a 'make CTFC your second team' person. I wouldn't have any problem with blue at all.

(and no, I'm definitely NOT Chelsea!)
Damo
Subs bench
Subs bench

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil T wrote:

That's a really interesting question (in my view Confused ).

You hardcore few hundred and so who have followed Crawley from Town Mead - how would you feel if next season the kit was turned to blue?. Let's say the badge carries a blue tiger (or something) because the owner quite likes the idea.

Would the chant be "come on you blues" from the first game onwards? . Would you be a bit peeved but shrug your shoulders and get on with it? Or would you walk away in the hope that the owner gets the message quickly that your cherished heritage is not to be messed with?

Just asking. You may ask - what relevance has this to us? My own view is that football is on a path where any club could fall victim to this nonsense.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Damo Suzuki wrote:
Phil T wrote:

You hardcore few hundred and so who have followed Crawley from Town Mead - how would you feel if next season the kit was turned to blue?. Let's say the badge carries a blue tiger (or something) because the owner quite likes the idea.

Would the chant be "come on you blues" from the first game onwards? . Would you be a bit peeved but shrug your shoulders and get on with it? Or would you walk away in the hope that the owner gets the message quickly that your cherished heritage is not to be messed with?

Just asking. You may ask - what relevance has this to us? My own view is that football is on a path where any club could fall victim to this nonsense.

Depends if it was also accompanied by a "substantial transfer kitty".
Damo
Subs bench
Subs bench

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
I am Damo Suzuki wrote:
Phil T wrote:

Really? so how much of a value would you place on the club colours and
badge? 100k,? 1m? More?

I'm really not having any sort of a go here. I'm genuinely interested.
Simon
Manager
Manager

Topics: 380

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Damo Suzuki wrote:
Simon wrote:
I am Damo Suzuki wrote:
Phil T wrote:

Really? so how much of a value would you place on the club colours and
badge? 100k,? 1m? More?

I'm really not having any sort of a go here. I'm genuinely interested.

Honest answer - I don't know, but in Cardiff's case it has paid off legacy debts and given them a chance to push on to the next level.

In any case with this season's shirt we seem to have half moved away from the red....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    CTFC.net Fans Forum -> Forum Index -> Talk football All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: